The fashion industry is a broad industry; we have so many examples seen in India itself. Many students go abroad to study fashion courses like fashion technology, fashion designing, fashion journalism or communication etc.
Basically, the term taken to study abroad in Fashion is designing so we will be discussing it majorly in the following.
There are various kind of people needed for making a brand popular, fashion designers like Manish Malhotra, Ritu Kumar, Sabyasachi Mukherji are some of the top designers of India and their fashion brand is class apart with stunner clothes they design.
Some of them have obtained foreign education and it has been a huge benefit to them.
What is it?
- Fashion designing is to design clothes in the most creative and comfortable way
- Designing of various kinds of clothes change with the latest fashion trends, trends change in months or days, designers keep themselves updated with that.
- Designs are influenced with the cultural, social attitudes and are varied over time and place
- Fashion designing also has a concept to comprehend where the designers need to know that with fashion there is comfort, it is then customers are attracted.
- Modern fashion designs are divided into two parts – haute couture and ready to wear.
- The haute couture collection is reserved for certain customers and is custom sized to fit them exactly. In order to qualify as a haute couture house, a designer has to be part of the Syndical Chamber for Haute Couture and show a new collection twice a year presenting at least 35 different outfits each time.
- Ready to wear are the standard size which are on sale for the larger public, it is available at affordable prices for the middle-class society.
Subjects in Fashion Designing
- Fabrics and Raw materials
- Tools and Materials
- Clothing Designing
- Product Making
- Pattern making by hand
- Surface ornamentation
- History of fashion designing.
- Youth fashion market
The fashion designers can be in the following departments
- Clothing designers create and help design men's, women's, and children's apparel, including casual wear, suits, sportswear, evening wear, outerwear, maternity clothing, etc.
- Footwear designers create and help design different styles of shoes and boots. As new materials, such as lightweight synthetic materials used in shoe soles, become available, footwear designers produce new designs that combine comfort, form, and function.
- Accessory designers design and produce items such as handbags, suitcases, belts, scarves, hats, hosiery, and eyewear.
- Costume designers design costumes for the performing arts and for motion picture and television productions. They research the styles worn during the period in which the performance takes place, or they work with directors to select and create appropriate attire. They also must stay within the costume budget for the particular production.
Various degrees in Fashion Abroad
There are mostly bachelors and diploma degrees preferred for this course.
- BA (Hons) In Fashion Design ( 3 years )
- EBFD ( European’s Bachelor’s degree in fashion styling and communication ) for 3 years
- Bachelor’s In Fashion (Design Technology) for 3 years
- Masters In Fashion Design ( 1 year )
- Masters in Digital Fashion Communication ( 2 years )
- Masters in Fashion Business ( 1 year )
- Diploma in Fashion Design ( short course )
- Diploma in Fashion Product Design ( 1 year )
Various Courses Offered in Fashion Abroad
- Diploma of Applied Fashion Designing and Merchandising
- BA (Hons) in Fashion Communication and Promotion
- BA ( Hons ) in Fashion Designing ( Nottingham University )
- Diploma in Fashion Marketing and Communication
- Diploma in Fashion New Media
- Masters in Fashion Communication and Styling
- Masters in Fashion Communication and Management
Top countries offering Fashion designing abroad
- UK – London is known as the heart of fashion world, it is a great opportunity if one gets a chance to study fashion designing there. Along with the major studies you also come across this vibrant city which is filled with art, music and theatre.
- US – the country being a step ahead in IT and business is also a very good location to study fashion designing as the universities offering prestigious and unique courses for the same. US is also called the fashion capital, where you can have the chance to learn and experience from the valley of choices and opportunities
- France – France has some very good colleges to study fashion designing abroad, Paris fashion week is the highlight of the fashion world’s calendar.
- Italy – some of the most important manufacturers and fashion houses reside there, students studying there gain experience in shows like Milan’s Fashion Week and many more. Various good universities for fashion dwell here
- China – it is one of the fastest growing fashion markets in the world and the institutions are growing both in quantity and quality. There are many fashion schools in China having ties with French schools and students can opt to study in English. Students get a good exposure to the ever – changing fashion market.
Scholarships for Fashion Designing
- ESMOD Scholarships Berlin
- Istituto Marangoni Scholarships, Europe
- Liz Claiborne Fashion Scholarship, US
- Mead Scholarships for London College of Fashion, University of the Arts London – Indian students can apply for this scholarship in the second or final year of their BA (Hons)
- LVMH Scholarships for MA in Fashion Communication UK , 2019
- Elbert and Lucy Allred Scholarships
- Liz Claiborne Fashion Scholarship, US
- YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund
Career and Job Prospects
You can be the following if you join the fashion industry
Art directors are in charge for the visuals i.e. images in magazines, newspapers, product packaging, and movie and television productions. They create the overall design of a project and direct others who develop artwork and layouts.
Floral designers, also called florists, cut and set up live, dried, and silk flowers and greenery to make decorative displays. They also help customers pick and choose flowers, containers, ribbons, and other accessories.
Jewellers and Precious Stone and Metal Workers
Jewellers and precious stone and metal workers design, create, adjust, repair, appraise and sell jewellery.
Models pose for artists, photographers, and other clients to help advertise a variety of products, including clothing, cosmetics, food, and appliances. Models also work as fitting models, enabling the fashion designer to achieve the best fit for new styles.
The annual salaries of fashion designers are usual as other jobs but as you excel in your creativity your pay increases.
Some other posts you have if you study fashion designing
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Illustrator
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Co-ordinator
- Fashion Consultant
- Fashion Merchandiser
The designers always have a choice to work under an existing brand of clothes/shoes/accessories etc or set up their own label. In case of Fashion communication, you have the role of fashion and media communication like marketing, public relations, journalism in the fashion industry
The job roles can be
- Fashion Journalist
- Fashion Assistant
- Fashion Marketing Manager
- Fashion Editor
- Fashion Photographer
And you can be hired in big brand stores like pantaloons, lifestyle, shoppers stop, marks and spencer, liberty etc.