Introduction to University
University can be referred to as an institution of higher education for studying a variety of subjects of interest. The word University derived from the Latin word “Universitas magistrorum et scholarium,” which means community of teachers and scholars.
The University provides you both undergraduate and postgraduate courses for further studies. In the early days, students from the different countries come to take admission in Universities of India. Since independence, India attained progress in the education field. In India, there are both public and private universities present.
The Universities of India offers various courses for higher studies and provides the best facilities for students.
List of Universities in India with Different Types:
There are six types of Universities in India. Almost all the Universities in India are recognized by the University Grant Commission (UGC), which provides some funds to the colleges and institutions.
The Central Universities are those who are governed by both the government and private organizations. The Central Universities in India come under the Union Human Resource Development Ministry. The Central University get its affiliation from UGC.
The Central Universities are Universities which have their institutions and colleges all over the country. There is the availability of every course in Central Universities.
The examination, as well as administration of Central Universities in India, is control by the University Grant Commission (UGC). There are 42 Central Universities in India at present.
The names of some Central Universities in India are as follows –
- Aligarh Muslim University (AMU)
- Delhi University (DU)
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University
- Indraprastha University (IPU)
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
- Manipur University
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
State Universities are those Universities that are present in a particular state of the country. The State Universities include several schools of different subjects.
The State Universities are the single entity that is supported by various institutions. Every college or institution which comes under State Universities will have their standard and quality of studies.
There are some of the State Universities names which are as follows –
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- University of Pune, Pune
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
- Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
Private Universities provide better amenities and facilities as compared to government universities. The quality of standard education of Private Universities is very different from government universities.
Private Universities in India are working very hard to provide the best education to the students. The professors of Private Universities teach students with world-class standards and discipline.
According to the facilities, Private University fees are much higher as compared to government universities.
There is the list of some of the Private Universities in India which is as follows –
- Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology, Gandhinagar
- O.P. Jindal Global University, Sonipat
- Lovely Professional University, Punjab
- Amity University, Noida
- Sharda University, Greater Noida
There is an organization in India known as the Indian Agricultural University association under which 53 Agricultural Universities associated. In India, some of the Agricultural Universities are deemed whereas some are Central.
The Agricultural Universities’ objective is to give knowledge about the different farming techniques and new technologies to the students. An excellent practical exposure will be given to the students regarding Agriculture work and research.
There is the list of some of the Agricultural Universities in India which is as follows: –
- Allahabad Agricultural Institute
- Central Agricultural University
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute
- National Dairy Research Institute
- University of Agricultural Sciences
National Institute of Importance
There is the list of name of some of the National Institute of Importance which is as follows: –
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Statistical Institute
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Punjab
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
The Open Universities in India are those Universities that allow the students for continuing their without attending regular classes. The Open Universities provides both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Open Universities also get their affiliation from the University Grant Commission (UGC). Open Universities provide the study material.
There are some of the names of Open Universities in India which is as follows: –