Medical colleges in Germany have a long and glorious academic history, as well as a commitment to improving teaching and research quality, which has made them rank among the top in the world. In Germany, a medical degree guarantees you a high level of employment and a high salary. According to Statista, Germany spends roughly 2.5 percent of its GDP on research and development in the fields of medicine and healthcare, despite having the world’s fourth-largest GDP. Moreover, A student working in medicine and healthcare earns an average monthly salary of roughly 16,500 EUR after completing medical studies at Medical colleges in Germany. However, For Every 15 months, the average wage in Germany’s Medicine & Health sector increases by 9%.
To know about top medical colleges in Germany, and the different postgraduate, undergraduate, and Doctoral courses available for international students at Medical colleges in Germany read the below article.
Medical University of Germany
As Germany is famous for Medical education among international students,there are various medical colleges in Germany that are providing the best medical education for students. The following are the top Medical Universities of Germany with courses they offer for students.
|University name||QS rankings||Courses offered|
|Heidelberg University||63||Medicine,MSc in International Health,Medical Biometry,Medical Education.|
|Technical University of Munich||50||Human Medicine.Radiation Biology,Biomedical NeuroScience,Medical Life Science and Technology.|
|University of Hamburg||214||Medicine,Molecular Biology,Dentistry|
|RWTH Aachen University||165||Dentistry,Logopedic COurse of study,Physical Therapy COurse of Study,Medicine Model COurse of study,MSc in Biomedical Engineering,|
|Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich( LUM)||64||Medicine|
|Tubingen University||177||Medicine,Medical Technology,Midwifery,Neurosciences,Molecular Medicine|
|University of Wurzburg||378||Medicine,Dentistry,Biomedicine.|
|University of Freiburg||172||Medicine,Dental Medicine,Molecular Medicine,Nursing Science,TEchnical Science,Palliative care,Periodontology and Implant Therapy.|
|Leipzig University||447||Human Medicine,Dentistry,Pharmacy,Midwifery( Masters of Science),Medical Computer Science( Masters of Science).|
|University of Humboldt||128||Health and human Sciences,Dentistry,Nursing Care,Public Health|
Medical Colleges in germany for Indian Students
Indian students who want to study Medicine related courses or even MBBS have a wide range of choices. Many universities from different countries are offering MBBS and medical-related courses for international students. Among them, Germany is one of the best countries which offer Medicine courses for Indian students free of cost. Most of the public Medical colleges in Germany offer different programs like UG, PG, and Ph.D. courses in Medicine free of cost for Indian and international students. The Medical Council of India( MCI) and NCM recognize and approve many Medical colleges in Germany. But, Indian students need to qualify for the NEET exam to join any Medical college in Germany.
Top Medical Colleges in Germany
Germany is one of the best countries to complete the MBBS or medical-related courses in any program like UG, PG, or doctorate. Because many medical colleges in Germany are providing these courses at no tuition fee or less tuition fee when compared with other countries. The following are some other Top Medical colleges in Germany for international students.
- Free University of Berlin
- University of Bonn
- Hannover Medical school
- RWTH InternationalAcademy
- University of Bremen
- KIEL University of Applied Sciences
- MacroMedia University of Applied Sciences
- University of Luebeck
- Technical University Dortmund
- University of Duisburg
MCI recognized Medical Colleges in Germany
The tuition fee is relatively modest in comparison to the quality of education supplied in Germany. It’s also one reason Indian medical students look forward to studying in Germany. And there are few MCI ( Medical Council of India) approved Medical Colleges in Germany with nominal fee structures. The following are a few MCI-approved Medical colleges in Germany.
- Heidelberg University
- Humboldt University
- Phillips University
- Hannover Medical School
- University of Bonn
- Bochum University
- University of Freiburg
- Magdeburg University
- Tubingen University
- Goethe University Frankfurt
Medical colleges in Germany: degree Courses
Medical Colleges In Germany have a wide range of degrees and specialties available in Medicine and its related fields. Students interested in pursuing a medical degree from medical colleges in Germany must make up their minds before choosing a course. Medical Colleges in Germany provide a variety of degree options, including:
Undergraduate Courses like Bachelors of Science, Bachelor of Art, etc courses in Medicine field.
- BSc in Health Informatics,
- BSc International Health Sciences,
- BA International Health Care Management,
- BSc Psychology
- BA Integrated health and Cognitive Psychology
- BSc Health Informatics
Postgraduate Courses like Masters of Science, Master of Arts, and MBA in Medicine field.
- MSc in Molecular Medicine,
- MBA Healthcare Management,
- MSc Masters in Food systems,
- MSc Health Economics
- MSc Biomedical Engineering
- MSc Nutrition and Biomedicine
Along with these, there are also Ph.D. programs for students.
Different Medicine Specializations available at Medical colleges in Germany :
- Dental Technology
- Medical Informatics
- Clinical Exercise and Therapy
- Molecular Medicine
- Structural Medicine
- Regenerative Biology and Medicine
- Cardiovascular Science
- Medical technology
Medical colleges in Germany: Undergraduate courses
The Medical Colleges in Germany not only provide MBBS for international students but also, different medical-related courses such as 3-4 years undergraduate degree courses with or without tuition fees. The following are some medical colleges in Germany with undergraduate courses and their tuition charges.
|Undergraduate courses||University name||Tuition fees|
|BSc in Medical Technology||Goethe University of Frankfurt||No Tuition fee|
|Bsc in Molecular Medicine||University of ULM||2.5 lakhs|
|Bachelors in Medicine||University of Munster||40.6 thousand|
|Bachelor of Dentistry||University of Berlin||No tuition fee|
|BSc in Midwifery||Leipzig University||No tuition fee|
|BSc pharmaceutical sciences||LMU,Munich||No tuition fee|
|BSc international Health Sciences||Fluda University||No tuition fee|
|BSc in NeuroScience||University of Cologne||No tuition fee|
Undergraduate courses in Medicine in Germany: Eligibility Criteria
The following are the eligibility criteria for Indian students to join Undergraduate courses in Medicine in Medical colleges in Germany.
- A high school degree with university required scores.
- And students should have a good command in Maths, Physics, Biology subjects.
- And, Test for Medical studies certificate.
- And also English proficiency test with a minimum score like IELTS: 6.5, TOEFL: 75-80, PTE:55-58
- And, German Language Proficiency cut off:
- TestDAF with TDN-16
- German Language Diploma: Second Level(DSD-II)
- Goethe Certificate: C2 Level.
Medical colleges in Germany: Post graduate courses
After completion of MBBS or medical-related undergraduate courses, students can have time to pursue a Masters’s degree in the same field or the related field. And many medical colleges in Germany are providing Medical related Postgraduate courses for students in various subjects. The following are the medical colleges in Germany with postgraduate programs along with tuition fees.
|University name||Post graduate program||Tuition fee( per year)in INR|
|University of Freiburg||MSc in Biomedical Sciences||7.24 lakhs|
|Technical University of Munich||MSc in Medical Neurosciences||23,355 Thousand|
|TEchnical University of Kaiserslautern||MSc in Biology-Neurobiology||No tuition fee|
|Hamburg University of AppliedSciences||MSc in Health Sciences||No tuition fee|
|Charite, Universitätsmedizin Berlin||Masters in Molecular Medicine||4.02 lakhs|
|University of Stuttgart||MSc in medical technology||2.5 lakhs|
|University of Tubingen||MSc in Medical Informatics||2.41 lakhs|
|Goethe University Frankfurt||MSc in Molecular Medicine||No tuition fee|
Postgraduate courses in Medicine in Germany : Eligibility criteria
The following are the eligibility criteria for joining Postgraduate courses in medical colleges in Germany.
- Academic certificates related to 10th, and 12th.
- Undergraduate degree certificate in medicine, healthcare, chemistry, nursing, pharmacy, etc with a minimum GPA of 2.62 or a minimum of 70% scores.
- And Also a German language certificate with a minimum of B1 level.
- English tests like IELTS: 6.5-7.0, TOEFL: 80-90 scores cards.
- And also students need to submit a GRE score with at least a minimum score of 310-350.
Medical Colleges in Germany : Doctorate Degree
It is an excellent opportunity for students in the medical field to do a Doctorate degree in the same field they did their post-graduate and undergraduate degrees. And even some of the medical colleges in Germany are offering Ph.D. courses for students in various subjects and too with no tuition fee. The following are some of the medical colleges in Germany with Doctorate courses with their tuition fees.
|Ph.D program||University name||Tuition fee( per year in INR)|
|Pharmacy and Molecular Biotechnology||Heidelberg University||2.41 lakhs|
|Neurosciences||University of Gottiengen||No tuition fee|
|Molecular Medicine||Hannover Medical School||No tuition fee|
|Infection Biology||Hannover medical school||No tuition fee|
|Systemic Neuroscience||LMU, Munich||19,992 thousand|
|Modern Molecular Virology||Heidelberg University||2.41 lakhs|
|Molecular Physiology of Brain||University of Gottiengen||Not tuition fee|
|Psychology||University of Mannheim||No tuition fee|
Postgraduate/ Doctorate courses in Germany: Eligibility Criteria
The following are the eligibility criteria for joining doctorate degree courses in Medical colleges in Germany:
- An Undergraduate and postgraduate degree in the same field with a minimum score required by the University.
- GRE/GMAT test scorecards.
- English tests like IELTS: 6.5-7.0, TOEFL: 80-90 scores cards.
- For Indian students, some postgraduate courses even required GATE exam scores.
- Along with these, German Language proficiency level test results as some of the courses thesis should be written in the German language.
- And also, a short description of the project proposal with CV and present research studies report.
Medical Colleges in Germany: Scholarships
As most medical colleges in Germany provide medicine courses free of cost and the cost of living in Germany is also less than compared to other countries, many international students seek scholarships for meeting their study expenses and other cost-of-living expenses in Germany. The following are some scholarships for international students available at medical colleges in Germany.
|Scholarship Name||University provided||Amount offered|
|University of hamburg Merit Scholarships for International students||University of Hamburg||850 Euros to 1000 Euros per month|
|Martin Luther University Halle – Wittenberg PhD research Grants||Martin Luther University||1,500 Euros per month|
|University of Duisburg – Essen International Scholarship||University of Duisburg – Essen||300 Euros per month|
|German University Foundation Medicus program||German University Foundation( DUS)||600 Euros for books and 1000 euros for using digital technology|
|Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships||All German higher education institutes||800 Euros per month|
|DAAD Scholarships||Free University of Berlin,Humboldt University,University of freiburgUniversity of Heidelberg||870 Euros|
|Mawista Scholarship||All Universities in Germany||3,486 Euros|
|Novus Biological Scholarships||All Universities in Germany||1,376 Euros|
|Konrad – Adenauer – Stiftung Scholarship program||All Universities in Germany||850 Euros|
Study Medicine in Germany: Different Stages
As the medical studies or MBBS in Germany is having 6 years of duration, it was divided into 4 different stages. And each stage is important for medical students to develop themselves and make them good doctors with deep knowledge and practical experience. The following are the stages in Medical colleges in Germany that students go through in total medical studies duration.
- Stage 1: MBBS Pre-Clinical Phase: This is a two-year stage with four semesters. This is the first stage, which covers the fundamentals of science and medicine. At the completion of this step, an applicant must pass the first medical licensing exam.
- Stage 2: MBBS Clinical Trials in Germany: This phase lasts three years and is divided into six semesters. This is the program’s main phase, and it consists of basic areas that are taught through a variety of practical methods. Lectures, practical classes, seminars, and live internships are examples of these methods.
- Stage 3: MBBS Practical Year in Germany: This stage consists of a year of clinical training that will teach you the practical aspects of the topics you have learned thus far. Internal medicine, surgery, and an elective subject are among them. This is a crucial phase since it allows the applicant to gain on-the-job experience that helps him prepare for the future.
- Stage 4: The MBBS State Examination in Germany: Passing the State Examination, which is a nationally standardized examination, is the final step in completing a medical degree in Germany. Only after passing this exam is it possible to apply for a license to practice medicine and start working as a certified doctor.
Ans: Yes, MBBS is free in Germany but only in Government or Public institutions. Because the Public Medical colleges in Germany offer MBBS for international students at free cost and students need to pay a nominal fee like a semester fee to the University.
Ans: The cost of an MBBS in Germany is totally determined by your nationality and whether you attend a public or private university. But, the Public Medical Colleges in Germany offer MBBS free o0f cost which only includes nominal semester administration charges. Tuition expenses for an academic year range from 1,500 EUR (1,23,600 INR approx.) to 3,500 EUR (2,88,300 INR approx.) for an Indian or non-EU student studying MBBS in Germany at both public and private universities.
Ans: yes, the NEET exam is required for Indian students to get admission for MBBS in Medical colleges in Germany. And the NEET score should be at least 60 %.
Ans: Yes you can study MBBS in Germany in English. There are several English-taught Medicine colleges in Germany for international students. There are almost 30 Universities that are offering MBBS in English along with German for international students at Medical colleges in Germany. Some of the famous universities are LMU University, Freiburg University, Hamburg University, etc.