SOURCE: Kevin Valani
International English Language Testing System is an English test for non-native English language speakers. It is a standardized test that checks the knowledge in the English language. Most colleges have different scores for different courses. Most colleges in Canada accept wide bands of IELTS scores. The scoring is done between 0-9.
IELTS is a widely accepted proof of English language proficiency in Canada. Almost all colleges accept it.
- It is used as proof of English language proficiency for Immigrant, Refugee and Citizenship Canada. For all this, the IELTS General test can be taken.
- Undergraduate or postgraduate students also have to show this proof. For academic purpose, the IELTS Academic test version is to be attempted.
- This is also required for a work visa.
- It tests English skills in reading, listening, writing and speaking.
Canada is one of the most popular destinations for studying, working or even permanently living. Many people choose Canada over most other International places and some even try to settle down there permanently. Why people choose Canada is worth a discussion.
- Affordable: Although not the cheapest, the cost of living in Canada is much more affordable for international students in comparison to other places. People looking for a permanent residence also prefer Canada for this reason.
- Safe: Canada is a very safe place for people from all over the world. A good population of Canada is made up of immigrants. The crime rate is low.
- Quality: It has some of the top-ranked institutes of the world. The quality of education provided is very good and thus preferred by many.
- Natural Resources: Canada has an abundance of natural resources. This means it a likely place to settle in.
- Economy: It has one of the largest economies in the world which means jobs are abundant and is thus great for graduated students.
- Healthcare: Healthcare provided is very high quality and affordable. Students can avail healthcare facilities with great ease.
University for IELTS 5.5 band
Many universities in Canada accept IELTS in 5.5 bands. It may vary from course to course.
- 5.5 in IELTS generally means getting 5.5 in each of the four sections.
- Most of the universities accept a score of minimum 6.0 with no less than 5.5 in each.
- English language proficiency can also be proven at some places by showing documents or certificates of previous institutions having English as the mode of instruction.
- Some universities allow students to take CanTEST if they don’t have sufficient score in IELTS.
- Students failing CanTEST have to study English as a second language at St. Clair College English.
Top Universities in Canada
Many colleges in Canada accept band 5.5 in IELTS. Some of them are mentioned below.
- KPU University: Kwantlen Polytechnic University is situated in British Columbia and has as many as 5 different campuses. Students get to choose from a diverse course mostly undergraduate and diploma. It is a public degree-granting university.
- Royal Roads University: It is a public university. It provides different programs such as Masters and Doctors. It is an online distance program and also has on-campus residencies.
- University of Alberta: It is one of the top university in Canada. It is a public research university situated in Edmonton, Alberta. The campus setting is urban.
- University of Winnipeg: It is a public university that offers undergraduate courses in arts, business, science etcetera many other streams. It also has many graduate courses.
- Brock University: Brock university is a public research university and only university in Canada to provide MICA program. The campus is in a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve and is situated in Ontario.
- St. Clair College of Applied Arts and Technology: It is also situated in Ontario. It was ranked as one of the best institutes to attend in Ontario. The college provides Bachelor of Applied Technology and many other courses including Bachelor in liberal arts.
- Lethbridge College: When it opened, it was the first publicly funded college in Canada. It provide BE and B.Tech courses of one year and other two-year diploma courses.
IELTS Canada Requirements
Many documents are required while applying to 5.5 band colleges.
- The proof of IELTS score is a must.
- Proof of sufficient funds for fees must be shown.
- A resume
- A statement of purpose
- Health insurance
- Passport and its copy
- All documents from previously attended institutes.
IELTS Canada Visa
IELTS scores are many times required while applying for a visa for Canada especially for educational or work purpose.
- Proof of English language is a must for IRCC.
- Proof of sufficient funds for the stay must be shown.
- Passport is a must.
- Appointment for Visa interview must be made.
- Fill the application form online and pay the fee.
- Pass the short interview.
Candidates can score full (1, 2 etcetera) or half (1.5, 2.5…). They can score between 0 to 9. The average is taken.
There are two types. One is IELTS Academic for studying another IELTS General for rest.
Some institutes accept other proofs or take other tests.
An overall score of 7 and each band 6.5 is accepted by most top colleges.
IELTS has 9 bands in total.