Source: RNM Training
IELTS or International English Language test series is one of the most standardized tests considered for admission to many universities abroad. This test is recognized by many institutions and plays an important role in the admission criteria of the students. If, you are planning to prepare for this globally recognized test and then you must work hard-work for it. Here are some points which you should consider while preparing for the exam.
IELTS exam preparation
- Understand the format of the exam.
- Practice sets of IELTS as much as you can.
- Work on your goals set by you.
- Prepare a strategy with well-defined planning of topics.
- Pay attention to all four sections.
- Watch youtube videos to understand and learn about the exam.
- Learn and practice new words every day.
- Check your answers and correct them.
- Take mock tests available on the internet and check your scores.
- Do smart work and save time in each section.
IELTS preparation online
There are a lot of online facilities that provide IELTS preparation for short courses to the students. The platforms are well-maintained by experts and have well developed mock test papers. You will have all the tips necessary for each section of the exam. The online platform also provides some free trial to the student through which they can decide whether to take the course or not.
- Enroll for this exam on some popular exam preparation applications.
- Then understand the format of the exam.
- There are 4 sections which you should practice.
- The four sections are listening, writing, speaking and reading.
- Go through all the preparation papers and check your answers.
- The tests are computer-delivered, hence relieving the fear of suspension.
- There are a lot of counselors at the application that will help you to improve.
- The tips are regularly implemented on the students.
- The notice section keeps the students updated about the latest news of the exam.
- The students will compete against a lot of other competitors that will help to score better.
IELTS Preparation Books
Preparing for IELTS will require the best material that gives clear concepts about English proficiency. Although there are many books available, but you should choose the right one. If you are a fresher and preparing it for the first time then you would need a book that starts from basics to take you to the advanced level. Here is a list of books that will help you prepare for the exam.
- The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
- Official IELTS Practice Materials
- Cambridge English IELTS 11 Academic with Answers
- Barron’s IELTS Superpack
- Road to IELTS
- Target Band 7: IELTS Academic Module: How to Maximize Your Score
- Cambridge IELTS Trainer
- Ideas for IELTS Essay Topics E-book
- Masterpiece of Essays
- IELTS GT Essays and Letters
Best IELTS preparation online free
There are many organizations that provide free and best IELTS preparation online to the students. It has been confirmed by many surveys that more than 33,000 students from all over the world are benefitted by the courses. The online courses are designed that provides the right training to the students. These are the best IELTS preparation online free courses:-
- IELTS Test Preparation Course (Magoosh)
- Free IELTS Online Course (British Council)
- IELTS Band 7+ Complete Prep Course (Udemy)
- Mastering IELTS Writing Task 1 (Udemy)
- Mastering IELTS Writing Task 2 (Achieve Band 7+) (Udemy)
- Top IELTS Courses (Udemy)
- IELTS Online Preparation Course (Kaplan)
- Understanding IELTS (British Council)
- Free IELTS Academic Test Preparation
- IELTS Buddy
IELTS Preparation Tips
Preparing for IELTS consists of many things and one of the most important keys is hardwork. You have to be determined for scoring well in the exam. Then you should look for a better study material which will support you in developing skills. The students should also maintain consistency in the preparation. Some of the key preparation tips are:-
- Understand the context of the exam
- Get the right material
- Read novels, newspapers, books, etc.
- Listen to audios and create your own opinion
- Develop writing skills by writing essays and letters
- Speak many texts and record it to listen to it again
- Correct your mistakes
- Embrace your stronger parts
- Take as many mock tests as possible
- Review all the tests and keep a check on your scores
British Council IELTS Preparation
The British Council provides numerous best and free resources to the students for the preparation of the exams. The council also helps the students through online lessons, books, workshops, and seminars. The British Council is dedicated to developing English skills among the students. The Council also keeps you updated about the latest news of the exam.
- The Council provides an intensive understanding of IELTS
- The study material by them are specially designed for the students
- The lessons will help you to increase your skills in reading, writing, etc.
- The council provides free practice tests to the students
- Computer-delivered test familiarize the students with the examination
- Various free courses are offered at the British Council
- Life skills from the council help the student a lot
- Free IELTS mobile apps help you learn on travel or a journey
- There are a lot of videos available by the council for the preparation
- Numerous free books and guides for the students
IDP IELTS preparation
IDP or International Development Program is an organization that is partnered with the University of Cambridge ESOL and the British Council for the IELTS. The corporation is build-up for providing quality training and knowledge about the exam. IDP India provides a wide range of study materials and tests for the preparation of the exam to the students.
- The program explains the format of the exam very clearly
- Understand the format thoroughly
- Practice through various practice sets provided by the program
- Free online lessons help the students a lot
- The program is comprised of highly developed mock tests
- The program is dedicated to improving the skills
- The test is evaluated daily by the IDP
- There is a regular check on your scores
- Correct your mistake with the help of IDP
- Voicemails and audios can help to improve listening skills
IELTS Preparation time
The preparation time is dependent on the student’s capability and it will be good if you start as early as possible. The students should be able to manage time while preparing for the IELTS exam. It is advisable for the student to take at least 6-8 weeks for preparing the exam. Here are some tips using which you can use and save time efficiently.
- Overlook the most grammar basics
- Take care of the format
- They should appear for the speaking test for a short period
- Create 250 words write up daily and save time
- Plan your writing and listening skills in a short span of time
- Correct your mistakes on the same day of the mock test
- Mock tests are a way to save time while preparing for the exam.
- Make the practice tests by using a stopwatch
- The stopwatch will give you the habit of making questions faster
- Keep a check on the time spent on the exam and improve it
IELTS Preparation at Home
The IELTS exam is one of the tests for which the students can prepare from home itself. Preparing from home requires a lot of effort and consistency. The perseverance keeps you going all the way up for the exam. The time management at home is really important and it helps you score well for the exam. Some of the factors you should keep in mind while preparing for the exam from home are:
- Build a strategic plan which works for you according to your time available.
- The plan should be lenient and you should start slow.
- Easily, pick up the pace and start taking online tests
- Online tests will help you examine yourself at home
- There is no need to study 24*7, you study for 2 hours but study well
- Research on your topics to be ahead from the rest
- Surrounding is very important, so fill your environment with English
- Practice tests will help you a lot
- Take the best study material available on the internet and study at home
- Take regular tests and check your scores regularly
IELTS Preparation Online Free for general
There are a lot of online free IELTS courses available for the students. The free courses provided access to each and every student. The online courses are designed by experts who keep all the skills in mind while creating it. The duration of the online courses varies according to the sections; there are also a lot of free IELTS preparation online courses that provide training to the students for free.
- First, understand the exam before choosing any online course
- Start preparing as soon as possible, although at least 3 weeks earlier.
- Go through each online lessons
- You will get many options in all the sections
- Attempt every question as to check where you can go wrong
- Mark your mistakes and correct it
- As the general test consists of all the sections, you will be able to master each skill.
- Flaunt your stronger part by practicing as much as you can.
- Then at the end of each lesson, you will get to appear for a test.
- Track your scores and practice to make it better each time.
IELTS Preparation course
Prepare for the IELTS exam like a scholar with a wide range of online and offline courses available in the market. There are a lot of institutes that cater to this service and provide education either online or offline. There are also a lot of free courses available for the students. The students should choose a course by evaluating their teaching skills in all the sections. The sections are:-
- Listening – This section comes under the IELTS general test. The duration of the test is around 30 minutes with 10 minutes to submit your answers. In this section, you will listen to one paragraph and then will answer the question.
- Speaking – This section spans for around 11-14 minutes. In this part, the examiner will ask you to introduce yourselves and then talk about a particular topic.
- Reading – The reading section is almost 60 minutes and you have to read three passages of the total word length of around 2,500. The examiner will check your pronunciation and accent.
- Writing – The writing section includes topics that you will be asked to write about. The article should be creative and should be in your own words. The student will get a total of 60 minutes for this part.
IELTS preparation time table
There is a lot of chaos with time management while you are studying for some course and also preparing for the exam. Any exam requires proper time management where the students should keep separate time to prepare for each section. Making a strategic time table for the exam would surely help you a lot in scoring good marks.
- The plan should be descriptive and should include each section of the exam.
- First of all, you will need at least 90 minutes daily to prepare for the exam.
- On Mondays and Tuesdays, you can keep 60 minutes to practice to read write tasks.
- On these days, you can keep 30-30 minutes for listening and reading practices.
- On Wednesdays, you can keep 60 minutes to practice writing articles.
- On Thursdays, you can follow the same plan for Monday and Tuesday.
- For Fridays, you should review new words for a break for around 60 minutes.
- On Saturdays, you can have a self-test of around 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- On Sundays, you should take a test and then at the end review your whole week’s performance.
- The end performance will let you know your progress and the time table will inspire you a lot.
IELTS preparation for Canada
Canada is of the hot destinations for the student when it comes to studying abroad. To study in top universities, you will need to score well in the IELTS exam. The scores will act as an admission parameter and will help you to get admission in your desired college. The student should prepare for the exam properly by proper time planning. IELTS requirements in Top 5 Universities are:-
- University of Toronto – 6.5 band score
- University of British Columbia – 6.5 band score
- McGill University – 6.5 band score
- Royal Roads University – 5.5 band score
- Canadore College of Applied Arts and Technology – 5.5
How to prepare for IELTS Canada
- Understand all the least IELTS band score od top universities
- Make a strategic plan
- Give time to practice each section of the exam
- Learn new words daily and practice sets
- Get access to but free best online courses
- The student should also read as much as they can daily
- Practice letters and articles to increase writing skills
- Attempt mock tests at the end of each week
- Keep a check on your mistakes and correct them
- Track the score and implement your new ideas of strategic plans.
IELTS preparation for beginners
For beginners, it is hard to start well. If you are a beginner then you should start as soon as possible. You should first understand the whole format and procedure of the exam. Then make up your goal on strategic plans and keeping your time availability in mind. Follow these steps to score well in the exam:
- Make a strategy
- Divide your time equally for all the four sections of the exam
- Get access to best study material
- Get youtube lessons to improve pronunciation
- Learn new words every day.
- Take mock tests regularly
- At Weekends, evaluate your whole week’s performance.
- If anything is wrong then check it and correct it.
- Practice sets every day.
- Keep a track of your scores.
How many days required for IELTS preparation?
Taking IELTS as a fresher, you will need like one month to prepare. All the top scorers had been recorded to be preparing for the exam before 1 month. But, you will be able to complete it in 15 days if you think you can. These 15 days are not enough but one can if he/she has given the exam before also. It is advisable to start preparing 1 month earlier of the exam.
IELTS Preparation in 10 days
For a student who has given the exam earlier, 10 days can be okay if he/she rigorously studies for that. For a beginner, it will be hectic and nearly next to impossible to prepare for the exam in such a short time. But if you decide and dedicate your time for the exam then you can score well even preparing for 10 days. Follow these steps:
- Make a strategic plan.
- Use all the free time you have got.
- Give time to practice for all the sections
- Learn new words daily and make sentences.
- Record your voice and listen to it to improve in speaking skills.
- The time table should be clear.
- Practice for each section each day.
- Practice for mock tests each day.
- Follow the rigorous routine strictly.
- Daily correct your mistakes and review your performances.
IELTS Preparation in 30 days
30 days for IELTS seems quite lenient but you should take it seriously and prepare for it strictly. For beginners, also it will possible to prepare for the exam and practice mock tests also. The students should be very much responsible for the exam. Follow these steps to prepare for the exam in 30 days.
- Make a detailed time table for the exam.
- Prepare strategic plans for each section of the exam.
- Evaluate your performance twice a week.
- Get the best study material.
- Practice mock tests on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Check your mistakes regularly and correct it.
- The student should get online classes to get full knowledge.
- Record your speeches and listen to it.
- Learn new words daily.
- Practice as much as you can, you have enough time to prepare for the exam.
IELTS Preparation Reading
The reading section of the exam is around 60 minutes long. The students are prompted to read some particular unseen passages. After the students had heard the part the students need to answer some questions asked by the experts on that topic. Around 40 questions are asked from this section which makes it quite important. Syllabus of the reading section:
- The section consists of three texts.
- The text will be of general interest.
- There are three unseen passages.
- Questions include MCQs, summary, and sentences.
- There are 40 questions that will be asked.
- The syllabus is totally general English.
- The student should often practice passages.
- The answering time is of 30 minutes, and then it will be submitted.
- There are also matchmaking and phrases listing.
- Keep up with the latest syllabus through official IELTS websites.
How to prepare for the reading section
- Practice passages and understand the concept deeply.
- Learn to make own opinions.
- While answering the questions, be clear.
- Practice through various sets also.
- There are many online resources where you can practice.
- Get the best study material for it.
- Answer the questions clearly.
- Practice through mock tests available online.
- The student should read newspapers daily.
- Reading books and magazines can obviously increase your reading skills.
Cambridge IELTS preparation
Cambridge provides free samples and test series to the students who wish to prepare for the exam. The organization also provides the best study material required for the IELTS exam. The website also provides the latest information about the exams. The students need to enroll in Cambridge to get better scores in the IELTS.
- Cambridge provides many facilities to the students.
- It has a checker where you check your performance.
- The progress check will help you to understand your flaws.
- Official study materials for the exam will also help a lot.
- Then, it also provides material for teachers.
- Keeps updated for news related to the exam.
- The regular mock test will help to correct mistakes.
- Understand the real and latest pattern of the exam.
- Cambridge offers expertise through professionals.
- Take a note on your daily performance.
IELTS preparation tips and tricks
To prepare for IELTS and score well you will need some plan to work on. While preparing for all the sections, you should learn tips and tricks as a lot. This will benefit you in many ways such as preparing well in a short time. The beginners also can prepare by using tips. The students need to work on their flaws and correct them while they have the time.
- Sleep and eat well on the day before the exam.
- Wear comfortable clothes, so that you don’t get sweaty.
- Arrive early at the center for the exam.
- Keep all the documents by yourself and produce them whenever asked.
- Listen to all the instructions for every section.
- In the Listening section, make sure that your headphone is fine.
- Focus on the speeches.
- Make your opinion after reading the text.
- For the writing section, you must practice a lot of articles.
- Practice through online classes and youtube.
IELTS Preparation strategy
One of the most important for an examination is the strategy. The strategy defines how much to come in how many times. The strategy should define all four sections. All the sections are important and the average will rise up only if you are so good well all the sections. Some of the ways which you can prepare a strategy are:-
- Understand all the concepts related to general IELTS.
- Make a strategy by dividing the day into the proper study.
- Polish your flaws and correct them.
- You can strategies by attempted mock tests
- All the sections are important and hence practice as much as you can.
- Make a time table for the exam.
- Keep 30 minutes to learn new words and pronunciation.
- Keep 60 minutes to attempt practice sets for the exam like daily.
- Prepare for the exam by making a strategy through many experts.
- Preparing a strategy will help you a lot.
IELTS without preparation
IELTS without preparation is difficult but it is possible through rigorous hardwork for 5 to 10 days. Getting such a small time, you will have to practice a lot. Get the best study material and take online classes. Without preparation, it will be moderate to those who had given the exam earlier but difficult to beginners. Some of the ways you can score without preparation are:-
- Make a rigorous strategic plan.
- Devote 5 hours on a daily basis for the exam.
- Take the best study material.
- Take online classes through Youtube.
- Stick to the plan.
- Take preparation sets daily and work on that.
- Correct your mistakes and improve.
- Get in touch with experts to learn many new things.
- Read the English newspaper.
- Practice hard and you will score well.
IELTS preparation and practice listening and speaking
The listening and speaking skills are some of the most important sections in the exam. The student needs to work a lot in these two sections. By practicing test papers, the student will be able to score well in the general IELTS. You have to get lessons on accent and pronunciation which are available on Youtube also. For the listening section, the student should increase their concentration power.
- Listen to audio clips daily and make your opinion.
- While listening to clips, try to make notes out of it.
- For speaking skills, you should record your voice.
- Listen to the recording and mark out your mistakes.
- The preparation for the exam should be rigorous as if you want to score well.
- The preparation should be defined in such a way to practice for each section.
- Get in touch with the experts.
- Experts will teach you to speak and listen properly.
- The student needs to be confident throughout the speaking section.
- After practicing much you are ready for the exam.
- How can I prepare for the IELTS exam?
Ans. You can prepare for the exam by getting in touch with experts or can prepare for the exam on your own.
- How can I prepare for IELTS at home?
Ans. From home, you can join any online classes and study for the exam. But you can also study on your own.
- How long does it take to prepare for IELTS?
Ans. Usually, it takes more than 1 month, to prepare for the examination but it can also happen in 15 or 10 days.
- How can I prepare for IELTS in 10 days?
Ans. In 10 days, it is quite difficult but you can if you follow these:-
- Practice very much, at least daily.
- Devote 5 hours for the exam.
- Learn new words.
- Attempt sets for practice daily.
- How can I get a 8.5 in IELTS?
Ans. You have to work very hard. Keep a check on the tiniest mistake and make improvements. Work equally on all the sections of the exam.
- Is it difficult to pass IELTS?
Ans. No, it is quite moderate to pass the IELTS.
- Can IELTS be prepared in a week?
Ans. Yes, it can but it is quite difficult. It depends on one’s caliber.
- Is 1 month enough for IELTS?
Ans. 1 month is enough for IELTS. This much time is good to prepare for all the sections of the exam.
- Is it easy to get IELTS 8?
Ans. It is quite hard to get 8 has it is the second-highest score in the band. To obtain, you must practice a lot and start the preparation as soon as possible.
- Can I get 9 bands in IELTS?
Ans. It is difficult to get a perfect score of 9 bands in the IELTS. But one can if he/she is willing to put hours of effort and hardwork.
Kindly do post if you have any feedback, comment or suggestions.
- IELTS- All you need to know
- IELTS Syllabus
- IELTS Registration
- IELTS Results and Scores
- IELTS Dates
- IELTS Test Centres
- IELTS Practice Papers
- IELTS Preparation Tips