Canada continues to be an attraction for further studies for students from all around the world. While getting admission in top universities of Canada requires academic excellence, to study there, you will need a Study Permit that is issued to students on arriving in Canada. However, there are a few requirements that need to be fulfilled to get a student visa in Canada-
- A study permit is a document issued by the immigration authorities of Canada that allows foreign students to study in Canada.
- A study permit only allows the student to enroll in Designated Learning Institutions.
- A letter of introduction, along with all the necessary documents are needed to be carried to Canada.
- You may also need to get a Temporary Resident Visa or an Electoral Travel Authorization (eTA), which allows access to the country as a student.
- You can apply for a student visa either offline on paper or submit an online application on the official Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.
Canada Student Visa Checklist
Below is a document checklist for Canada student visa that needs to be submitted along with the application. The documents should be submitted in a fixed order, and the processing of the application could be delayed if any of the documents are missing or incorrect.
- Application for study permit made
- Family information
- Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union
- Fee payment in an applicable format
- A valid passport
- Letter of acceptance from the university
- Any additional documents required by the responsible visa office
Canada Student Visa Checklist Under SPP
Student Partnership Program (SPP) is an arrangement between selected Canadian colleges and the Canadian High Commission in India that enables students an easy and quick study visa. It requires fewer documents, and a student needs to apply to an SPP college.
- Acceptance letter from the college
- Valid Passport and two passport size photographs
- Photocopy of IELTS test results
- Proof of funds
- Medical exam report
Canada Student Visa Checklist under General Category
Students who don’t qualify under the SDS program can apply under the general category, which also requires strong proof of financial background. The documents required are the same as documents under SPP.
- Acceptance letter
- Grade 10 and 12 marks sheet
- IELTS results
- Medical Exam Report
Canada Student Visa Requirement 2020
You can apply for a study visa permit after getting acceptance from the university. All applicants need to have a letter of acceptance from DSI in Canada. If enrolling in a September semester, you should begin with the Visa process around June.
Following documents are required for Canada Study Visa 2020:
- Valid Passport
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Learning Institution
- Proof of Funds
- Passport size photographs
- Immigration Medical Examination
- Statement of Purpose
Canada Student Visa Requirements after Post-Graduation 2020
Students, after completing their graduation also aspire to work there, taking up a good job depending upon their capabilities. For this, they require a Post-Graduation Work Permit that allows them to obtain Canadian work experience.
- The Post-Graduation work permit is offered for three years
- Also, several international students work during scheduled breaks, without a work permit.
- Getting a Permanent Resident (PR) visa after completion of education is also easy in Canada.
Canada Visa Requirements from India
A large number of Indian students aspire to study in Canada every year. With the number of Indian students applying to study in Canada has increased, Canada has made the Visa process for Indian students easy and fast.
- Indian students who have the required financial resources and language skills are eligible to opt for the recently introduced ‘Student Direct Stream’ (SDS) program.
- This cuts down the student visa process from 60 to 45 days.
- It is available to students opting for a college education at all designated learning institutions.
- For applying for a Canadian Visa for Indians, it is advisable to apply through a Visa Application in India.
Canada Student Visa Bank Statement Requirements
Proof of Funds or Financial Capacity is one of the basic requirements of the student visa application. This is required to give evidentiary proof that the students can pay for the fees as well as the normal living expenses during the stay in the country. A bank statement is one of the documents that is accepted as proof of funds.
- The statement should be in the name of the person specifically required. If parents/guardians are to support the education, the statement should be of the person’s savings account.
- It should be a scanned copy, duly stamped, and signed by the bank. It cannot be sent through an Email.
- The bank statement should be original, on the bank’s letterhead.
- Most universities specifically ask for six months’ bank statements.
- The tenure required should be specified.
Age Limit for Student visa in Canada
To study in Canada, you must be a minimum of 18 years of age. Even though there is no age limit, you need a study permit if you are a minor. Though the age limit varies with the province.
- You must be a Canadian or foreign youth of age between 18 to 35.
- Canada also accepts a study gap of 2-5 years for undergraduate and post-graduate courses.
- A study permit is not necessarily required if your course lasts six months or less.
Canada Student Visa IELTS Band Requirements 2020
To study in Canada, apart from gaining academic excellence, you also need to be efficient in the English language, for which you also need to submit the English Language Proficiency Exam (IELTS) Score along with other required documents.
- In Canada, the IELTS score is necessary as proof of English Language Proficiency.
- For undergraduate courses, a minimum score of 5.5 in every four sections with an aggregate score of 6 is required.
- For postgraduate courses, a minimum score of 6 in every four sections with an aggregate score of 6.5 is required.
- The minimum score requirement is overseen by the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB).
- The CLB score varies from 1 to 12, which corresponds to a particular IELTS score in Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing.
Canada New Rules For Student Visa 2020
The Canadian High Commission in India has announced the Student Partner Program (SPP) that has decided to bring changes new rules for Indian students in Canada. These changes are expected to affect the Canada Student Visa Requirements 2020 positively.
- The new rules are based on three points- proof of tuition fee payment, proof of fund or living expenses, and language ability.
- 1st Rule: students are needed to submit copies of fee payment receipt for one semester or year as requested by the institution under SPP.
- 2nd Rule: It states that the students are also to present proof of purchasing any Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC).
- The price of this certificate is $10,000, which is meant to cover the expenses for the initial year for the student in the country.
- 3rd Rule: It is about language ability, the average IELTS test score shouldn’t be less than 6.0. Also, the individual score should not be lower than 5.5. The test result presented should be taken within 24 months.
- Apart from these changes, all the other rules and requirements are the same as before. Numerous colleges in Canada have started implementing these changes.
- Also, several banks in India have started to initiate the changes mentioned regarding education loans.
Canada Student Visa Fee
The fee for applying for a student visa in Canada can go around INR 8,620. Apart from this, the student also needs to pay the minimum amount of $10,000 or Rs.7,08,000 to be able to study in Canada along with the tuition fees for one year.
Canada Student Visa Fees in Indian Rupees
Student Permit for Canada costs about $CAN 150, which is Rs. 8,100 in Indian currency as per the current exchange rate. The fees can be paid both online and offline by credit card or demand draft, respectively. These fees must be paid when the application is submitted.
Canada Student Visa Tracking
After applying for a student visa, it is easy to track and know about the status of the application. This allows the student to remain updated and plan their further actions accordingly. Tracking can be done for both online and offline applications.
- If applied online, check your application by signing into the account on the official website.
- If applied offline, the application can either be checked by using the online tool or creating an online account and linking the application with it.
- In the case of offline application, the status will only be shown when the processing of the application starts.
- When the application process starts, an acknowledgment of receipt letter or email with an application number is sent.
Canada Student Visa without IELTS
IELTS score is a necessary score when aspiring to study in Canada. It is proof of English Language Proficiency. A student needs to take an IELTS test and attach the acceptable score along with the other documents.
However, in case you don’t have an IETLS score, you can still apply for a study visa in the following ways-
- Other English Proficiency tests such as TOEFL
- The student must have studied in an English-medium school for four years.
- The country a student belongs to is English speaking.
- A student can also attend the university’s language school for a semester or a year.
- The online learning program is also a good way to improve English proficiency.
- Some universities accept a letter of recommendation from previous professors regarding a student’s English proficiency.
- Some universities also exempt the requirement of English Proficiency for selected nationalities.
- All universities accept other forms of English proficiency.
Also Read: Canada without IELTS
Minimum Percentage For Canada Student Visa
Achieving academic excellence and scoring great marks is even though desirable for universities and attracts more chances of getting selected, a student with a low percentage can also apply and fulfill their aspirations.
- The minimum percentage required is 60%.
- Some colleges also accept 50%-55%, but the acceptance rate is quite low.
- A low percentage of marks can be made up for by earning a better score in IELTS.
- The eligibility criteria differ in various universities.
- Writing a very strong Statement of Purpose can also look great on the application.
Canada Study Visa Time
Since applying for a visa is a legal process, it may take some time to process the application. It depends on the type of application submitted, duration of the stay, and where the application is being processed.
A student visa needs at least three days for processing. There is no interview process to get a Canadian student visa, which may reduce the processing time. Usually, it takes 30-45 days to get the student visa. It also varies from one country to another.
How to Apply for Canada Student Visa?
To apply for a student visa, the candidate must have full information about the procedure and the processing time.
An application for a student visa can be applied either online or offline.
- When applying online, you need to have access to a scanner or a camera for uploading electronic copies of your documents.
- You must also have a valid credit card, as a debit card is not accepted.
- You will still need to provide a finger scan at the regional Visa Application Centre (VAC).
- In the case of the online application, you will need to visit the VFS offices to submit your passport and confirmation of forms as well as fee payment.
- To apply in person, download the application kit and read the instructions carefully, which guide you to fill the application form.
- You can use the document checklist given with the application kit to make sure your documents are correct.
- You also have to fill out the VFS consent form and attach it with your application.
- This form may be needed to get the assistance of VFS services in filling your application form.
- You will have to visit the VFS office to pay the charges and submit the documents.
Canada Student Visa Application Process
The candidate should start the application process at least three months before the intended visit to Canada.
For this, the candidate must follow the application process carefully to avoid any delay or mistakes.
Here is a step-by-step procedure for student visa application-
- Apply for a university/college.
- Pay tuition fees.
- Purchase of Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC).
- Undertake a medical exam.
- Apply by opening a MyCIC account.
- Upload the required documents and other requirements.
- Submit your visa application.
- Track your application through your account.
- Visa application interview with the officials.
Canada Student Visa Rejection
Applying for a visa is a long process that needs to be done with extreme consciousness and carefully. Any mistake in the process can lead to the application being delayed or rejected. To make sure that doesn’t happen, keep in mind the following points-
- Make sure you have all the required documents.
- The letter of acceptance must be genuine.
- The college a student has applied to must be listed under the designated learning institutions list.
- A student should have good academic scores.
- The Statement of the Bank must be duly stamped and signed by the bank.
- The travel identity documents must be accurate.
- Make sure your statement of purpose is acceptable.
Canada Student Visa Rejection Reasons
As Canada remains to be the preferred destination for higher studies, getting a visa can be a rigorous and difficult process. As several students apply for a visa, it can be quite difficult to obtain one. The following can be the reasons for rejection of the visa application-
- Authorities may find that a student is not financially stable enough to support his education.
- If the candidate doesn’t meet all the requirements of the course applied.
- Inadequate travel history.
- If the candidate is a potential immigrant.
- If the study program you chose does not match the educational background.
- Documents are inadequate or incorrect.
- Improperly filled out forms.
What to do if Canada Student Visa gets Rejected?
In case your visa is rejected due to any of the reasons given above, you can re-apply with the proper documents. Having the right and accurate information is important to make sure the application isn’t rejected again.
- Initially, you can request the immigration officer to reconsider and re-evaluate the original decision.
- Next, if the refusal seems to be on no grounds, a student can appeal with the Immigration Adjudication Division or Federal Court of Canada.
- This can be done within 30 days of the first application, preferably with the help of a lawyer. You can reapply for a visa immediately after the first one gets rejected.
- Since the rejected application goes into your record, make sure to rectify the mistake made earlier. Have enough evidentiary proof to support the documents.
- If it was rejected due to language inefficiency, you could also work on the same.
- You can also seek the help of an immigration lawyer or online service provider to get proper advice and assistance.
Canada Student Visa SOP
Universities in Canada have been considered a great choice for higher education, due to which there is extreme competition. Although admission to any Canadian university is based on academic performance.
Some universities may also require you to write a Statement of Purpose for admission purposes. It is the most important part of your documents and should be written carefully and attentively.
Here are some Dos and Don’ts of writing an SOP-
What to Write?
- Having an interesting start to your essay helps maintain the attention of the person reading it. Make it clear and catchy.
- Write about why you chose Canada over any other country. Also, mention a valid reason for choosing the particular university you are interested in.
- Write a bit about yourself, mention how your school and the extracurricular activities have enhanced your overall personality.
- Write about any past work experiences and contributions.
- Mention your views or outlook regarding a certain issue that you may feel is important. You should also mention your short term and long term goals, and how you aspire to achieve them.
What not to write?
- Do not be overconfident about yourself in writing your SOP. Make it subtle and write about the achievements that made you do better.
- The essay shouldn’t be too short or too long.
- While writing the essay, language should be given top priority. Use simple but effective language that is easy to understand and comprehend.
- Do not write about anything that has no relevance to your course or interests.
- Make your SOP unique. Do not copy and paste.
Canada Student Visa Eligibility
Canada is facing immense competition when it comes to higher studies and getting a student permit.
You can only apply or a student visa if you fulfill the following criteria-
- A Designated Learning Institute has accepted you.
- You must be able to prove that you have enough funds to support your
- Tuition Fees
- Living Expenses
- Traveling Fees
- The aspirant needs to prove that they have a clean background and no criminal record. For this, the student must provide a police certificate.
- Get a medical exam done and prove that you are in good health.
- In the interview, prove to the officer that you will leave Canada once your student permit expires.
Canada Student Visa Interview
Typically, there are no interviews for getting a student permit. However, an interview may be carried out if decided by the visa officer.
A visa interview is the final stage of the application process carried out by a consulate officer who asks questions and verifies documents provided by the candidate.
Following are a few common questions asked during an interview-
Q1. Have you been to Canada before?
Ans. Reply politely with a yes or no. If it is yes, mention short details about your previous travel.
Q2. Why did you choose Canada or that particular college/university?
Ans. Talk about your plans in Canada and why you prefer it over any other country. You can mention about its great facilities and opportunities. For the choice of university, you can mention about the courses, facilities, faculty, and the advantages of joining that particular university, based on your research.
Q3. Which program will you be joining, and why?
Ans. Make sure to have proper and accurate information about the course you wish to take up. Mention about the importance and benefits of the particular course, and what made you interested in that course.
Q4. Who is going to cover your expenses in Canada?
Ans. State the details of the funding, whether covered by your parents or a bank through a student loan. This will also verify the details provided in the visa application.
Q5. Where will you be staying in Canada?
Ans. You can mention the details of your living arrangements, whether it is temporary or permanent or on campus. If you plan on staying off-campus, provide the address and other details.
Canada Student Visa Medical Exam
If you want to study and stay in Canada for more than six months, you need a student visa for which you have to undergo a medical examination. This is done to make sure that the aspirant has no fatal or infectious diseases, to protect public health.
The medical exam needs to be done either before applying or within 30 days of receiving the instructions.
- The medical exam will be done by a designated medical practitioner (DMS).
- You need to carry proper identification, your eyeglasses (If you wear them), any medical report or test results of any previous condition and, passport size photographs at the time of the examination.
- The expenses for the medical test are to be borne by the candidate.
- You will have to undergo the following tests, physical examination, blood test, urinalysis, chest x-ray, and any other test prescribed by the officials.
- The doctor will also fill out a medical questionnaire with you regarding any past or existing medical conditions.
- The doctor submits all the test results and documents to the Canada Immigration Department.
- The doctor also forwards you the medical report form that you need to attach to your application before submitting it to the Canada visa office.
- These medical exam results are valid only for 12 months, after which you may need to do another exam if you don’t visit Canada as a student.
- Medical reports and X-rays are not returned to the candidate and are kept permanently by the immigration authority.
Canada Student Visa Validity Period
The student visa is a document limited by time. After the expiry of the visa, you can either return to your country or apply for a work permit post-graduation. The validity of the visa depends upon the course you are going to study.
- The student visa is valid throughout the course you are studying.
- It remains valid for an additional period of 90 days during which the student can prepare to leave or extend their legal stay.
- Foreign students from DLI in Canada can apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit program.
- Students with Canadian work experience also have the option of applying for permanent residence.
- If you wish to extend your study permit for valid reasons, you have to do it before the expiry date of your passport, beyond which you wouldn’t be allowed to stay in Canada.
Canada Student Visa Application Deadline
Submission of the Visa application is supported by a deadline, after which your application becomes invalid. The time taken to process the visa application may vary among visa offices. Due to this, you should start the application process early.
- You must apply as soon as you get an acceptance letter by the university to avoid any delay.
- You can apply upto three months before your intended date of travel to Canada.
- Your application date is the date you pay the fees.
- The processing time for a Visa is usually 90 days or less. For Indian students, this time has been reduced to 45-50 days to attract more students.
Canada Student Visa Regulations
Citizenship and Immigration Canada has laid down a few rules and regulations to ensure study permits go to capable and interested students and maintain the integrity of the study program.
- Students are required to submit their documents before the deadline in a prescribed form.
- Any mistakes will lead to rejection of the visa application.
- Students cannot stay in Canada after the expiration of their study permit.
- Study permits also apply to only authorized schools allowed to admit international students.
- Students are allowed to work part-time during the semester and full time during breaks on a study permit.
- Students are allowed to work after completing their graduation and getting a work permit.
- Co-op work permits are not available to international students.
- Registered Indians holding nationality outside of Canada can study in the country without a study permit.
- Students must perform a medical exam and be truthful about any previous illness.
- The medical examining doctor must submit the medical reports to the Canada Visa office,
- The student must go through the application procedure and regulations of the particular university they are intended to study in.
Ans- A student permit is a legal document issued by the Canadian Immigration authorities that permits a foreign student to study in Canada. A student cannot study in Canada without a valid permit. Also, they can only study in a Designated Learning Institute (DLI).
Ans- A Designated Learning Institution is an educational institution that is permitted by the authorities to grant acceptance to foreign students. All primary and secondary institutions are DLIs as they are allowed to admit international students.
Ans- A student needs to submit a letter of introduction and various important documents (mentioned above). They may also need to apply for a temporary residence visa along with a student visa.
Ans- The cost of education depends upon the university and the course you have applied to.
Ans- You don’t need to apply for a student permit if your course or study program is of less than six months. However, a permit is required if the course is longer if the student needs to stay longer than six months to complete the course.
Ans- Yes, a student can work for 20 hours a week, a part-time job, during the semester, or full time during the breaks. The right to work ceases when the study permit expires.
Ans- Canadian universities require their students to have proficiency in the English language. For this, it is advisable to take an IELTS test. However, the IELTS score is an admission requirement, and not a study permit requirement.
Ans- If the visa application is refused, a candidate may request reconsideration or reapply.
Ans- The student permit is valid until the duration of your program. It remains valid for an additional period of 90 days to enable the students to either go home or extend their legal stay.
Ans- A candidate may be required to undergo a medical examination as per the decision of the visa officer.
- Canada Student Visa
- Canada Student Visa Requirements
- Canada Student Visa Process
- Canada Student Visa Eligibility & Rules
- Canada Student Visa Interview