Singapore is considered as one of the most attractive and magnetic tourist destinations in the world. The extravagant living standard and vibrant infrastructure of Singapore have pulled several people towards it in the past few decades, not only for tourism but also for higher education. Studying in a highly structured university or college in Singapore is a dream of many students. Considering the lively and vigorous lifestyle of Singapore, students who want to study abroad always have Singapore in its list.
Singapore’s education system is highly reputed in the world. The number of students from every corner of the world tries to become a part of this education system and use it for their career enhancement. Pragmatic research inclined approach of institutions prepares the students to deal with the real-life situation during their study period. Association of these universities with organizations in the industry provides an easy space for students to find employment opportunities in more than 7000 thousand multinational companies.
Top reputed institutions in Singapore have MoU with foreign universities to serve students with opportunities to learn from international teachers. Singapore is an ideal country for international students who are looking for the high-end education system to learn with a practical approach and, at the same time, ready to experience diverse, all-inclusive, and rapidly changing standard and style of living. Singapore has always considered its education system as its top priority, along with tourism, and focuses on maintaining a high standard of education.
- Singapore is one of the top countries for higher education and the USA, the UK, and Australia.
- Singapore has a total of 34 universities. Six of them are national universities.
- In QS World University Ranking in 2019, two universities were among the top 100 universities and one among the top 500 universities
- National University of Singapore (NUS) was ranked 11th.
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU) was ranked 12th, and Singapore Management University was ranked 500th.
Why Study in Singapore?
With the world-class-infrastructure and high quality of education, Singapore has emerged as one of the top choices of students to pursue their higher degree from the country. Every year approximately 50,000 students choose the Singapore education system as their career shaper. University in Singapore focuses more on practical learning rather than sticking only to the theoretical approach. This research focus learning approach prepares the students to deal with real-life situations and develop a professional’s thought process.
- Singapore has the state-of-art infrastructure and the vibrant and rapidly changing lifestyle, making the students flexible to the change.
- Two universities of Singapore, NUS, and NTU have been ranked among the top 15 universities in 2019.
- Admission into these universities is not very hectic as they do not demand any language proficiency test or personal interview.
- Links of the universities with industries expose the students to the real market and give them the real view of the industry.
- More than 7000 multinational organizations in Singapore provides an ample amount of employment opportunities as well.
How to Study in Singapore?
Singapore has become an elite hub of education for elite people around the world. The cost of living in the country is considered as one of the costliest in the Asian continent. The education system is considered as the second most expensive in the world. Despite all this, the high-quality education of Singapore attracts more students every year. Hassle-free admission process and comfort of the English language are among the few reasons to study in Singapore. The How-to process to study in Singapore is mentioned below.
- Choose the program, course, and institute to study.
- Reassess the application of the program and its visa-related requirements.
- Fill the application with care and submit it before the deadline.
- Wait until an invitation offer is delivered via email or any other medium.
- Apply for a student visa and join the program in Singapore.
Study in Singapore Requirements
Studying in Singapore is an expensive process. From tuition fees to the cost of living, everything is out of budget in Singapore. But apart from the budget, Singaporean universities have set some other requirements that must be fulfilled while applying for admission. The admission requirement of each university and course may vary from each other. Some basic requirements are listed below.
- Attested copies of marks sheets of 10th, 12th, or graduation. Candidate must have secured at least 70% marks throughout the academic term. Some universities require at least 90% marks throughout the academic term.
- Letter of recommendation (LOR) or Statement of Purpose (SOP) for candidates with work experience.
- Valid scores of IELTS/TOEFL as some institutes require students to have good English language proficiency.
- Valid score of GMAT for students who want to take admission in the MBA program.
- Students must have reached the age of 18 before joining the program.
Study in Singapore University
Singapore has a world-class education system, and that is why it is considered by several students every year. There are a total of 34 universities in Singapore, of the 6 are national universities. These six national universities attract a large number of students every year. Out of the six national universities, two were ranked under the top 100 hundred universities in the world, and one was ranked under the top 500 universities in the world.
Popular national universities in Singapore include National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore Management University (SMU), Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), and Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS). INSEAD, SP Jain School of Global Management, and James Cook University are some popular foreign universities on their campuses in Singapore.
Study in Singapore After 12th
Several students fall into the pool of confusion about their higher studies. Questions like what to study and where to study are the most common among many others. Singapore is an ideal place for students who are looking for international universities after completing their 12th. For Indian students who want to study abroad after 12th, Singapore is the best place to pursue a graduate degree. The practical approach towards education is the unique selling point for those who wish to study in Singapore after 12th.
Duration, of course, to study in Singapore after 12th is generally 3 or 4 years. Duration is completely dependent on the course that students want to pursue. Some of the popular courses to study in Singapore after 12th include Engineering, Computer Science, Media Studies, Agriculture, Business Management, and Design. These students are required to secure at least 75% – 85% in school to study in Singapore.
Study in Singapore Cost
Although the education system of Singapore is indeed one of the best in the world, studying in Singapore is inevitably an expensive dream. The tuition fees for courses and colleges vary greatly. The cost of living in Singapore is comparatively high than most Asian countries like Russia or China.
Still, in terms of education, Singapore is considered the second most expensive education system. The average fees of Singaporean college are SGD 26,000, which roughly amounts to INR 14,00,000.
- A report of the HSBC claims that Singapore has the second most expensive cost of living for international students, roughly around SGD 28,000 per year.
- Food, transportation, books and stationery, and personal expenses can cost at least SGD 1000 per month for international students.
- The average cost of diplomas of duration 1-2 years ranges between SGD 8000 – SGD 15,000.
- The average cost of bachelor degrees of duration 3-4 years ranges between SGD 24,000 – SGD 40,000.
- The average cost of master’s degrees of duration 1.5 -2 years ranges between SGD 15,000 – SGD 30,000.
Study in Singapore for Indian Students
Singaporean colleges invite thousand of international students every year. Count of Indian students among them is always high. Every year several Indian students wish to pursue their degree from Singapore because of its high-quality education, strong student support system, and elite class facilities.
The top universities of the country have a significant number of Indian students in their portfolio. Indian students can choose from several courses like Engineering, Computer Science, Business Management, etc.
- Top Singaporean universities have 30% of seats fixed for international students.
- Every year, approximately 3000 Indian students join Singaporean institutions for higher studies.
- Statistically, the number of Indian students in Singapore is rising every year by 20%.
- Indian students must have a visa or education pass if they receive an invitation notice from any institution.
Study in Singapore For Indian Students with Scholarship
Education is the basic right of every person. But higher education has become budget-hostile for many people. Singapore is the hub of high-quality higher education, is a dream place for many Indian students to pursue their degrees, but the expensive fee structure and costly lifestyle bar students from pursuing their dream.
To help such meritorious students for completing their UG or PG degree, several scholarships are available.
Few such scholarships for Indian students are listed below.
- Science & Technology Undergraduate Scholarship offered by the National University of Singapore is open for Asian students, including Indian students. The scholarship is offered to students applying for a full-time undergraduate program in engineering, computing, and science (pharmacy excluded) on campus. The scholarship covers not only the entire tuition fees but also the international travel fare.
- Goh Keng Swee Scholarship is offered to eminent students from 15 countries, including India. The scholarship is offered for the undergraduate program in Singapore’s most reputed institutions like the National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore Management University (SMU), and Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). Except for medicine, all the courses are covered under this scholarship. The scholarship waives off the entire tuition fees, airfares, hostel and food charges, etc.
- Singapore International Graduate Award is available for the students in research work. Apart from NUS, NTU, and SUTD, the Agency for Science, Technology & Research (A*STAR) is also a part of this scholarship. This scholarship covers the complete four years tuition fees of the Ph.D. program and offers a monthly stipend of SGD 2500 per month to scholars.
- The INSEAD Singapore campus offers INSEAD Syngenta Endowed Scholarship for Emerging Country Leadership. Two scholarships are offered to noteworthy MBA students on campus who have shown academic achievement, and managerial qualities. This scholarship involves monetary benefits of up to SGD 22,500
Study in Singapore After Graduation
Singapore is a popular fact on the bucket list of every person as a holiday destination. Still, for some people, it is also a place to learn and grow with the country’s high-quality higher education system. Singapore’s two biggest universities have been ranked 11th and 12th by QS World University Ranking 2019.
After graduation, students can choose from various courses available for students in the master’s program list. MA, MSc, LLM, and MBA programs are available in a different domain in multiple institutes of Singapore, including the popular ones like the National University of Singapore and Singapore Management University.
- Postgraduate programs in Singapore are popular as “graduate study” only.
- All the major institutions like NUS, NTU, SMU, and SUTD offer a postgraduate program in a different specialization.
- Fee for a postgraduate program in Singapore ranges from SGD 15,000 to SGD 30,000.
- The duration of the program depends upon the university and the course as well.
Study in Singapore Without IELTS
Whenever it comes to studying abroad, students always think of IELTS. Fortunately, students can study in Singapore without IELTS in select institutions. Several universities in Singapore permit students to pursue their studies in Singapore without IELTS.
English proficiency test is not mandatory for students to admit themselves into the reputed universities of the country. All the major courses like engineering, law, management, agriculture, design, accounting, etc., can be pursued in Singapore without IELTS.
- Students are allowed to study in Singapore without IELTS. However, some of them may ask for a valid IELTS score.
- Top universities like National University of Singapore, Singapore Management University, and Nanyang Technological University grant admission without IELTS.
- Admission into the universities mentioned above without IELTS is available for all the courses.
- Students can also pursue a Ph.D. and continue their studies in Singapore without IELTS.
Ans. The average fees of Singaporean college are SGD 26,000 which roughly amounts to INR 14,00,000. The course in Singapore ranges from INR 12 lakh to INR 30 lakh.
A report of the HSBC claims that Singapore has the second most expensive cost of living for international students, roughly around SGD 28,000 per year. Food, transportation, books and stationery, and personal expenses can cost at least SGD 1000 per month for international students.
Ans. Singapore’s education system is of very high quality, and several students from every corner of the world use it for their career enhancement. The practical and research focus approach and teaching style make the students understand the concept and crux of the topic thoroughly.
Singapore has some renowned institutions like the National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, and Singapore Management University.
Ans. Yes, it is a non-debatable fact that studying in Singapore is very expensive. According to an HSBC report, Singapore has been ranked second only after Australia in the ranking of the most expensive education hub.
Tuition fees in Singapore range from INR 12 lakh to INR 30 lakh. Singapore is a lavish country with an elite lifestyle and standard of living, making it the most expensive country to live in the Asia region.
Ans. Extremely expensive tuition fees and out of the budget cost of living leaves several people in Singapore to work and study at the same time.
As per the guidelines of the Ministry of Manpower, Singapore, international students can work on a part-time basis for only 16 hours per week during their academic term and full-time on holidays, provided that they must have a Student Pass in Singapore that is issued while applying for the visa.