Do you think despite getting decent marks in NEET, you won’t be getting a good college of your choice? Do you think the cost of medical education is unreasonable? If all these questions are bugging you, then you should consider MBBS in Ukraine. The beautiful country in Eastern Europe provides you great opportunities if you want to have a successful career as a doctor. With its quality and affordable medical education program, generous government support, top-notch faculty, state-of-the-art labs, and good infrastructure, Ukraine is a promising destination to pursue MBBS.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS in Ukraine
Taking admission to a Ukrainian university for MBBS is relatively less cumbersome. There is no entrance examination for MBBS in Ukraine. The threshold for eligibility for MBBS in Ukraine is low as compared to India. Following are the prerequisites for seeking admission for MBBS in Ukraine:
- Minimum age of 17 years and maximum age of 25 years.
- NEET scorecard or an Eligibility Certificate by Medical Council of India (MCI) in case of non-qualification or non-appearance in NEET.
- A minimum of 50% in 10+2 with physics, chemistry, and biology as main subjects from any recognized education board.
Top Universities for MBBS in Ukraine
Ukraine is considered among the top five destinations in Europe to pursue medicine. Universities in Ukraine provide affordable, qualitative, and best-in-class medical education among their peers. The graduate degree for medicine (MBBS equivalent) in Ukraine is known as Doctor of Medicine (MD).
The duration of MBBS in Ukraine is six years including one year of internship. The courses offered for MBBS in Ukraine are recognized all around the world including by MCI, WHO, USMLE, PLAB (UK), FAIMER, etc. The language of pedagogy is English which makes it convenient to pursue MBBS in Ukraine.
Some of the top Universities for MBBS in Ukraine are
- Bukovinian State Medical University: It is a state-funded university and is the most sought after by Indian students. It is a particularly Indian-friendly university with the Indian Students Society which looks after the welfare of Indian students. There is a separate hall of residence for girls. The campus is very diverse and boasts of a vibrant alumni association. The tuition fee is approximately ₹16.5 lakhs. It also offers generous scholarships based upon merit and extra-curricular achievements.
- Vinnytsia National Medical University: It is a government-funded university which has state-of-the-art infrastructure and excellent scholastic facilities. It is located near the capital Kyiv so the accessibility is good. The tuition fee is approximately ₹21 lakhs.
- Lviv National Medical University: It was established in 1784. It is one of the most prestigious universities in Ukraine. The MBBS courses in this university are in very high demand by Indian students. Lviv is also considered to be the most beautiful city in Ukraine. The tuition fee is approximately ₹20.6 lakhs.
- VN Karazin Kharkiv National University: It was established in 1804 and is under the top 500 QS Global World Ranking. The density of Indian students is the highest among all the universities in Ukraine. The tuition fee is approximately ₹19 lakhs.
- Ternopil National Medical University: It was founded in 1957 and was granted the status of national-level university in 2019 due to its contribution to the field of medicine. It has one of the best faculties in Ukraine. The tuition fee is approximately ₹18 lakhs.
Admission Procedure for MBBS in Ukraine
You have to apply separately to the university of your choice. The primary eligibility is 10+2 with 50% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
You need to follow the admission procedure for MBBS in Ukraine as given below:
- Fill out the university application form along with requisite documents and application fees. Also, make sure that you have qualified NEET or taken an Eligibility Certificate from MCI before applying.
- You will receive an admission letter and an invitation letter in ten days which will have the details regarding the academic year and fee structure.
- You need to start with your visa application process upon receiving the admission and invitation letters. The process takes around two-three weeks.
- The university will begin the induction process as soon as you reach Ukraine and will conduct a formal screening test upon which you will be allotted the hall of residences and the courses of your choice.
The following documents are required while applying for MBBS in Ukraine:
- Academic certificates certifying that you have passed class 10 and 12.
- Mark-sheets of High School and Senior Secondary School from the recognized education board of India. They should be duly apostilled by the Ministry of External Affairs.
- NEET scorecard.
- Birth certificate.
- Medical certificate.
- Medical insurance.
- Eight passport size photographs.
- Latest Covid-19 test certificate.
Fee Structure for MBBS in Ukraine
Pursuing MBBS from Ukraine is quite affordable. Universities in Ukraine are generously funded by the State and offer good facilities at a nominal price. The fee structure for MBBS in Ukraine varies according to the location of the university or college, and choice of course.
The fee structure for MBBS in Ukraine is given as follows:
|Name of the University||Tuition Fee/Year||Hostel Fees/Year||Annual Fees|
|Bukovinian State Medical University||₹2,82,000||₹40,000||₹3,22,000|
|Vinnytsia National Medical University||₹3,50,000||₹70,000||₹4,20,000|
|Lviv National Medical University||₹4,20,000||₹40,000||₹4,60,000|
|VN Karazin Kharkiv National University||₹3,85,000||₹71,383||₹4,56,851|
|Ternopil National Medical University||₹3,08,000||₹40,000||₹3,48,000|
Future Prospects after MBBS in Ukraine
MBBS from Ukraine is globally recognized. Students after pursuing MBBS from Ukraine may appear for their FMGE (or recently proposed NEXT) to get a license for practicing in India. Universities in Ukraine especially provide coaching to the graduates for their FMGE tests under the guidance of Indian doctors there. Under the Bologna Process, the degree from Ukraine is valid all across Europe.
Thus, a student can also apply for a license in any European country for practice. MBBS degree from Ukraine is valued all over the world. An MBBS from Ukraine can also apply for the USMLE test to practice in the US. There is also a good scope for pursuing your post-graduation or research from Ukraine as it provides exposure to international practices, exchange programs, conclaves, and a vibrant network of alumni.
Ans. The cost of pursuing MBBS from Ukraine varies with the university. The state universities offer relatively cheap education as compared to private universities. However, the average cost of pursuing MBBS from Ukraine is approximately ₹25 lakhs-₹28 lakhs for six years which is still cheaper as compared to its peers.
Ans. No. You don’t need to appear for the English proficiency tests. Almost all the topmost universities in Ukraine offer education in the English language. There is also a requirement for basic proficiency in the local language which is provided by the university itself.
Ans. The courses offered by universities for MBBS in Ukraine include General Medicine, Pharmacy, Pediatrics, Prosthodontics, Nursing, and Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
Ans. Admissions to the MBBS program in Ukraine take place twice a year. The spring semester start in March and the fall semester start in September. Hence, you need to apply for admission well before three to four months from the commencement of courses.
Ans. Yes. Ukraine is safe for Indian students. Ukrainian universities have Indian students’ unions for the welfare of Indian students. There is round the clock security on university campuses all over Ukraine. Some universities also provide separate hostels for girls.