Chemistry is a wide term to study and analyse, without it the world would've been impossible to understand and interpret as chemistry gives you knowledge of the tiniest elements of the world, the "ATOM" which is the most basic element of any substance existing in this world.
On the basic level chemistry is divided into two kinds- organic and inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry deals with the basic hydrocarbons and in higher level we study about it in detail, inorganic chemistry deals with the physical properties of elements like thermodynamics, chemical bonding etc.
What is it?
- By books it is the branch of science that is concerned with the substance by which matter is composed, from atoms to molecules to substances.
- It can be also defined as the study of various reactions when different class of elements interact with each other.
- The 5 counterparts of chemistry as subjects are – analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, biochemistry.
- Modern chemistry dates back to 17th century and the founder of this scientific field is Robert Boyle who believed in running tests before saying anything as “truth”.
- Advancements in chemistry field have bought immense development to the entire country as the subject itself contains so many workforces, the new inventions lead to new developments for the country.
Subjects in Chemistry-
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Molecular Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Polymer Chemistry
Various Degrees Offered in Chemistry Abroad
As chemistry is one of the basic subjects in the entire world, there are millions of universities offering this subject and some of them have long-term courses while some of them are short ones.
- B.Sc (Hons) In Chemistry (3 years)
- M.Sc in Industrial Chemistry (1 – 2 years )
- M.Sc in Applied Chemistry ( 2 – 3 years)
- M.Sc in Chemistry ( 2 years )
- M.Sc in Analytical Chemistry ( 1 – 5 Years )
- Ph.D in Chemistry ( specialization subject ) ( 1 – 5 years )
- Ph.D in Organic Chemistry ( 3 years )
- Ph.D in Analytical Chemistry ( 3 years )
- Ph.D in Polymer Chemistry ( 3 years )
- Ph.D in Biochemistry ( 3 years )
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering Technology ( 3 years )
Courses Offered In Chemistry Abroad
There are various kinds of courses available abroad, basically you get more options for M.Sc and PhD based on the field of specialization, for the undergraduate degree the course remains pretty much the same for India and abroad.
- B.Sc (Hons) in chemistry ( 3 years )
- M.Sc In Food Chemistry ( 2 years )
- M.Sc In Structural Chemistry ( 2 years )
- M.Sc in Molecular Sciences ( 2 years )
- Ph.D in Chemistry ( 3 – 4 years )
- Ph.D in Medicinal chemistry ( 3 years )
- Ph.D in Organic chemistry ( 3 years )
- Ph.D in Applied chemistry ( 3 years )
Top Universities for Chemistry Abroad
- University Of Cambridge (UK)
- Stanford University (US)
- Harvard University (US)
- University Of California ( US )
- Imperial College ( UK )
- California Institute Of Technology (US)
- Swiss Federal Institute Of Technology (Zurich)
- University Of Pennsylvania
- Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
- University of Chicago (US)
- University Of Tokyo (Japan)
Top countries offering Chemistry
The following countries have been a good educator for chemistry as a department.
- Germany – Germany has always welcomed students to obtain education in various fields, and having an abundant chemical industry in Europe, the country offers good technical courses for students who are looking for jobs after graduation.
- UK – Chemistry is a huge part of this place, mainly in England and Scotland. Top universities reside in these places. If you’re opting for research, UK is the best option as it gives you an opportunity to research on cancer medicines, neurosciences etc, it has a large industry of research. It will give you a worldwide experience of having the best minds in use with the best facilities provided.
- Australia – research of chemistry here is a little different, they work practically more. It can be researching about various organisms found in the sea, studying the process of winemaking etc. hence it gives you a lot of hand-on experience followed by adventure and fun.
- China – it is one of the world’s best educational and industrial hub, studying chemistry gives a vast opportunity to the students. The country offers various prestigious chemistry degrees and hence one should try taking admission in china based universities.
- Ireland – it is another popular country where students go to study chemistry, largely due to its similarities with the American syllabus. Along with the studies it is a pleasure to absorb the Irish culture and the warm-hearted people there
Scholarships for Chemistry Abroad
Jobs and Career prospects in Chemistry abroad
As chemistry is a wide subject on its own, the students are given a range of choices for jobs; it can include various fields like engineering, medicine, research and many more.
The kind of jobs you can do
If you don’t have a placement from the campus itself, getting some work experience will always benefit you. The main employers for chemistry in industries are from
- plastics and polymers
You can also opt for working as a lecturer in any university under a government fellowship or taking a government fellowship for research in the field of your choice. Maximum no. if students who go for studying chemistry they prefer to complete PhD specializations which are available abroad in the form of scholarships and fellowships. After PhD one can also opt for Post Doctorate which is usually to give you a lifelong experience of knowledge and adventure.
Some other jobs like a forensic chemist is a prestigious job where you’re closely associated with the law of India as well as live your dreams of being in the field of chemistry, they analyze biological fluids for DNA matches, gun residues from the crime scene etc. Biochemistry is a branch of chemistry in which you can further pursue a job or degree in biotechnology.
A new field of chemistry has been recently evolved which is called the flavor or food chemistry which is the R & D of new foods and ways to keep the food fresh and healthy.