What is Food Science?
Food science is the type of applied science which concentrates on the study of nourishment and food. The Institute of Food Technologists simplifies food science as "the discipline in which the engineering, biological, and physical sciences are used to study the nature of foods, the causes of deterioration, the principles underlying food processing, and the improvement of foods for the consuming public." The textbook Food Science defines food science it as "the use of knowledge of basic sciences and engineering to study the physical, chemical, and biochemical characteristics of foods and the processes and rules of food processing."
What is the task of a Food Scientist?
Exercises of food scientists incorporate the improvement of new food items, the outline of procedures to create these sustenances, the decision of bundling materials, a period of usability examines, tangible assessment of items utilizing review boards or potential buyers, and also microbiological and substance testing. Food researchers may contemplate more major wonders that are straightforwardly connected to the generation of sustenance items and their properties.
Sustenance science unites different logical orders. It joins ideas from fields, for example, microbiology, synthetic building, and natural chemistry.
What are the different branches of Food Science?
The different branches of Food Science are mentioned below:
- FOOD CHEMISTRY-Food chemistry is the research and application of chemical processes and reactions of all types of components of foods. The biological things, for example, items as meat, poultry, lettuce, beer, and milk. It is identical to biochemistry in its main topics and courses such as carbohydrates, lipids, and protein, but this also covers areas such as water, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, food additives, flavors, and colors. This branch also tells us how food items change when they are received after food processing techniques and researches about the techniques to either to Make it more healthy or to prevent them from causing damage.
- FOOD ENGINEERING- This branch focuses on the mass and industrial production process of food.
- Food microbiology- Food microbiology is research of the microorganisms that inhabit, create, or make the food inedible; it also focuses on the study of microorganisms causing food wastage. Some types of bacteria such as probiotics are essential to food science. Side by side, microorganisms are vital for the production of foods such as cheese, yogurt, bread, beer, wine and, other fermented foods.
- Food preservation- Food preservation takes care of the causes and prevention of quality of food products.
- Food substitution-Food substitution is the branch for the study of the changing of fat, sugar, or calories from a product while keeping similar shape, texture, color, or taste.
- Food technology-Food technology is the technological parts of food science. Early research into food technology was on food preservation. Nicolas Appert’s invention in 1810 of the canning process was a world-changing event. The process wasn’t called canning at that time.
- Molecular gastronomy-Molecular gastronomy is the scientific study and research of the ways of cooking, social and artistic gastronomical topics. Molecular gastronomy is one of the courses under food science that seeks to research the physical and chemical changes of ingredients that occur in cooking. This course includes three topics and cooking was recognized to have three points, which are social, artistic and technical.
- Quality control- Quality control is used to study the causes, prevention, and communication dealing with food-related illness. Quality control also ensures that products meet the requirements to make sure that the customer receives what they expect from the packaging to the physical properties of the product itself.
- Sensory analysis- Sensory analysis is the branch that studies of the consumer's ways and needs to use food items.
Which are some of the best countries offering the course?
There are many countries which offer the courses in Food Science, but some of the best courses are available in U.S.A, U.K, Ireland, Spain, New Zealand, and Australia
Which are the premier institutions offering the degree in Food Science?
Some of the leading institutions offering a degree in Food Science are:
- Wageningen University and Research, Wageningen, Netherlands
- Jianghan University, Wuhan, China
- China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
- South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China
- Ghent University, Gent, Belgium
- UNICAMP - University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
- The University of Sao Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
- Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
- University of California, Davis, Davis, United States
- University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
- University of Porto Porto, Portugal
- The University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst Center, United States
- KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
- University of Guelph, Guelph, Canada
- Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, China
- The Polytechnic University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
- Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
- China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
- University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, United States
- The University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
- Northwest A & F UniversityXi'an, China
- National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
- Nanchang University, Nanchang, China
- University Putra Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Cornell UniversityIthaca, United States
- University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
- Technical University of Munich, München, Germany
- University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
- The University of Granada, Granada, Spain
- University of Hohenheim, Ostfildern, Germany
What are the future job opportunities and career scope for Food Science?
There are various job prospects in the field of Food Science which are mentioned below:
Jobs directly related to the food science degree include:
- Food Technologist
- Nutritional therapist
- Product/process development scientist
- Quality manager
- Regulatory affairs officer
- Scientific laboratory technician
- Technical brewer
Jobs where your food sciences knowledge would be used include:
- Production manager
- Purchasing manager
- Research scientist (life sciences)
In 2015, the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) recorded that 36,100 individuals were utilized in Agricultural and Food Science. By 2024, the field is relied upon to see 5% development. In May of 2015, the BLS revealed that nourishment researchers and technologists earned a middle compensation of $65,840.
Solid scholarly foundations in science, science, designing, hereditary qualities, and other significant sciences can be parlayed into sustenance science and innovation positions in an assortment of settings. Nourishment researchers and technologists are utilized by the administration and sustenance handling businesses, and additionally by colleges, where they possess investigate positions.