Microbiology is a very important field in the current scenario. Microbes present around us is a benefit to the human kind which can be utilized in a no. of ways, Microbiology tells us those different ways. For Example the Industrial Fermentation (alcohol, vinegar), antibiotics. Apart from these uses it is also efficiently used in the areas of medicines and tissue engineering. Microorganisms are also used for the degradation of organic waste.
Hence for all these purposes, microbiology has come as an emerging field and we will see its various aspects below.
Microbiology – (What is it?)
- It is the study of molecular biology by growing different cultures on different mediums.
- It can also be defined as the study of microorganisms or microbes which can be Bacteria, viruses, protozoan, fungi etc.
- The recombinant DNA technology also plays an important part through which micro-organisms can be genetically modified by microbiologists and geneticists to face adversities of climates or other needs by the humans.
- Microbiology is also closely related to Biotechnology in which the bacteria or other micro-organisms are industrially exploited for the benefit of the human race.
- It is the analysis of both prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms.
Subjects in Microbiology
- Molecular Biology
Specialization Course Subjects
- Cellular Microbiology
- Microbial Genetics
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
Various Degrees Offered In Microbiology Abroad
There are 3 kinds of degrees which are usually given which is B.Sc , M.Sc and PhD courses. B.Sc can be of 3 years or 4 years while M.Sc in abroad in generally 1 to 2 years.
- Bachelor’s in – Microbiology ( 4 Years )
- Bachelor’s in –Microbiology ( 3 Years )
- Master’s in - Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology (1 Year)
- Master’s in - Biological Sciences (1 Year )
- Master’s in - Microbiology ( 2 Years )
- Diploma – Pharmaceutical Analysis ( 1 Year )
- Diploma – Biotechnology ( 1 Year )
- Ph.D in – Microbiology
Courses Offered In Microbiology
There are various courses offered in different fields of microbiology and a student can select which course they wish to pursue and specialize in.
Top countries offering Microbiology
The following countries
- U.S. – This country which has been flourishing in all fields have also excelled in the field of microbiology and hence a lot of colleges have this as a course and many companies offer good jobs to the microbiologists.
- U.K. – This region which is rich in heritage and history is also a good hub to study sciences and microbiology
- Australia – The country takes in general microbiology for studies and jobs
Top Universities for Microbiology Abroad
- Harvard University United States
- University of Oxford United Kingdom
- University of Washington United States
- Rockefeller University United States
- University of California–San Francisco
- Duke University United States
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology United States
- University of Wisconsin–Madison United States
- Johns Hopkins University United States
- Washington University in St. Louis United States
- Stanford University United States
- Imperial College London United Kingdom
- University of Tokyo Japan
- University of California–Berkeley United States
- University of Pennsylvania United States
- University of Cambridge United Kingdom
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai United States
- Cornell University United States
- University of California–San Diego
- University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill United States
- Yale University United States
- Emory University United States
- University of Alabama–Birmingham
- University of Edinburgh United Kingdom
- University of Glasgow United Kingdom
- University of Queensland Australia
- University of Hong Kong
- Pennsylvania State University United States
- Osaka University Japan
- McGill University Canada
Scholarships for Microbiology Abroad
- Microbiology Scholarships at SIU – USA – This scholarship is given to undergraduates who are excellent at their studies at the SIU College.
- Departmental Scholarship at Montana State University - Canada – This scholarship is also for undergraduates which is given to students based on their merit and faculty nomination.
- Department of Microbiology and Immunology Scholarship – USA – This scholarship is given to graduate students.
- Floyd Microbiology Summer Fellowship – USA – This scholarship is given to PhD or MA Graduates
- PhD Scholarships Microbiology and Biofilm Research – Denmark - This scholarship is given to PhD students within a project which is funded by Lundbeck Foundation.
- Walter Winfrey Memorial Microbiology Scholarship – This scholarship is given to undergraduate students.
- Robert Burns Medical Microbiology Scholarship
- Margaret Root McKinley Scholarship - University of Oklahoma
- Arizona Public Service Navajo Scholars Program for Tribal Colleges – This scholarship is given to students who have studied in tribal colleges.
- Harlem YMCA bai Corporate Scholarship Award
- PhD Fellowships in Life Science at University of Lausanne in Switzerland, 2018 – This scholarship is for PhD students.
- PhD Position in Microbiology-Comparative Systems biology in Antibiotics Research at Uppsala University in Sweden
Jobs and Career in Microbiology
Microbiology is a huge subject which includes a no. of topics to work upon; Pharmacy, Medicine and Agriculture are a few of them. Others can be Clinical Research, Chemical Technology etc. Mostly it is better to do B.Sc and M.Sc in Microbiology and later if one wants to go in research can opt for PhD courses, a lot of PhD Scholarships are given by the universities abroad mainly from the USA and Canada.
Getting a job after B.Sc can be difficult in this competitive field hence it is advised to get some work experience in hand like internships or an M.Sc degree for the same. PhD degree can make you overqualified for some jobs but if you wish to pursue it’s the best option anyone can ever have. This field also requires up teem amount of patience and hard work.
The skills which are taken into consideration are Problem – Solving, analytical and scientific skills highly in demand.
The countries where scope of microbiology is the highest are USA, UK, Canada, Australia and Germany
The Job Profiles are as follows
- Food, Industrial or Environmental Microbiologists
- Quality Assurance Technologists
- Sales or Technical Representative
- Clinical and Veterinary Microbiologists
- Medical Technologists
- Biomedical Scientist
- Clinical Research Associate
- Food Technologist
- Scientific Laboratory Technician
- Physician Associate
- Research Scientist (life sciences)
The firms where one can get employed for microbiology is
- Pharmaceutical Industries
- Private Hospitals
- Research Organizations
- Environmental Agencies
- Food Industry
- Beverage Industry
- Chemical Industries
- Agriculture Department