For all the international students interested in taking up theory and practice of politics in the field of social sciences, then an ideal option is a course in Political Science. With focus on the formulation,functioning and organization of the government in the society, Political Science courses prepare students for careers in law firms, charities, councils,retail and media companies, local and national government, accountancy and banking organizations, etc as interns/volunteers, analysts, campaigners, campaign specialists, policy specialists, legislators, pollsters, media managers, etc. For this, political science courses such as diploma, bachelors, masters, doctorate of philosophy, etc focus on the themes and disciplines of Human Rights, International Politics, International Relations, Comparative Politics, Politics and Public Policy, Politics and Communication,World Politics,Diplomacy, Conflict Management and Resolution, Administration,etc.
What is Political Science?
Political Science courses includes knowledge and skills such as analyzing public policy initiatives, applying an intercultural and international perspective to political issues, assessing the impact of pending legislation on public policy, assessing the validity/reliability polls/surveys, conducting legal analyses, dissecting campaign strategy, evaluating the effectiveness of government programs, interpreting political events in light of political theory, negotiating agreements, proposing political solutions to social and economic problems, etc.
Apart from the above mentioned skills, Political Science courses also feature research paper and writing thesis on the political scenario and spheres, political initiatives, public policies, governmental actions, campaigns, opinions, etc, in various lights using strong arguments and considerate facts.
Political Science courses emphasise on the following subjects, which are as follows-
- Human Rights
- Politics and Communication
- Politics & Public Policy
- International Politics
- International Relations
- Comparative Politics
- World Politics
- Conflict Management and Resolution
Various Degrees Offered in Political Science Abroad
International students aiming for pursuing a course in Political Science, Politics, International Relations, Diplomacy, Conflict Management, Peace and Resolution, etc have a variety of courses to choose from, starting with the diploma courses, to graduate and postgraduate degree to doctorate and research studies, which are listed below.
- Diploma in Political Science- These are six to eight month long courses, depending on the university and subject of study.
- Bachelor in Political Science- These are regular three to four year courses, focusing on graduation or major in the subject of political science.
- Dual Bachelor in Political Science and Law/ World Politics/ Sociology/ International Relations/ Economics- These are two to three year long courses, with equal emphasis on political science and the matching themes of the other subject.
- Master of Arts in Political Science- These are two year courses.
- Master of Science in Political Science-These are two year courses.
- Master of Science in Political Communication- These are two year courses.
- Master of Arts in Politics- These are two year courses.
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Political Science- These courses span up to 4 years maximum and vary with the nature and theme of study and research.
Political Science Courses Offered Abroad
Given below is a list of popular Political Science courses across the globe, covering diplomas, graduate courses, postgraudate degree and PhD courses.
- BA Hons Politics, Law and Economics, University of Buckingham
- Bachelor in International and Comparative Politics, The American University of Paris
- BA in Political Science and International Studies, McDaniel College, Budapest
- BA in Politics and Society, Anglo-American University
- Bachelor in History and Politics, University of Cambridge
- Bachelor of International Politics, Sun Yat-sen University
- Bachelor of International Politics, University of South Australia
- Bachelor of Politics and International Relations, University of Canberra
- Bachelor of Science in Political Science, Eastern New Mexico University
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, University of Carlos III Madrid
- Bachelor’s Program in Political Science and World Politics, HSE University, Saint Petersburg
- Dual Bachelors in Law and Politics, University of Carlos III Madrid
- Bachelors in Politics and Economics, University of Manchester
- Bachelor of Science in Politics and Economics, University of Buckingham
- MA Global Diplomacy, University of London
- MA in Social and Political Science, International University of Sarajevo
- Master of Science in Political Science, University of Antwerp
- Master of Public Administration, University of Canberra
- Masters in Conflict Analysis and Resolution, Sabanci University
- Master of Political Science in Public Policy, University of Wroclaw, Poland
Top Countries for Political Science Courses Abroad
Since Political Science is a favorite among international students as a subject for higher education, therefore, several countries abroad offer a variety of courses in the same. However, the top countries for courses in Political Science, in the domain of social sciences, are given below.
- Europe- Popularly known as the new hub for all politics related courses, Europe’s Switzerland and Geneva are leaders for political theory and practice.
- Australia- Australia in general, with special emphasis on Canberra and Sydney, is a great destination for course on political science, administration, world politics, comparative politics, etc.
- South America- A surprising entry, yet a rightful entrant in the list of popular countries for Political Science courses is South America. Known for its interesting history and evolutionary politics, South America and especially Chile make for a great place to learn about politics and World Politics.
- Asia- Asian countries such as China and Hong Kong have been veterans in the domain of political science and politics, therefore for those who are interested in political science courses, must consider it as a great option.
- Africa- The African nations and especially the Bostonian region make an ideal destination for studies of nation building, politics, policies, administration ,etc. To study political science in a different nation, will give more perspective and insight into politics, in terms of culture, policy, governance, conflict and resolution ,etc.
Top Universities for Political Science Abroad
All international students wish to study in the leading universities for their respective courses. Political Science, being one of the most sought after course these days, is one subject that is offered in several leading universities of the world. Given below is a list of the best universities for Political Science courses, in respect to their QS world rankings presently.
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Harvard University, United States of America
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), United Kingdom
- Yale University, United States of America
- University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- University of Columbia, Berkeley, United States of America
- University of Princeton,United States of America
- Australian National University, Australia
- Science Po Paris, France
- University of Toronto, Canada
- National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Freie Universitaet Berlin, Germany
- University of Tokyo, Japan
- Stanford University, United States of America
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States of America
- University of Sydney, Australia
- University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Leiden University, Netherlands
- Peking University, China
- Seoul National University, South Korea
- University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Central European University, Hungary
- National Taiwan University, Taiwan
Scholarships for Political Science Courses Abroad
Most of the study abroad courses can prove to be a bomb on the pocket. However, there are several grants and scholarships that are offered by countries, states, universities and even public figures and philanthropists, in order to provide financial aid to the bright students in need. Here is a list of scholarships available for Political Science undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD courses abroad.
- University of Glasgow Political Science Scholarships
- LSE PhD Studentships for UK/EU and Overseas Students
- Humane Studies Fellowships at George Mason University in the USA
- James Madison Graduate Fellowships in the USA
- Romanian Government Political Science Scholarships for International Students
- BGHS Start-up Scholarships for International Students in Germany
- ISF National Scholarships
- CSDP Fellowships in Political Science
- OSCE Academy MA Scholarship in Politics & Security
- Onassis Foundation- 20th Foreigners’ Fellowships Programme
- Ashbrook Scholar Program
- APSA Minority Fellowship Program
- Charles Koch Foundation Dissertation Grant
- Davidson Fellows Scholarship
- COAG Scholarship
- EPP Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- GWCF National Scholarship Competition
- Gloria Barron Wilderness Society Scholarship
- Matt Fong Asian Americans in Public Finance Scholarship
- MIT Inspire Competition
Jobs and Careers after Political Science Courses Abroad
After a graduate or a postgraduate course in Political Science, those interested in further studies can opt for research studies or PhD courses available at the various leading universities. Ideally, the PhD courses abroad span a maximum of four years, depending and varying with the nature and subject of research. Some of the popularly known and opted for PhD courses in Political Science are Doctorate of Philosophy in Political Science, International Relations, Diplomacy, World Politics, Public Administration, Comparative Politics, etc.
PhD Scholarships with partial and full funding for interested international students are as follows-
- Rajiv Gandhi Cambridge Scholarship
- Everett Helm Visiting Fellowships
- Fulbright Foreign Student Programs
Students interested in professional careers after Political Science courses can pursue the following streams such as law firms, local and national government, accountancy and banking organizations,charities, councils,retail and media companies, etc. The average median salary for a Political Science graduate, postgraduate and PhD scholar lies between the bracket of $45,005 and $138,000, increasing with the number of experience and political knowledge.
A survey according to the mean wage for Political science students revealed the following statistics in terms of their employment sector, which is given below.
- Scientific research and development services: $115,100
- Federal executive branch: $119,810
- Colleges, universities and professional schools: $57,970
- Social advocacy organizations: $87,130
- Management, scientific and technical consulting services: $128,670
Some of the leading professions opted by political science graduates are-
- Legislative Assistants
- Policy Analyst
- Social Media Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Political Campaign Specialist
- Political Consultant
- Marketing Research Analyst
- Intelligence Analyst
- Communications Coordinator
- Chief of Staff