SAT also known as the Scholastic Aptitude Test and later it was called the Scholastic Assessment Test is a standardized test used for getting admissions for colleges in the United States. It was founded initially in the year 1926 by the College Board. It is a 3 hour, pencil and paper test which consists of multiple-choice questions.
It is important for the students who want to pursue their education in the United States to do their preparation well to crack the SAT exam. As we know, planning is the first and foremost thing to do for achieving anything. So students must know how to prepare well for the SAT exam.
This article helps you to get a clear idea of how to prepare for the SAT exam.
SAT Exam study tips
Is it very much essential for the students to know where to start preparing? There are lots and lots of things to study apart from the stuff that is available in the study materials. So, in addition to your preparation, there are so many things to learn for cracking the SAT. Some of the most important study tips are discussed below.
- Since SAT questions will be a bit difficult to analyze, start practising reading nonfiction. It will be useful for easier and faster analysis of the questions.
- The verbal section relies fully on grammar. So start brushing up your grammar.
- In the SAT exam, you won’t be allowed to use a calculator for the first 25 minutes. So start practising mental math and learn some easier math tricks.
- Start taking some practice tests, since it helps you get practised with the model of the question paper. Also, analyze the mistakes you are repetitively committing and start focusing on it.
- Don’t rush up with your preparations. Instead, spend a constant time regularly for the preparation and take tests continuously on the topics you have learned so that you would not forget easily.
- Along with these, choose the best study material which helps you get a high score.
SAT Exam reading tips
The reading tips will help you with reading tough and critical questions in the SAT exam. First, start searching for the words that give positive or negative meaning in the passage.
This helps you in getting a clear idea of removing the other three options and picking up the right one. The most important reading tips will be discussed below.
- First, quickly go through the passage. This helps you get the important points so that you can easily guess the answers.
- It is important to read the intro paragraphs in every question. Without reading the first passage, you would not be able to get a clear idea about what the passage is going to tell.
- Start searching for direct evidence in the passage, so that you can guess the answers quickly.
- While reading a passage, get interested in it. Without interest, one cannot get a clear context of any passage.
- Always look for the context. Not everything will be clearly given in a question. Focus on the strong adjectives that will help you get the exact meaning of the passage.
SAT Math Tips
The SAT exam contains the math part as its 3rd and 4th sections. For the first 25 minutes, the students are not allowed to use the calculator and for the next 55 minutes, calculators can be used. SAT math consists of four content areas:
- Heart of Algebra
- Problem Solving
- Data Analysis
- Passport to Advanced Math
Additional Topics in Math
There are some math tips for easily cracking the math part. The most important SAT math tips are,
- It is useless to take so many tests if you are not focusing on the portions you are weak on, especially on the math part.
- Solve and find out the corrections according to your knowledge without directly looking for the answers. Because the math part involves more practising.
- Find out and underline the key points and data of the questions. It is necessary for finding the answers quickly and correctly.
- Always memorize the formulas of the topics while practising.
- It is most important to have the formulas in your mind for the correct prediction of the answers. Without knowing the formulas, one cannot even proceed a single step for getting the answer.
SAT Writing Tips
It is important to follow some writing tips as you follow for reading and for math. It is useless that you prepare well, read the questions well unless you write well in the exam. So it is important to have some writing tips in your mind while performing in the exam. Some of the most important writing tips are,
- In the SAT exam, you will be answering multiple-choice questions and also the essay questions.
- The SAT writing session focuses more on grammar. So the students should have known the grammar rules well for providing the correct answers to the question.
- You should be more careful while choosing the NO CHANGE option. It is very much less than a 25% chance of being NO CHANGE as the answer. So you should check your answers twice or thrice before confirming.
- Go through the paragraph well before attempting the rhetoric questions.
- Be careful while answering the multiple-choice questions. Sometimes, more than one answer may appear as correct. In that case, choose the most accurate one.
SAT Essay Tips
The SAT Essay is a 650 to 700-word passage. 50 minutes are allotted to complete the essay. The SAT essay is used to evaluate how effectively one can read and grasp a passage and write an essay using their own words from that passage.
That is your score will be allotted based on the reading, analyzing and also for the writing skills. So you should be very careful while writing the essay. Some of the SAT Essay tips are,
- You should be very careful in your spelling and punctuation while answering the essay question.
- Your handwriting should be in the correct size and should also be clear for the one who is reading.
- Read the passage and understand the author’s point of view clearly before answering. Take some 10 to 15 minutes time to analyze the passage and then start answering.
- Don’t just completely stick to the author’s views. Try to explain your own views and using your own examples.
- Quotes can also be used to highlight important points.
SAT Test Day Tips
Apart from all preparations and practices, you should stay cool while attempting the exam. You should not get nervous. For that everything should be planned and organized well. Pack the things you need for the exam on the night before the exam. The tips to be followed on the day of the exam include,
- Don’t forget to take these things: Admission ticket, Photo ID, pencils, erasers, and a calculator.
- Don’t spend much time on the questions that you have no idea about. Just skip them and come back to those if you have time in the end.
- Instead of completely skipping the questions, just encircle the answer according to your guess. By using this you will not be leaving any questions unanswered.
- If you have extra time, use it wisely by checking your answers again and again. By doing so, you can eliminate the careless mistakes you have done.
- Stay calm during the exam. Don’t be nervous at any point in time. Don’t lose your hope if you are skipping some questions. You can get an idea at any point in time during the exam only if you are able to think without any tension.
- How can I prepare for the SAT at home?
You can prepare for the SAT exam at home by buying the proper study materials under someone’s guidance and also with the help of the internet.
- How do you take the SAT tips?
You can take the SAT tips by reading some articles from the internet or from the persons who have already written SAT.
- How long does it take to prepare for the SAT?
Generally, it takes around 2 months or approximately 39 hours of study to complete the SAT preparation.
- Is the SAT exam hard?
SAT is harder than most of the other standardized tests. But with diligence and dedication, one can crack the SAT.