Education stream is providing knowledge to students; it can be in any field and at any level. It can be also defined as facilitating learning and inculcating good habits, knowledge into students.
In obtaining education there is one single bond of a teacher also called as the educator/tutor and a student, it can be one-to-one or one-to-many. Education is very important in an individual’s life as it tells us about almost everything that is going around the world and beyond, any educated person is potential tutors to the uneducated class. The formal education which is mandatory by the governments is divided into stages like kindergarten, primary school, secondary school, college, apprenticeship.
In case of informal education terms like vocational education, tuition classes come into the picture.
In formal education, there is a curriculum set based on the country one is talking about. It also depends upon the school or university of which board or course they choose.
It is been argued that high rates of education are efficient for the growth of a country economically, analysis predicts that poor countries should grow faster than rich countries as they can adopt technologies which are already tested by rich countries, but technology transfer requires knowledge and educated engineers to operate which makes education an important aspect here.
An education sector is an education system whose primary motive is to provide education to children and young people in an educational setting.
Top Countries to Study Education Abroad
It is also defined as a graduate degree which prepares students for work as a teacher in schools. Let us see how this degree varies from country to country.
- USA & Canada The degrees are awarded for the coursework completed from one to five years within a program. The number of years depends upon the country and its universities. An Bachelors of Education program may have a direct entry from high school; as a combined degree with another bachelor's degree (e.g., B.A./Education.); or as an after-degree program where the candidate has obtained a bachelor's degree. There is various kind of Education available for elementary school, middle school, and high school education. Students wishing to become teachers of middle school generally study liberal arts, for secondary education students specialize in one or two areas.
- Australia A 4-year bachelor’s degree combines practical study with a major sequence in the academic discipline of education. In Australian universities, there are 2 types of degrees – Primary and Secondary; the subjects are very different for both the levels. If a student chooses primary Bachelors of Education the subjects focused are behavior, good habits, children, basic literacy while in case of secondary the subjects focused are English, geography, history, chemistry, business studies etc. The longer duration of the course provides scope for a higher number of practical experiences and greater personal or professional development before teaching service.
- New Zealand A 3-year course of Education is available in this country that prepares graduates to teach in early childhood centers, primary and intermediate schools. The qualification is designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge they need to be effective teachers, teaching practices allow students to gain invaluable experience in diverse education settings as they study.
- United Kingdom The course duration ranges from 3 to 4 years for primary and secondary education, the teacher training colleges called as the Institutions of Education in London; Students are offered an extra year of education, increasing the course up to four years in length and resulting in a Bachelor of Education degree.
There is also a course called B.Sc.Ed which is a degree awarded to students who complete 4 to 5 years of course study in the field of science (major and minor in physics, chemistry, biology, math)
Major degrees in Education abroad
- English with Secondary Education (QTS) (Hons) - University of Wolverhampton – UK – 3 years
- Education – University of Tasmania – 4 years
- Primary education with QTS ( Hons) – School of Teacher Development – 3 years
- Education – University of Prince Edward Island – Canada – 1 year
- International Teacher Education for Secondary Schools – NHL Stenden University of Applied Science - Netherlands – 4 years
- Bachelor’s of teaching and learning – Charles Darwin University – 4 years
- Bachelor of teaching – Australian Catholic University – 4 years
- Bachelor in English pedagogy and education – South China Normal University – 4 years
- Education And Psychology – Southampton university – 3 years
- Education Leadership – Park university – Missouri city – 2 years
- School counseling – James Madison University – 2 years
- M.Ed – University of South Carolina – 1 ½ year
- M.Ed – Childhood Education – University of South Carolina - 2 years
- M.Ed – Lincoln Memorial University – 2 years
Top Universities to study Education
The top universities for studying Education is –
- Arizona State University – this university is huge having a lot of departments within itself, it offers good courses in Education Architecture, Engineering etc. it is ranked 212 globally.
- Liverpool Hope University – the university offers good courses in Education, Media communication, Computer Science etc. It is ranked 83 worldwide.
- The University of Birmingham – the university offers courses in Education, marketing, finance etc. it is ranked 79 globally
- University of Southampton – this university offers various courses for both Education and M.Ed. it is ranked 96 globally.
- University of Gloucestershire – this university offers courses in accountancy, business, architecture, Education. it is ranked 88 incomplete university rank the UK
Career and Job prospects
Many students go abroad to teach English as a Foreign Language abroad, one needs a bachelor’s degree in any subject/major, and an ESL teaching qualification (such as a TEFL certification) at the minimum.
The universities often look for qualifications of Education and specialization on the field of one’s teaching. There are a number of questions asked when it comes to teaching in universities about foreign language but mostly English is the accepted language in major countries all over the world. Elementary school teachers are required to hold a degree in education, childhood development, or other related subjects.
A good amount of experience is required before one joins an international university or school. Many international schools require that teachers hold certification in their subject and grade level. Depending on the state or province it could be K-3, K-6, K-12 certification, or licensure for the specific subject and grade level.
There is a lot of employment for teachers abroad as not many good teachers exist, especially in higher levels of study like high school or secondary school. Hence the scope of teaching is vast abroad and mostly in countries like the US, London, Saudi Arabia etc.