International relationship or International affairs commonly known as International studies or global affairs is the field of political and social science which deals with the study of theories and culture which forms the basis of political and social outcome of any country. Basically it is the study of law, business policies, politics, and social life of the country. International relations study can either focus on International political and diplomatic affairs, International trade, International law or International cooperation.
There are various theories and concepts which are focused in International study to get a better understanding. Theories such as Normative, Positivist, Post positivist, Leadership etc. through these studies it tries to gauge the impact of various different political and social systems on the ever increasing global scale.
The distinctive feature of International relationship is that it is not confined to just classroom. To get in depth knowledge about the political and social aspect one is supposed to live in the country or region. It is best advised to enroll for a program overseas. There are various countries famous for International Relations namely, Switzerland, USA, Netherlands, Singapore, UK.
As an entry level program you can choose a Certificate or Diploma course or the Graduate program. The minimum age limit to apply for the course in International Relations is 18 years. It is preferred but not compulsory to have background in Social sciences, Political sciences, Business, or management. After the Bachelor’s program one can pursue Master’s or PhD in International Relations.
You must also qualify for English Proficiency Tests depending upon the University or College you wish to apply for. Most colleges accept IELTS and TOEFL score. Some colleges also accept PTE score.
By the end of World War I there was a need to understand International affairs and its impacts. As it studies Politics and Diplomacy along with Warfare, Military tactics and terrorism it gained more importance by the end of World War II. In today’s scenario there is a huge scope for International Relations Specialist.
As the course provides you with knowledge and expertise in the field of International Relations you are in a better place to advice on matters relating to it. It allows you t be on the advisory or consultant panel at private as well as public sector. There are many organizations which work on humanitarian work; United Nations being one of them. It also opens up avenues to work with such organizations.
The study and practice of international relations in today’s world is valuable for many reasons:
- International relations promote successful trade policies between nations.
- International relations encourage travel related to business, tourism, and immigration, providing people with opportunities to enhance their lives.
- International relations allows nations to cooperate with one another, pool resources, and share information as a way to face global issues that go beyond any particular country or region. Contemporary global issues include pandemics, terrorism, and the environment.
- International relations advances human culture through cultural exchanges, diplomacy and policy development.
Types of degrees:
There are various degrees in International Relations
- Certificate or a Diploma Course: This course is a short term course which gives a brief overview of International affairs and its policies. It may be a part time or a full time course. It will make you eligible for entry level jobs in the market.
- Bachelor’s in International Relations: A Bachelor’s program is mainly 3 years full time course. You can choose to focus on international relations and international law, foreign policy, industrialized countries, developing states, Latin America, East Asia, Africa, or the Middle East.
- Master’s in International Relations: It is a 2-year full-time postgraduate course which focuses on topics such as the international political economy, globalization, war, ethics and human rights, philosophy and social theory, and security and political violence through the contending perspectives of international relations and politics.
- PhD in International Relations: It is a 3 years doctorate program which mainly emphasizes on in-depth research and analysis of chooses field of International Relations be it trade, law, politics, terrorism, social life etc. It is the top most degree program in its field.
As listed above the top countries to study International Relations are Switzerland, Switzerland, USA, Netherlands, Singapore, United Kingdom and China.
Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations: Post World War I humanitarian efforts and study of international relations started in Geneva. The GSD is a small and exclusive university institute which attracts people from all over the world. It provides an exceptional learning experience and has distinguished faculty.
University of St. Gallen: Founded in 1989 is over a 100 years old university. It provides with graduates and Post Graduates course in International Relations. It has more than 200 partner universities.
- United States of America:
University of Chicago: it was the first ever university to offer a well structured graduate program in International Relations now it is Offered jointly by Harris Public Policy and the Committee on International Relations (CIR), the program results in two master of arts degrees—one in public policy and one in international relations.
University of California Los Angeles: The UCLA Department of Political Sciences will soon complete its centennial year and is ranked as one of the finest in the US. It has a distinguished faculty and focus on research and on field training.
Singapore Management University: One of the best business schools in Asia, SMU is the best place to city about Asian diplomacy as the country is near other Asian nations and offers a multifaceted culture of Chinese, Malays, Hindus, and Westerners.
Harvard Graduates School of Arts and Sciences: The GSAS need no introduction as it is a renowned institution. It offers degree courses under Department of Government. They are recognized for their commitment to historical, institutional, and philosophical approaches to the study of politics.
Leiden University: Leiden University was founded in 1575 and is one of Europe’s leading international research universities. It has seven faculties in the arts, humanities and sciences, spread over locations in Leiden and The Hague. It provides 7 different courses in International Relations
The fees are subjected to vary depending upon the country you wish to study from and the course you wish to apply for.
In Netherlands the average tuition fees for a Bachelor’s Program is 9 lakh INR whereas for a Master’s degree it is 13 lakh for the first year.
In USA the average tuition fees for a Bachelors Program is 15-18 lakh INR whereas for a Master’s degree it is 18-21 lakh for the first year.
In Switzerland the average tuition fees for a Bachelor’s and a Master’s Program is 5-6 lakh INR
There career prospect for a International Relations Specialist are wide. There are a lot of job avenues in various fields. There are various Organizations and Agencies an IR specialist can work with like:
- Action against Hunger
- Oxfam International
- World Food Programme
- Department of State
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Commerce
- General Electric
- Exxon Mobil
- Washington Post
- The Guardian
- Der Spiegel
- New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- World Trade Organization
- United Nations
- Amnesty International
- Freedom House
- Human Rights Watch
- Reporters Without Borders
Research centers/Think tanks
- Brookings Institution
- Center for International Policy
- Council on Foreign Relations
- Global Public Policy Institute
Job position & job description:
There are various types of jobs and IR specialist can apply for.
- International Relations Expert: An International relation expert is someone who is involved in the task of deliberating and discussing international issues at various forums
- Lawyer: As graduated in IR with focus on International Law one can practice as a Lawyer who focuses on the legal practices on issues that affect businesses, like taxation, intellectual property, and other various types of business transactions.
- News Affairs: The job of a news editor would involve dealing with the editing of news items related to foreign affairs and international concerns.
- Research Analyst: A research analyst is responsible for collecting documents of client companies and researching background information about client’s companies. They conduct in-depth data analyses using traditional and advanced methods, and coordinate conference calls and meetings with client companies.
- Journalist: Being an expert in international affairs one can work as a journalist with a media outlet focusing on the area of expertise.
- Economic Affairs Officers: He is responsible for supervising a team of economists undertaking their work, who are responsible for producing the publication of the world economic prospectus and situations. They make presentations and prepare speeches for their senior staffs.