About South Australia
Being the happy country in the World Happiness Report 2019, South Australia is a state located in the Southern Central part of Australia, which is the 4th largest of Australian states and territories and ranks 5th in the largest by its population 17,48,630 (2019). It’s one of the world’s most liveable cities with a relaxed and welcoming feeling. It ranks 3rd in the world in several foreign students for studying as there are 7 of the top 100 universities located. Bursting with the culture and its flavors, South Australia is rich in its state by providing premium study options and a world-class education hub for the aspirants. Adelaide being its capital, offers students best with diverse communities, bustling business & a healthy economy.
Adelaide is also host to global technology leaders Microsoft, NEC, BAC systems, Global investment, and accounting firms. There are lots of interesting broad view located over here such as Adelaide Hills, Clare Valley, Kangaroo Island, Umoona Opal Mine & Museum, Wadlata Outback Centre, Old Times Mine & Museum, Fresh Fish Place, South Australian Whale Centre and a lot of other tourists visiting sites for the students.
Top Universities in South Australia
There are 38k International students are enrolled in South Australia, along with the 266k Domestic students. Adelaide serves as the home University for the students by ranking in the top 1% of world university, which itself is 140 yrs. Old. Every University is rich in providing Research related environment which ranks South Australia to the most intensive research university in Asia- Pacific Region. The ESOS and TEQSA Act protects students from enrolling in the Universities.
The list of top universities in South Australia are
- The University of Adelaide (ranked #120 in World), (1.5km from Adelaide).
- Flinder’s University (#251-300), (12.4 Km from Adelaide).
- The University of South Australia (1.4 km away from Adelaide).
- Carnegie Mellon University (22 miles away).
- TAFE South Australia (1.9 km away).
- Torren’s University (500 meters away).
Popular Courses in South Australia
The study begins in February (Winter Semester) and ends in December (Summer Semester). There is various diversity in the courses provided to the students. UniSA Venture facilitates translation of research outcomes into Products & Services and important to industry Placements. There are several other such as the Australian Office of Mullard Space Science Laboratory (MSSL) and home to the International Energy Policy Institute (IEPI) for various Research fields. Right from Foundation Programme for ten months, it provides Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctrine, and Certificate Diploma Courses.
The cost of education fees for various degrees varies by: -
- Vocational Education & Training- $4k to $22k
- Bachelor’s Degree - $20k to $45k
- Master’s Degree - $22k to $50k
- Doctrine Degree - $18k to $42k
(The South Australian Government Website takes the above data)
Popular Courses in South Australia along with the Research fields are
- Business Research
- Health & Medical Sciences
- Engineering Technology
- IT and Networking Sector
- Culinary Courses
- Language Courses
- Arts and Culture
However, a wide range of scholarships are available for the students studying in South Australia, and they can avail of it.
Living Expenses and Part-Time Jobs.
By the Dept. Of Home Affairs, 1st of February 2018, the living cost for the Students staying in Australia are
- Hostel & Guest Houses- $90 to $150 / week
- Shared Rental- $95 to $ 215 / week
- On-Campus- $10 to $ 280 / week
- Home Stay- $235 to $325/ week
- Groceries & Eating Out- $140 to $280/ week
- Gas & Electricity- $10 to $20 / week
- Transportation- $30 to $60/ week
- Entertainment- $80 to $150 / week
Note: - The Cost of living varies accordingly by the places they choose to live and the expenditure they want to spend.
However, Transport concessions are being provided for international aspirants.
International students can only for 20 hours a week and about 40 hours (fortnight) during the entire semester. However, they can work full time during the summer holidays and the mid-year break by getting paid for the hours. Work permit for 1-4 years is possible for the applicants in Australia.
Several Part Time Jobs available for the students are
- Retail- Includes Supermarkets, Boutiques, Department Stores
- Hospitality – Includes Cafes, Restaurants, etc.$10 to $20 / week
- Farming & Fruit Packing
- Administration & Clerical Work
- Services- Includes Childcare, Aged Care, etc.
- Volunteer Opportunities and many more