Masters in Pharmacy is one of the standard masters’ degree in the field of pharmaceuticals. It is also one of the oldest degrees provided by from the European Faculties. It is 4 year course based degree with follow credit system. It is done to broaden the knowledge of medical sciences. In the last year of the degree students have to work and research on a thesis and submit at the time of final practical. It opens up a wide range of job opportunities for students ranging from public to corporate sector. For pursuing the different courses in Pharmacy, the students must have an interest for science, particularly Life Sciences and medicine. After the completion of the course, graduate students can find a lot of jobs in Bio-Pharm, medical devices and equipment manufacturing companies, cosmetics and perfume companies, consultancies, blood banks, pharmacy journalists, food and drug control administration, research associates, nutraceuticals, hospitals, health centers, and a lot more.
For taking an admission to these colleges, international students first need to give GRE and TOEFL/IELTS. The scholarships are offered to the students depending on their previous academic results, and after entering into the universities, their academic scores. If the students score well in the 1st semester, they may get a fee waiver for the 2nd one. The fee may vary between 4 Lakhs to 25 Lakhs depending on the course and university you choose. For example, the Masters of Psychology ranges from 4-5 Lakhs whereas the total fee in MSc in Pharmaceutical Analysis can go up to 23 Lakhs.
To get entry into a Master of Pharmacy degree program abroad, a student has to follow these steps:
- Research and get information: To pursue any degree program abroad, a student needs to get knowledge about the various programs available abroad and then choose a few of them to apply to. Students need to be aware of the programs available at different universities and for this they can take help of the internet and a qualified counselor who can guide them properly.
- Complete the eligibility criteria: For admission into most of the countries abroad, students are required to appear for English Proficiency exams since it is mandatory to prove their competency in English language. Students can appear for any of the exams like IELTS, TOEFL or PTE.
- Get documents ready: To file applications at abroad universities, it is necessary to get documents completed. These are the documents required:
- Application Form
- 10th and 12th Mark sheets and Passing Certificates issued by the examination board such as CBSE or ICSE, etc.
- Statement of Purpose- A SOP is an essay stating the students’ interest and journey so far in context of the intended course or field of study.
- Letter of Recommendation-Also known as references, these letters are generally from professors, who validate the students’ academic and intellectual acumen.
- Your Resume
- IELTS/PTE/TOEFL Test Scores
- Financial Documents to prove you have funds for the intended period of education abroad.
- File Application: The students then need to complete the application form and file their applications.
- Apply for Visa: Once the student’s application is selected, he receives an offer letter. Then the visa application needs to be completed so as to file and obtain the visa.
Syllabus and Course Description
There are different subjects prescribed by the Universities and Colleges that are included in syllabus:
- Modern Analytical Techniques
- Advance in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance
- Chemistry of medical natural product
- Organic Chemistry
- Standardization and stabilization of Drugs and Herbal formulation
- Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
- Advanced systemic Pharmacology
- Design and development of Novel Drug Delivery system
- Biotechnology and cultivation of medicinal plants
- Validation and cGMP
- Advance in pharmaceutical technology
- Special techniques in drug analysis
- Clinical toxicology and Pharmacotherapeutics
- Cellular and molecular pharmacology
- Pharmaceutical Formulation Design and Development
- Dissertation (seminars and introductions)
- Pharmaceutics Chemistry
- Evaluation and approval of drugs
- Thesis and Viva
Students, who pursue masters in Pharmacy, learn and develop the appropriate knowledge and skills required for the pharmaceutical industry. These skills often help them to become better pharmacists and help them to serve the patients in a better way. Masters in pharmacy is usually for the students who have passed their bachelor of pharmacy degree or B.Sc. in Chemistry or biology degrees. Hence, pursuing a master’s course makes them more organized individuals with a much better living.
- Master of Pharmacy Practice
The Masters of Pharmacy Practice Postgraduate degree program provides an opportunity for the undergraduate students to develop the required skills in all the technical and biological procedures as a modern primary pharmacist.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Study in Pharmacy
The undergraduate and postgraduate degree in Pharmacy aims at providing theoretical and practical knowledge in various fields of Pharmacy such as pharmaceutical, biological, chemical, technological, pharmacological, toxicological and biochemical fields. The main aim of this degree is to educate and teach candidates to be able to understand the processes involving production, marketing, proper use as well as control of the drugs and to provide them with advanced scientific training for making them experts in the field of medicine.
- Master in Pharmacy (by Research)
This program lets the students to research and study in-depth about the demanding areas of pharmacy such as community pharmacy, clinical pharmacy, military pharmacy, specialty pharmacy, pharmacy informatics, etc. The program is generally a two-year program but varies according to the university you choose.
- Master of Pharmacy in Clinical Pharmacy
This program is tailored to fortify students in order to enhance their skills in providing top-notch patient care that promotes the health, wellness and disease prevention as well as boosts the use of medication amongst the patients.
- MSc in Pharmaceutical Analysis
This program is a 1 year Masters Program which offers advanced training in chemical analysis, along with a focus on various applications of the pharmaceutical sector.
- MSc Pharm Pharmaceutical Technology
The MScPharm program is designed to teach pharmacists with the appropriate knowledge and skills that will give them the required expertise in the fields of clinical pharmacy and pharmaceutical technology.
This program is a 2.5 years Masters Program which offers theoretical as well as technical knowledge with the necessary skills tailored for the pharmaceutical sector.
Top Universities and Colleges
- Harvard University, United States
- University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- National University of Singapore, Singapore
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Karolinska Institute, Sweden
- Monash University, Australia
- Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- University of Tokyo, Japan
- University of Melbourne, Australia
- University of Michigan, United States
Latest admission alert
Last date for Application
Link for More Info
University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
June 28, 2019
University of Tokyo, Japan
March 8, 2019
National University of Singapore, Singapore
March 15, 2019
Harvard University, United States
May 9, 2019
Due to the increase in the number of people requiring medical attention, there has been a steady increase in the job opportunities for Pharmacists around the world. The Pharmacists in United States of America tend to receive higher wages than in other parts of the world. The average salary of a pharmacist can be around $107,000 to $118,000 p.a. The second best top paying country to Pharmacists is Switzerland. According to Pay Scale, the majority of Pharmacists have an experience of just 1 to 4 years while only 4% have more than 20 years of experience. The average Pharmacist salary in Switzerland is $83,600. Then there is Canada, with $80,700 average salary on the third spot. Most of the Pharmacists move on to other jobs once they gain more than 20 years of experience. In United Kingdom, the average salary of a pharmacist is $57,000 to $53,300, which is on the fourth spot and then comes Germany, with the average salary of $44,800.
In India majority of pharmacists work in retail pharmacies. They also counsel patients on medication use and other health related problems. This field offers various opportunities as they are located mostly in big cities having world class hospitals. The average pay of pharmacist can go upto 10 lakh and in case of independent pharmacy then turn over can reach up to 50 lakh. The small pharmacies can also earn up to 5 lakh per month. Pharmacists can work in Indian public sectors on the posts of clinical and consultant pharmacists. There is wide range of opportunities available to pharmacists in pharmaceutical industries. They can work in R&D department and can deal with quality assurance, drug information etc. Programs like post graduate fellowship are also available in many pharmaceutical industries with job offers in different departments of the company.