According to Laurie Garret, winner of Pulitzer prize and science journalist, “In an ideal world, public health would mean no epidemics, safe food, and water, well-informed citizens regarding personal health habits, immunized children, clean air and water, and little class-disparity when it comes to disease and life expectancy.”Public Health plays a pivotal role in the development of society. It has been found that life expectancy rate increased over the past thirty years ever since public health has been taken seriously. Despite the presence of health disparities that affects a major part of the population to suffer from diseases, precautions have brought about differences at places improving individual health, communities and the general population.
In recent times, diseases related to the heart and obesity have taken a toll. A lot of changes need to be brought about, and the public needs to be made aware of such diseases and taught measures to prevent it.
What is Public Health?
Public Health is the science and art of preventing diseases, prolonging life and promoting human health through organized efforts for society, individual or a community. Public Health doesn’t only mean that it is the count of physically healthy people in a society or a handful of people, but it is the broad spectrum of taking into account of mental and social health. According to World Health Organization (WHO), it is not merely the absence of disease, but it also covers Epidemiology, biostatics, health economics, environmental health, behavioral health, mental health and occupational health all are relevant to the topic.
Eligibility criteria to pursue Public Health
Students must have a bachelor's degree in any discipline concerning health science from an accredited or recognized university to pursue a degree in public health. They must have an aggregate of at least 60% to be considered for admission.
Types of Degrees in Public Health
Public Health as a stream to study and as a career to pursue will open new opportunities to the students. Various top colleges around the world offer many Bachelor’s and master’s degree in this department such as :
- BPH (Bachelors in Public Health)
- The Bachelor degree in which some of the courses are Environmental Health, Healthcare Delivery, Human Disease, and Public Health.
- MPH (Masters in Public Health)
- The Master’s degree in which some of the courses are the same as the bachelor’s degree, but it focuses on developing knowledge about Public Health.
- DPH (Doctorate in Public Health)
- The Doctoral Degree in Public Health is a degree that prepares the students for academic research in the respective degree.
These are some of the major degrees offered in the department, but there are various minors also that cover Biostatistics degree, Epidemiology degree, Health Informatics degree, Environmental science, Health Policy and Management, maternal and child Health and many more option to choose from.
Top Universities to study Public Health Abroad
Some of the best colleges that offer the best education in Public Health is as follows :
University of Washington
- The University of Washington (School of Public Health), U.S.A, is ranked among the top Universities in terms of education and research. This University offers both a master’s degree and research degree. Over the past decade, the world has seen various problems related to public health. The course aims to provide a full understanding of human and environmental factors.
- The Average is around $27,000, but many scholarship programs are also offered to the students. The Entry Requirements are IELTS, SAT, and TOEFL. The total enrolment of the students per year is around 1,500 from which half of the students belong to Undergraduates and half of them pursue Postgraduate. The Curriculum consists of five departments with interdisciplinary programs in maternal and child health, nutritional sciences and public health genetics. The vision is a world of healthy people in sustainable communities-locally, nationally and globally. The student seeks a degree from this college as the college has 96% job placements in one year which attracts a large number of students from across the world.
University of Toronto
- The University Of Toronto, Canada is one of top college in the country for Quality education to the students. There are various degrees in numerous courses from 700 undergraduate to more than 200 in postgraduate and research programs. The college is well-known to offer master and research degrees in public health and its minors.
- The Average fee is around $49,000, but many scholarship programs are also offered to the students. The Entry requirements are IELTS and TOEFL. The Graduate degree in public health offers four full-time and part-time degrees. It consists of Biostatistics, Epidemiology, social health, and occupational health. Students have the opportunity to learn from and work with talented thought leaders with a multidisciplinary network of teaching and research faculty, alumni and partners. There are almost 43,000 students in Undergraduate and 17,000 in the Postgraduate seeking admission in this college every year. Various Internship programs and information exchange programs develop the student’s knowledge of Public health.
- The Latrobe University, Melbourne, Australia is one of the topmost colleges in the world for providing quality education in various departments and numerous courses. The College offers a Master degree in Public health which offers the students to gain skills in Public health practice.
- The Average fee is around $33,000 and other expenses around $10,000, but many scholarship programs are offered to the students that act as financial aid to the students. The Entry requirements are IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE. The Curriculum is a two years masters program which offers to the students who are interested in expanding their career pathways into senior roles in government and non-government organizations. The students are allowed to pursue the course in either practice or research mode. Various internship and information exchange programs are offered to the students that will build personalities of the students.
University of Berkeley (School of Public Health)
- The University of Berkeley, California, U.S.A. is ranked among top colleges in providing Education in Public Health. The school offers Programs in various courses like Epidemiology, Environmental Health Sciences, and Public Policy.
- The Average Fees is around $20,000, but many scholarship programs are also offered that act as financial aid to the students. It is a subject which requires attention and concentration of the students. To increase the involvement of the students in all the programs the college provides various co-curriculum and activities that not only develop their interest in the subject but also it increases their knowledge regarding the topic. Students in the program will develop and apply knowledge from multiple disciplines for the promotion and protection of Public Health. The college also provides various minors and certificate programs to the students who act as a precursor to further study in the respective department.
Stony Brook University
- The Stony Brook University in New York, the U.S.A. which is Public research University offers various degrees in many courses in Master of Public Health. The curriculum is based on research activities in the field. To ensure that every student acquires acute knowledge about the courses they are needed to complete each basic areas of public health satisfactorily.
- The Average fees for the master degree are around $41,000, but many scholarship programs are also offered to the students who act as financial aid to the students. The cornerstones to the development of analytical and critical thinking skills and an ecological approach to health improvement and disease prevention that will produce public health problem solutions that will increase the human capital which will ultimately result in the good of the society. Various Internship and information exchange programs help the students to develop their knowledge and curiosity about the respective topic.
These are some colleges which are considered as the top colleges by the students across the world. This results in thousands of students applying for admission in these colleges every year from every corner of the world. These colleges are a place which is research-oriented and result in producing institutions, but these colleges always focus on the all-round development of student’s personality. These colleges are a place to experiment with the ideas and to discover new ways and solutions to the problem. The students who pursue Public Health as a career seek that their college degree gives them the opportunity to speak at an international level so that they can give their views on the respective field. Public Health is a critical subject as the students will be dealing with real health issues that affecting the human capital and to find a cure requires a lot of thorough knowledge of the subject.
The career in Public Health opens numerous job options to the students such as :
- Healthcare Execution
- It is also known as Healthcare administration which is responsible for planning and coordinating medical and healthcare services in a healthcare facility.
- Health and Safety Engineer
- A health and safety engineer is responsible for developing the procedures and systems to keep people healthy.
- Public Health Professor
- Public Health professor is a college professor job where they teach the basics of Public health in colleges.
- Public Health Statistician
- A public health statistician uses statistical methods to collect data and analyze them to solve health and healthcare problems.
- Environmental Scientist
- An environmental scientist uses research and applications to protect human capital by developing new ways for the issues related to public health.
These some of the major career which are sought by the students but there are various minors also which the students can pursue To find something better than the current.
The scope of Public Health
The annual wages for those involved in the field of public health is around $48,000 to $124,000. These highly paid jobs attract students from all over the world. The students seek degrees from these colleges as they have placement cell which helps them choose between the offered jobs and to develop them for the interviews which they have to face to get a job. Most of the popular and too universities network with the best public health care companies providing you with greater opportunities and better working experience.
Career Prospects in Public Health
Public Health has been a matter of concern since ages having a long history. Programs and workshops continue to be organized to raise awareness among the public. It also creates some prospects for you to lead a successful career. Some of them may include health informatics specialist, health care administrator, epidemiologist, public health manager, and public and health engineers.