In 1843 the industrial revolution gathered pace and Sheffield was on the verge of becoming the steel, tool and cutlery making capital of the world. The Sheffield School of Design was founded following lobbying by artist Benjamin Haydon. The Board of Trade in London appointed the head while the day-to-day running was controlled by the local council. A 60x40ft room was rented for tuitions which was off Glossop Road. The Sheffield School of Art was the name given to the School of design during renaming in 1850.
In 1905, the City of Sheffield Training College, which was later on renamed as Sheffield City College of Education, and which is on Collegiate Crescent had admitted its first 90 students. The 3rd Northern General Hospital was created after the requisition of the Collegiate Hall by the War Office during the First World War. This was a facility for the Royal Army Medical Corps to treat military casualties. In 1992 Sheffield City Polytechnic became Sheffield Hallam University (SHU), with the right to award its own degrees.
In 1992 Sheffield City Polytechnic came to be known as Sheffield Hallam University (SHU). It also gotv the right to award its own degrees.
In 2005 SHU was reorganized into four faculties. The new Faculty was that of the Development and Society. It laid an emphasis on 'people, places and spaces’, and brought together geography, humanities, education, law, and social sciences. This university not only had the intention of further developing research and teaching in the new Faculty of Health and Wellbeing but they also launched a new Clinical Academic Group. The building that had been constructed and designed to house the National Centre for Popular Music became the university's students' union building (the HUBS) . The Nelson Mandela Building which was the former students' union building as well was sold and has since been demolished.
The teaching of nursing and midwifery from the University of Sheffield was taken over by SHU in 2007. Now these activities are based at the Collegiate Crescent Campus. The activities were transferred to the City Campus, the following year after closing the Psalter Lane campus (formerly the Sheffield College of Art). The £26 million energy-efficient Furnival Building was being opened in September. It was renamed Cantor Building in recognition of a major donor to the university inn 2011. The building that includes teaching spaces and an art gallery has been described as "the impressive new entry point to the campus".