Australia Student Visa Requirements
Australia is one of the emerging hotspots of higher education, gaining popularity especially among the Indian students. With some of the top universities of the world providing quality education, Australia has become a great choice among students aiming to pursue higher studies.
The education system in Australia provides international students with an opportunity to pursue studies from ESL programs to graduate degree programs. The strong vocational education programs in Australia also attract a lot of students who want to acquire and pursue skill-based education.
To study at any of Australian University, a student would require a Student Visa which allows them to study in Australia for up to 5 years.
Student Visa Requirements in Australia
An Australia Student Visa allows the candidate to study in Australia for up to 5 years in an eligible course of study. It also enables students to travel in and out of Australia and work for up to 20 hours a week once their course starts. To apply for a visa there are certain eligibility requirements that need to be fulfilled.
The most important requirement is to be able to demonstrate a temporary stay in Australia for the purpose of the study and that you will return back once your studies are complete (Genuine Temporary Entrant).
- A student needs to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each course of study with the visa application.
- A student needs to show that they have sufficient funds to finance their studies, travel and living cost.
- A student needs to prove their proficiency in the English language by taking up any of the accepted English language proficiency tests.
- Students need to provide proof of health insurance cover and medical records to show that they are healthy to stay and study in Australia.
- To enter Australia, a student would need to provide a character certificate issued by the police.
Australia Student Visa New Rules
With more and more international students pursuing higher education in Australia, the government has laid down some rules and regulations and made changes to the existing rules for the benefit of the students.
The Visa guidelines for Australian Student Visa have changed and a Simplified Student Visa Framework has been introduced from July 1, 2016, onwards.
- As per the guidelines of the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Border protection, international students need to apply for a visa under Subclass 500.
- A visa will only be provided if the student intends to pursue a registered course or a part of a registered course.
- The word limit for an international student of 20-hour per week has been changed to a flexible 40 hours per fortnight. There is no limit on the number of hours to work during recognized school vacations.
- The Student Visa Application charge of AUS $565 has been reduced to AUS $535.
- The living cost requirement for student visa applications has risen from AUS $18,000 per year to AUS $18,610 per year to make the students more prepared financially.
Australia Student Visa Conditions
International students studying in Australia are restricted by certain visa conditions governed by the Department of Home Affairs. Disobeying these rules and conditions may lead to the cancellation of Visa or deportation.
These study visa conditions are attached for the best interest of the student as well as the protection of the rules and laws of the country-
- A student cannot start paid work until the commencement of the term.
- If a student is studying a master's or a doctorate course in Australia, no work limit applies.
- A student should continue to have sufficient financial capacity to support their studies and the cost of living.
- If a student is younger than 18 years of age, they must have accommodation and support by a parent, guardian, or a relative nominated by the parents.
- A student must provide their residential address to the education provider within seven days of their arrival in Australia.
Australia Student Visa Requirements- Documents
You can apply for a student visa after getting acceptance from the university. The visa application process must begin at least 2-3 months before the start of the term to ensure timely admission. Also, a student can enter Australia on a student visa up to 90 days before their course starts. The documents required for a student visa application are-
- Student Visa application form
- Paid Visa application fee receipt
- Valid Passport
- Certificate of Enrolment
- Proof of sufficient funds
- Proof of health insurance cover
- English proficiency test results
- Criminal record check
- Four recent passport size photographs
Australia Student Visa Rejection Reasons
Applying for a visa is a long process that needs to be done with extreme consciousness and carefully. Any mistake in the process can lead to the application being delayed or rejected. As several students apply for a visa, it can be quite difficult to obtain one.
A student should familiarise themselves with the common reasons of rejection to overcome these mistakes and enhance their chances of a successful visa application-
- Authorities may find that a student is not financially stable enough to support his education
- If the candidate doesn’t meet all the requirements of the course applied
- If the authorities find a candidate, a potential immigrant
- If the study program chose does not match the educational background
- If the documents are inadequate or incorrect
- Improperly filled out forms
Australia Student Visa IELTS Band Requirements
To get an Australian Visa, a student, apart from gaining academic excellence, also needs to be efficient in the English language, for which they also need to submit English Language Proficiency Exam Score along with other required documents.
- In Australia, the IELTS score is necessary as proof of English Language Proficiency.
- For undergraduate courses, a minimum score of 5.5 in every four sections with an aggregate score of 6 is required.
- For postgraduate courses, a minimum score of 6 in every four sections with an aggregate score of 6.5 is required.
- The Purpose of IELTS to make sure that the student is fluent in English and is ready to pursue education further in English.