New Zealand Student Visa
If you are planning to study in New Zealand for more than three months, you will require a student visa. A student visa permits you to study full-time in New Zealand but for a limited period of time. A student visa may have conditions that you must meet.
The New Zealand Government is providing opportunities to all Indian students to study in the country but as a prerequisite, they will have to obtain a student visa first. The student visa that you require will depend on the type of degree (certificate, diploma, undergraduate, graduate, etc.) you wish to pursue, and how long you intend to stay in New Zealand.
Types of New Zealand Student Visa
If you are above 18 years and plan to study in New Zealand for more than six months, here is an overview of the types of student visa available for you depending on your course :
- Fee-Paying Student Visa: Study for four years (full-time) and be able to work part-time
- Exchange Student Visa: Study for up to four years (full-time) for an approved student exchange program
- Foreign Government Supported Student Visa: Study for up to four years (full-time) on a scholarship or a foreign government loan
- Pathway Student Visa: Study for 3 consecutive courses for almost 5 years on a single student visa and then be able to work part-time
Cost of New Zealand Study Visa
A student visa will cost 295 NZ$ and additional Rs. 690 (approximately). The INZ at New Delhi, do not accept cash or credit cards therefore you will have to make payments via bank cheque or a draft.
Documents Required for New Zealand Study Visa
- Passport with validity for at least three months even after your period of stay in New Zealand
- The university where you will be studying must write a letter of acceptance which states the duration of your course, the total tuition fee and whether the tuition fee is in domestic or foreign currency. The course must then be approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority
- Academic related documents such as transcripts, degrees, diplomas or certificates
- Completed student visa application form
- Visa application fee
- Tuition fee receipt that shows the payment date
- Passport size photographs
How to Apply for a New Zealand Study Visa?
For the application, you need to apply on the website. Make sure that you do it in advance.
- Check if you match the study visa qualification/eligibility.
- Collect all your documents and keep them ready.
- Go to the New Zealand visa website. Create an account and fill the form as per instructions. Remember, it is required that you download the form, fill it up, make the necessary signatures and then scan it and upload it back again.
- Once the form has been completed and submitted, make sure you pick a date for the appointment. Select the date and submit the form. You will receive notifications for the same, on phone as well as on email. Appear on the day of the appointment, carrying all the documents. There your fingerprints and photograph will be recorded for the visa process to go further.
- Next, pay the visa application fee through a demand draft, in cash or the online mode of payment itself.