Canada is the second most popular destination in terms of studying abroad in the whole
world. The number of students pursuing their masters from Canada is increasing every
Canada provides world-class education along with good living standards and easy work visa
which gives it its high rank in the study abroad destination list. The courses also are
internationally recognized and research-based.
Why Canada for MS?
Canada is the most educated country in the world and more than half of its citizens have
university degrees. The University of Toronto and McGill University are famous all over the
world for giving an extreme start to experts in the fields of Journalism, Politics, Medicine,
and Technology. Canada also offers a large collection of subjects for you to choose from.
You can find a number of Canadian universities in the world’s top 100 college’s list depicting
the quality of education in Canada. Some of the best universities in Canada are as follows-
■ Royal Roads University;
■ University of Winnipeg;
■ Bishop’s University;
■ Wilfrid Laurier University;
■ Thompson Rivers University;
■ University of Regina;
■ Brock University.
The curriculum in Canadian universities is not the one that is purely theoretical.
Their way of teaching is based on research and practical work. Also, they make you
think critically. So if you are one of this type then, Canada is the destination for you
to take your career and learning experience to another level.
The Canadian universities keep in touch with the industries and regularly update
their industry definitions so as to make their students acquainted with the latest
industry trends and help them grab the best placement opportunities.
Canada is a country that is rich in cultural heritage and living there would give you a
lifetime experience which is unmatchable. You can meet people from different
countries and cultures in such a place.
Education System In Canada-
In Canada, the education system is quite similar to that in the USA and a little
inspired from that in Britain. Mostly, there are three types of institutions in Canada.
- Public Universities- These are run by the government may it be provincial,
territorial or federal. They also collect the tution fee from the students.
- Private Universities- They are mostly run at the cost of dob=nations and
research grants. They receive no funding from the government.
- Liberal Arts College- These colleges are either public or private and have a
primary emphasis on courses in liberal arts.
Choice of the Institute-
Before selecting a college in Canada, one must keep the following points in mind.
The points are as follows-
- Facilities in the research field
- Availability of internships and thesis work
- Industry Associations
- Location of college
- Course structure
- Fee structure
Top Universities in Canada-
University Canada Ranking World Ranking
University of Toronto 1 28
McGill University 2 33
University of British Columbia 3 47
University of Alberta 4 109
McMaster University 5 146
Universite de Montreal 6 149
University of Waterloo 7 163
The University of Western Ontario 8 214
University of Calgary 9 229
Queen’s University at Kingston 10 239
Eligibility criteria –
The criteria for all the universities are different and depend on the institute solely. Some of
the common points are as follows-
- Education- Most of the universities in Canada require you to have 16 years of
education or a 4 year Bachelor’s degree. The ones who have completed their
bachelor’s as a 3-year degree are also eligible but not all universities accept that.
This criterion is very basic one and almost all the universities require the same.
- Academic Requirements- On a scale of 4, your CGPA must be at least 3, i.e., 65-
70 % marks or 7 to 7.5 CGPA in Indian standards. However, the top universities
require about 70-78% of marks and the main emphasis is given to the third and
fourth year of your Bachelor’s degree.
- English Language Test- You also need to provide proof of English language
proficiency in terms of score in IELTS or TOEFL examinations. One must have at
least 6.5 or 7 in IELTS and 90+ score in TOEFL.
- GRE/GMAT- Some of the universities also ask for GRE/GMAT score to provide you
admission. You can check the exact eligibility on the universities’ website.
- Work experience- If you want to take admission in a Business school for pursuing
MS in Business Management, MS Finance or MS Business Analytics, you must have
a work experience of about 1-3 years in the required field.
- There are a very few masters programs that accept the 3-year bachelor’s degree and
that too from India. They tend to accept such degrees from the United Kingdom or
- There may be some courses that are taught in French. If you plan to take up such
courses, you must first provide proof of your English language proficiency in the
form of scorecard of Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) or Diplôme d’études en
- They may also require you to apply for a student VISA based on your selection at
- For study permit VISA, the duration of your course must be greater than 6 months.
If it is less than that you only require a tourist VISA.