SOURCE: Neil Patel
Career in Digital marketing is emerging as an attractive and stable career for aspiring students nowadays. Businesses and industries are using the Internet as a powerful tool to grow and increase the reach of their product.
Digital Marketing is a dynamic field that offers a lot of career opportunities where one doesn’t need to be a computer expert to pursue this field.
Due to the increased dependence on technology and the internet, and with the emergence of new technologies and social platforms, Digital marketing can prove to be a promising career for students.
Career in Digital Marketing
The demand for skilled and knowledgeable digital marketing professionals is increasing tremendously these days.
Digital Marketing professionals need to be creative, have great communication skills and open to new possibilities and changes.
It offers a variety of job positions with a high salary scope as you acquire better training and gain more skills.
One can also start a career in digital marketing from scratch, companies don’t always look for an experienced digital marketing professional but someone who is creative and skilled.
Career in Digital Marketing India
Career in Digital marketing in India has experienced exponential growth over the last few years.
With a shift from traditional to online business in India, companies are hiring young professionals to increase the reach of their product/service and emerge as successful.
Following are some of the top job profiles in digital marketing-
|Job Position||Job Profile||Salary|
|Digital Marketing Manager||Work as a leader to a digital marketing team||INR 15-20 lakhs (depends on the company and experience)|
|Content Marketing Manager||Managing blogs, email communication, sales page copywriting, etc.||INR 10-15 lakhs|
|SEO Analyst||Responsible for getting traffic to the website, improve Google search rankings, to make sure the webpage is optimized||INR 2.5- 6 lakhs|
|Web developer||Coding, designing and maintaining websites||INR 3-5 lakhs|
|Social Media Executive||Handling social media accounts to keep up with the trends||INR 4-7 lakhs|
|Search Engine Marketing||Managing page ads||INR 5-8 lakhs|
|Content Writers||Creating trending and optimized content||INR 4-6 lakhs|
|Copywriter||Help search engine marketer in creating better ad copy||INR 3.5-6 lakhs|
How to start a career in Digital Marketing
Companies are becoming aware of the growing need to reach to as many people as they can. They need to improve their online visibility and so there is an increased demand for digital marketing professionals.
A professional can also work from the comforts of their home and serve international clients with their creative abilities.
These are a few points to consider to start a career in digital marketing-
- Keep yourself updated with the latest trends and changes in the market.
- Learn the basics and the various components of digital marketing to have complete knowledge.
- It is better to get specialized training and certificates for various digital marketing courses as it can increase your chances of getting a well-paid and an established career.
- Create your network and get in contact with other professionals.
- Be open to new concepts and techniques to help yourself evolve with the market.
- As it is a career that needs practical knowledge, you can also launch your own website to get a start on things. It will help you gain the necessary skills and learn techniques required to build a strong career.
- Creating your own website/blog can help you reach clients and increase contacts with prospective employers.
- Gaining knowledge of all the components is important. However, it is good to focus on one particular field that interests you the most.
- SEO is an important aspect of digital marketing and this skill should be mastered to build a positive standing.
- Learn how to use various Digital Marketing Tools that will enable you to become an expert in the field.
- Master ad advertising and try to get a job as a freelancer or an internship that will help you gain practical knowledge.
What are the Various Components of Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is a broad concept that includes various technical and practical branches that one can master.
It covers different aspects of online promotion that aim to reach various places. Following are the components of Digital Marketing-
- Search Engine Marketing which includes Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Paid Search Advertising.
- Content Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Native Advertising
- Marketing Automation
- Email Marketing
- Inbound Marketing
- Online PR
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing, also known as Online Marketing, is an evolved form of traditional marketing where businesses use digital mediums to connect with potential customers.
With the increased use of the internet as a communicating medium, the business world is also making use of the platform to increase the reach of their product/service and get noticed among customers.
Digital marketing is evolving as a trend as it helps even small businesses to establish themselves.
Scope of Digital Marketing
Scope of Digital Marketing has increased highly. It is a flexible field where you can explore your interests and connect with international companies.
You can pursue a digital marketing career even if you are a fresher with no experience and work across various fields. Here are some of the top recruiters of digital marketing professionals–
- Small and Large-scale Businesses
- Films and Television
- Social Media platforms
- Content developers
- Start-ups and individual recruiters
- Government agencies
- Advertising agencies
Also Read: Why MBA – All your Questions Answered
Digital Marketing as a Career
Digital marketing is a field that can incorporate people from various backgrounds, techs, creatives and business people.
It is an ever-changing field that allows you to learn something new from time to time and also helps you engage with different kinds of companies and individuals.
The demand for skilled professionals is increasing, companies are hiring individuals that can creatively utilize the internet to attract potential customers. A career in digital marketing also offers well-paid jobs as one grows with experience.
Why Digital Marketing Career
- It covers various components of online promotion that allows you to have a flexibility of career.
- Individuals interested in practical learning with creative minds can learn the various techniques and skills through online and offline learning.
- The training and skills required can prove to be useful in other fields too.
- There are a lot of opportunities and learning options available.
- Digital Marketing professionals also earn good money as their demand is increasing with the changing ways of marketing.
- It allows professionals to be creative and work with flexibility.
- It also allows individuals to train and gain skills as per their capabilities and learning capacity at their own pace.
- Companies nowadays are spending an average of 15% of their marketing budget on digital marketing, creating new jobs regularly.
- With the growing internet traffic, companies are more inclined towards promoting through this platform.
Digital Marketing Career Options
Digital Marketing offers various career options ranging from analytics to social media. The skills required are vast and diverse with a number of job opportunities.
Companies require professionals that are creative, flexible, eager to learn from and communicate with various other specialists in the fields.
They need an analytic mind that can build new marketing strategies and increase their market standing. A digital marketing graduate can pursue one of the following career
- SEO Manager
- Marketing and Automation Specialist
- UX Designer
- Social Media Manager
- Content Writer
- Email Marketer
- Business Analytics Specialist
- Web Designer
What are the Benefits of Pursuing a Career in Digital Marketing?
Working as a digital marketer can prove to be beneficial as it provides opportunities to professionals from all kinds of backgrounds and work experience.
One can gain a lot of practical knowledge and increase their communication network by meeting different people from various fields. Following are some of the advantages of working as a digital marketer:
- It is an ever-evolving industry that keeps you updated with the latest trends and allows you to learn new things.
- Digital Marketing professionals also work with various other specialists in a given agency that provides different insights and new ideas.
- You can start your career without any experience and work as freelancers.
- You can also start your career for free as it is not necessary to get training through a university.
- Digital marketing has a lot of scope and individuals can shift from one career path to another without any difficulty.
- It offers rewarding job prospects as there are a lot of opportunities available for growth and promotion.
- If you keep yourself updated with the latest skills and training, there can be a lot of opportunities available.
- It offers you an opportunity to work with diverse clients with different needs and backgrounds that allow you to be creative and imaginative.
- Digital marketing also brings a lot of flexibility in terms of hours worked as you can even work from your home and deal with clients.
What are the Disadvantages of pursuing a Career in Digital Marketing?
Despite the numerous benefits of pursuing a career in digital marketing, professionals also face some difficulties in this field.
Before deciding on a digital marketing job, one should consider what this field might not offer or fail to provide. Here are some disadvantages of a digital marketing career
- Since it is a relatively new and emerging industry, it does not provide a formal structure of training.
- There are very few formal courses in digital marketing and one might face some difficulty while looking for some professional training.
- Also due to the lack of formal training, there is also a shortage of digital marketing professionals.
- This field does not guarantee success as you have to keep up with the needs of the clients and deliver satisfying work.
- You have to be open to new ideas and learning continually as trends changes regularly.
- You have to keep yourself updated so that you don’t lag behind.
- Since one can start a career in digital marketing on their own and everyone has access to the internet these days, there can be extensive competition.
- Attracting new clients and convincing them with your ideas can be a tough task as companies may not be aware of the new concepts.
- You have to be patient and have enough resources to deliver to the clients what they need.
Ans. As the digital platform is emerging as a new way to do business, companies are using this tool to attract actual/potential customers and establish themselves in the market.
Ans. Digital Marketers need to be creative and have the appropriate skills to develop effective strategies to promote a product/service for the client. They use their skills to exploit the power of the internet to reach across people.
Ans. Anyone who has an analytic and creative mind and is interested in pursuing something new and different can be a part of the digital marketing industry.
Ans. There is no necessary requirement to get professional training as it is a practical field where you grow because of your skills and experience. However, you can get a specialized certification which will increase your chances of getting hired and attracting more clients.
Q5. How can I start a career in digital marketing?
Ans. You can start your own website or a blog to get in touch with prospective clients and convince them of your skills and abilities by gaining practical experience.
Ans. SEO is an important aspect of digital marketing as it is a tool to divert traffic to the website and improve google search rankings for the website. It increases the online standing of the business.
Ans. Yes, with more experience and creative skills this field offers ample opportunities for you to grow and earn more. it will bring you in contact with various professionals and businesses from varying backgrounds that will add to your career growth.