The USA is home to the top global universities. Renowned for its excellence in academics and opportunities, the universities at US pride themselves to be the frontrunner in technology, research, learning and techniques. A favourite destination for international students the US offers an array of courses in its diversified universities like research universities, Liberal Arts College, community college, and vocational schools. Although being an international student, you will aim for research colleges.
Why MS in US
Students choose the USA as a study abroad destination because,
- Quality of life
- Best universities
- Proficient English
- Village of global cultures
- Research opportunity
How to prepare for MS in the US
Applying abroad is a big feat, you need to research a lot and prepare yourself. Preparing to study abroad is not on costly but a decision which requires a lot of thought and awareness.
- Step 1: Choose the right course; take up masters in a field you have a keen interest in.
- Step 2: Choose a location, find where the course is offered.
- Step 3: Find the right university
- Step 4: Take GRE or equivalent exam required for the programme
- Step 5: Give IELTS or TOEFL, whatever is required
- Step 6: Apply at various universities
- Step 7: Other requirements, like make a resume, collect a letter of recommendations, write essays and statement of purpose, etc
- Step 8: Make sure you fill out scholarship forms if seeking one
MS in US Universities
Colleges in the US are recognized for the quality of education and are a daydream of every student. Known for their innovations and diversified programmes, obtaining a master’s degree in the US is no small feat. It’s a large investment and one should keep in mind the following before coming to any decision; Cost of education, University ranking, Scholarship options, Internship opportunities, Placement records, and Location. The following colleges hold the top QS rankings:
|COLLEGES||QS WORLD RANKINGS||US RANKINGS|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge ||1||3|
|Stanford University, California||2||5|
|Harvard University, Cambridge||3||2|
|California Institute of Technology||5||7|
|University of Chicago||10|
|University of Pennsylvania||15||6|
MS In US for Indian Students
The US is a top-hub for international students and more so, Indian students love it for being a developed nation and job creator. The Upper East Side lifestyle and different fields of career available here are very lucrative.
- The number of students applying to colleges abroad, specifically the US has tripled in the last decade.
- Considering living in the US is a bit expensive, students often find part-time jobs to fund themselves.
- US Universities offer scholarships, training and other allied programmes to reduce tuition fee.
MS in US GRE
You will take certain qualifying tests if you intend to do MS, PhD or MBA in the USA. MS applicants should take the GRE examination where students of MBA take the GMAT test. You must take the TOEFL or IELTS test in addition to GRE or GMAT. It’s better to take TOEFL as TOEFL is accepted by most US universities. Articles on the right side of the test preparation panel (GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS) will give you a complete idea of how to study for exams, when to take tests, test enrollment, etc. Typically, test variations to apply to US institutions would be like this: MS, MD, Pharmacy applicants–GRE & TOEFL MBA applicants–GMAT & TOEFL applicants. A good GRE score is anything above 300 and GMAT is 610 onwards.
How to prepare for GRE
- Determine your baseline score, a score you get if you give GRE today.
- Plan to cover the gap by focusing on weak areas.
- Read editorial columns of newspapers for improving vocabulary.
- Take practice tests.
- Do writing preparations.
- Time yourself.
Universities without GRE
- University of Florida
- Boston University
- University of Pittsburgh
- Washington University
- University of Nebraska
- University of Cincinnati
- University of North Texas
- University of Oklahoma
- San Jose State University
- Kansas State University
MS in US fees
If the aims of MS institutes have not been well designed and integrated during the GRE test (4 free universities are allowed), students will be charged $27 (~INR 1,800) to forward the GRE score to each additional MS University. TOEFL thus offers 4 free institutions. The cost in US colleges for submitting one’s TOEFL score to additional MS is $20 (INR 1,300). If you’ve registered for TOEFL iBT, you can take advantage of the TOEFL Value Pack Premium package that gives you the exam content, five extra marks and a $35 (INR 2,300) discount for upcoming registrations. Assuming you send 10 MS applications at $122[$75 + $27 + $20] average application fee. You’re paying about 80,000 INR for applications in total.
With a substantial application package and a few steps required, MS affirmations in the U.S. may have any of the reserves to be undermined in any case, yet the technique ends up being fundamental if it is sought with appropriate organization and understanding of the required parts.
- Test Scores – High scores are required in IELTS and TOEFL as they are language proficiency tests. Other entrance exams students undergo also require certain numbers, like GMAT, GRE, etc. although these scores are valid for the next 5 years.
- Sixteen Years of Education – A requirement in the US to do MS is the education of 16 years, however, considering in India most graduation courses are of 3 years combined with 12 years of schooling only amounts to 15 years. The catch is, US universities accept applications as a whole, so they often overlook a less year if you make up for it in your resume, etc.
- Other requirements – Your application is what you’re presenting to the selectors, which means it has to be top-notch. Universities abroad require the following documents:
- SOP(Statement of Purpose)
- LOR(Letter of Recommendation)
- Articles or Essays
- Good Resumes/CVs
- Scholarship Transcripts
Scholarship and loans for MS in US
The application process for the bulk of U.S. colleges will begin in October. Therefore, the process of credit appraisal, the authorization of loans and the issuance of solvency letters that indicate’ evidence of funds’ to universities should always be begun before this time. Loan disbursements may be rendered upon receipt of approval of enrollment and i20 from the university. The appraisal of the loan can be carried out before the admission has been verified. As the whole process is time-consuming, one should always start early with each exercise in order to avoid the last-minute rush.
- HDFC Bank Education Loan for Foreign Education.
- SBI Student Loan Scheme.
- SBI Global ED-VANTAGE Scheme.
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Education Loan for Study in India and Abroad.
- Bank of Baroda Scholar Loan.
- Tata Scholarship at Cornell University
- S.N. Bose Scholars Student Exchange Program
- Asian Development Bank/Government of Japan Scholarship Program
- Fullbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships
- Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowships
Placements after MS in the US
Obviously, education is the reigning king in the U.S., after an MS, but STEM fields and computer science manage a pretty dramatic takeover once a doctorate degree with average salaries of about $100,000 compared to a tiny transfer to $75,000 for business doctorates.
At the end of the day, advanced degrees carry some decent returns, in most situations. But there’s still a lot of research you need to do before you determine your area, your degree, which country and certainly which university to get it from.
|Job Description||Average Salary (Starting)|
|Mathematics and Sciences||$67,891|
Salary for MS in US in India comparison
|Microsoft Corp. (USA) – $112K||Accenture (India) – INR 450K ($6.2K)|
|Google Inc. (USA) – $113K||Capgemini (India) – INR 450K ($6.2K)|
|Amazon.com Inc. (USA) – $107K||Infosys Limited (India) – INR 400K ($5.5K)|
|Cisco Systems Inc. (USA) – $102K||Cisco Systems Inc. (India) – INR 1200K ($16.6K)|
Resume for MS in the US
- Decide on the areas/skills in your profile that your resume should be highlighted. Okay, e.g. If you are interested in research/application for PhD, etc., your focus should be on your research projects and publications. Likewise, if you qualify for a form of MCS program (engineered to secure corporate jobs after graduation), the emphasis should be on professional skills, industry experience, etc.
- Do not include an objective section or a reference section. And you’re not supposed to mention your gender or marital status.
- Using sentences instead of full sentences and speaking in the first person. Never use your passive voice.
- Last but not least–Your resume should not exceed 1.5 pages in length.
- Sample Resume
All universities have their official websites which list their application processes.
Entirely depending upon the fields courses cost on an average of 30 lakhs p.a.
Although the duration varies with respect to courses, Masters take approximately 1.5-2 years.
Apart from your application which consists of your Resume, SoP, LoR, Scholarship Transcripts, etc. one requires a passport, F1 Visa, CPT/OPT/H1B Work permits, and you can claim green card and US Citizenship depending upon your stay.