Aeronautical engineering is one of a branch of engineering. Aeronautical engineering deals with aircraft and its mechanism. It involves the designing, construction, testing, research, and development of an aircraft. It involves the research of aerodynamics characteristics of an aircraft such as the airfoil, control surfaces, lift, and drag.
The primary job of an aeronautical engineer is to devise aircraft and propulsion systems. Aeronautical engineering has turned to be one of the major overlapping branches of aerospace engineering. Aeronautical engineering is considered to be tough due to its vast syllabus. Aeronautical engineering is available in Under Graduate and Post Graduate level. It is also available in Diploma and Ph.D. levels.
Eligibility criteria for Aeronautical engineering
These are the eligibility criteria for getting admission in Aeronautical engineering –
- The basic eligibility criteria are to score 70-75 percent in Senior Secondary examination for admission in the Under Graduate level. The subjects considered for selection are Physics, Chemistry, and Maths.
- Admission for Under Graduate course in aeronautical engineering is based on JEE and JEE Advanced score in all over India.
- Admission for Post Graduate and Doctoral courses is only for those candidates who hold a Bachelor’s Degree in aeronautical engineering.
- If any candidate holds a degree in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, then they can acquire a degree by clearing the exams of the Aeronautical Society of India.
- The GATE score is preferred for a Master’s degree in institutions like IITs, IISC, or Science Research Institutions.
There are few skillsets which are important to an aeronautical engineer –
- Normal color vision
- Strong analytical ability
- Manual, technical and mechanical aptitude
- Physical fitness
- Good height
Fees for Aeronautical engineering –
The average fee of an Under Graduate program in aeronautical engineering is around Rs1 lakh per annum. The average fees of a Post Graduate program in aeronautical engineering costs around Rs2 lakh per annum. The diploma course is relatively cheaper as it ranges around Rs60,000 –Rs1,00,000 annually.
Jobs for Aeronautical engineer
Aeronautical engineering jobs are related to the creation and maintenance of aircraft. Some of the jobs under aeronautical engineering are –
Aeronautical engineers – They are mainly trained to design aircraft. Their job includes designing propulsion systems, analyzing the aerodynamic performance and construction of an aircraft.
The job area is divided into various job profiles are –
- Aeronautical Mechanical Engineer – They are responsible for the maintenance of aircraft engines. The service and overhaul engines and airframes.
- Aeronautical Electronic Engineer – They do the maintenance of electronic equipment like radar, navigation, radio, etc..
- Flight Engineers – They are responsible for the smooth functioning of aircraft. They need to inspect the aircraft before the flight, keep track of system failures, and repair them accordingly. They are sometimes needed for refueling the aircraft too. The responsibilities also include to maintain and keep a record of the maintenance work, difficulties faced by aircraft during take-off and landing, and repair it accordingly.
Aeronautical engineers are recruited in the aviation industry by both government and private companies. Some of the top recruiters are –
- Civil Aviation Department
- Air India
- Helicopter Corporation of India
- National Aeronautical Lab (NAL)
- Indian Air Force
- Aeronautical Development Establishment
- Defense Research and Development Laboratories
- Hindustan Aeronautical Limited
- Pawan Hans
- Private Airlines (Indigo, GO Airways, Vistara, etc.)