IMU also is known as Indian maritime university has its headquarters in Chennai. Indian shipping had to perish so that British shipping might flourish- Mahatma Gandhi is the legacy of the university. India is traditionally a maritime nation and has a rich history of trade through waterways. Therefore, to utilize the coastlines properly and to contribute best towards our nation the university was set up to provide quality education.
The impact of technological developments is very high in the maritime industry and in recent years, it has increased many folds. The university is also planning to collaborate with other leading universities and institutions across the world. The vision of IMU is to provide quality education and training, to take its research to international standards, and to support the government. The programs offered in the university will make the individuals excel in the area of their respective duties.
IMU is in the category of the professional university which is intended to fulfill the requirements of the maritime sector. There are also different authorities of the university which are placed to achieve the various objectives of IMU such as the court, the executive council, the academic council, planning board, boards of school, the board of affiliation and recognition etc. the up-gradation of courses, changes in syllabus, virtual classes, distance learning has changed a lot in then initial working of the university.
- The university was set up to facilitate and promote maritime studies, training, and research.
- It was set up to take appropriate measures for promoting measures in the teaching-learning process.
- The university seeks to promote freedom, secularism, and equality as mentioned in the constitution of India.
- The university aims to provide the best research facilities to its students in the field of oceanography and marine studies.
- The university wishes to develop the skills of individuals by associating them closely with local, regional, and national issues of development.
- Focus on the extension work and focus on the emerging fields such as maritime security, transportation of dangerous cargo, search and rescue and provide employment opportunities.
Indian maritime university common entrance test is an examination conducted by the Indian maritime university for admission in undergraduate courses, post graduate and research programs. 14th November is also celebrated as “IMU DAY” every year. The institution was set up to encourage and promote young people who want to pursue their career in the field of marine technology and allied fields.
Apart from Chennai, the other campuses are located in Cochin, Mumbai, Kolkata, Vishakhapatnam, and Navi Mumbai. The governance of the university is similar to other universities and is in accordance with the university grants commission. The university has also given special and prime focus to advance research and wants to do more in this field.
- The exam is conducted for very year.
- The courses offered in UG are B.TECH in marine engineering, naval architecture, and ocean engineering, BSC in nautical science, maritime science, shipbuilding and repair, and a diploma in nautical science.
- PG programs include an MBA in port and shipping management and international transport and logistics management. M.TECH in naval architecture and ocean engineering, dredging and harbour engineering, marine engineering and management etc.
- IMU is now member of the international association of maritime universities.
- The campuses of IMU are in Cochin, Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Chennai, and Vishakhapatnam.
IMU CET 2020
The IMU CET application forms for 2020 were going to be released in April 2020. The last date to submit the application form is 2nd week of may 2020. Admit cards will be released in 3rd week of May and the IMU CET 2020 exam is scheduled to be conducted in first week of June. But due to the spread of corona virus it is yet to be confirmed and the dates might change.
IMU CET Results
Due to the ongoing crisis due to corona virus, all the information regarding official announcement related of exams and results are delayed. However information for tentative dates are provided in this article, for regular updates, and information, follow and check the official website.
How to check result-
- Step 1- visit the official website
- Step 2- open and click on the link for results
- Step 3- enter the details required to check the result
- Step 4- download the result and take a print out if needed for future reference.
IMU CET Results 2020
The results for the MBA program have been released already, the level of IMU CET is not tough but a lot of students participate in it which makes it very difficult for students to secure a good rank and enter into the counseling process. Also, a god rank is very important to get admission in colleges with good placement record with ample of job opportunities in the future.
How to check result 2020-
- Step 1- visit the official website
- Step 2- open and click on the link for results
- Step 3- enter the details required to check the result
- Step 4- download the result and take a print out if needed for future reference
IMU CET Syllabus
The Indian maritime university common entrance test consists of six sections- English, general aptitude and general knowledge along with physics, chemistry and mathematics. The candidates must strictly adhere to the syllabus and must follow the previous trends and patterns of question papers to get an idea of the important topics.
- English– parts of speech, meaning of words/phrases, synonyms and antonyms, phrasal verbs, tenses, idioms, and reading comprehension.
- General aptitude– data sufficiency, syllogism, data interpretation, boat and streams, numerical computation and numerical estimation, the odd man out, time and work, calendar and clock, height and distance, time and distance, analytical reasoning, logical and abstract reasoning, ratio and proportion, numerical and mechanical reasoning.
- General knowledge– this section includes basic general knowledge along with current affairs. Basic general knowledge consists if history, geography, countries, and their capitals along with currencies of the world, inventions, and discoveries. While the current affairs include sports, finance, economy, business politics awards, and science and technology.
- Chemistry– the chemistry portion includes the syllabus of class 11thand 12th. The topics include- atomic structure, block, mole concept, thermodynamics, surface chemistry, organic chemistry, solutions, chemical energetics, equilibrium, etc
- Physics– units and measurements, laws of motion, work energy and power, gravitation, waves and oscillations, solid and fluids, rotational motion, magnetic effect of current, electrostatic, electromagnetic induction, ray optics, wave optics, heat and thermodynamics, electrons and photons, thermal and chemical effect of current.
- Mathematics– sets, relations and function, complex numbers, matrix and determinants, quadratic equation, binomial theorem, sequence and series, differential equation, integral calculus, probability, vector algebra, statistics, dynamics, two-dimensional geometry.
IMU CET Exam
There are a total of six sections asked in the exams. The candidates must refer to the exam pattern to get an idea of the question paper and questions asked in the exam this will also aid in preparation for the exam. 25 questions are asked for the sections of English, general knowledge, general aptitude, and chemistry. 50 questions each are asked in the sections of physics and mathematics.
- There are a total of two hundred (200) questions
- The questions are of objective type
- There are no criteria of negative marking
- The total duration of the exam is three hours
- The question paper will be in English medium only; no other languages will be available for choice or preference.
IMU CET 2020 Application Form
IMU CET 2020 application form is to be tentatively released in the first week of April. Candidates who wish to apply for the same must fill the application form online. The candidates need to pay the application fees online. The candidates must also keep the documents handy which is required during the filling of application forms such as scanned photographs and signature, class 10th and 12th mark sheet and other certificates like caste certificate, if applicable
How to fill application form-
- Step 1- visit the official website of Indian maritime university (www.IMU.edu.in)
- Step 2- go to the registration link and fill in all the necessary details such as name, date of birth, gender, nationality etc
- Step 3- fill in the correspondence address and permanent address along with the pin code
- Step 4- fill in your education details and select the examination centre as per convenience
- Step 5- upload the photo signature and other documents
- Step 6- pay the application fees using any online mode of payment such as credit card/debit card/net banking etc
- Step 7- check the details filled once again and then click on the final submit button to submit the application form
(NOTE- The application fees paid online are non-refundable in nature. It is Rs. 1000/- for general and OBC category and Rs. 700/- for SC and ST category.)
IMU CET Exam Date 2020
The IMU CET exam for the year 2020 is likely to be conducted in June for admission in PG and UG courses. The exam is based in online mode, that is it will be a computer-based test, the questions will be of multiple choices having four options each and the student has to select the correct answer. There is no negative marking and each correct answer will be given one mark each. There will be a total of 200 questions for the undergraduate exam and a total of 120 questions for the postgraduate exam.
|Release of application form||April 2020|
|Last date to submit application form||May 2020|
|Release of admit card||May last week|
|Exam 2020||June 2020|
|Result announcement||June 2nd week|
|Counselling process start||June 2nd week|
|Certificate verification||Last week of july|
IMU CET Admit Card
The admit card for IMU CET will be available through online mode. The admit card will contain all the necessary details of candidates such as name, date of birth, roll number, exam center, photograph, and signature. The university will also notify when the admit card is released through the mail, therefore the candidate must check the registered mail id regularly. The candidates should carefully read all the instructions present on the admit card and must also check the admit card thoroughly and in case of any mistakes must notify the officials immediately.
How to download the admit card-
- Step 1- visit the official website of the university (www.IMU.edu.in)
- Step 2- open the candidate login window to open the link for the admit card.
- Step 3- fill the necessary details to login to view the admit card
- Step 4- check all the details of the admit card and download the admit card.
- Step 5- take a print out of the admit card and keep it safely.
The counseling process is started after the declaration of results, online counseling is done only for IMU and its other campuses and not for the affiliated colleges. The candidates also need to pay a counseling fee of Rs 10,000/-. The counseling for MBA has already started from 20 January 2020.
- IMU University was established in the year 2008, under the Indian maritime university act.
- Also, Marine engineering is a good career option with a lot of job opportunities.
- You can get a job in naval services or you can also look for a future abroad.
- A lot of construction companies and engine design firms hire youngsters from the field of marine engineering.
- The total intake of IMU campuses is 966.
IMU CET Counselling Procedure
There are also criteria of reservation for the candidates- SC 15%, ST 7.5%, and OBC non-creamy layer 27%, general EWS 10%. There is also reservation in undergraduate courses at the different IMU campuses such as Andaman and Nicobar-20 seats, Lakshadweep and Minicoy island- 10 seats, 8 northeastern states- 40 seats, and Jammu and Kashmir- 10 seats.
- The counseling is carried on in two phases- the candidates who clear the online exam are called for online counseling
- Candidates have to register online through a portal and select the program and campus they wish to apply for.
- The candidates have to make a payment of Rs. 10,000/- as counseling charges through any online mode of payment.
- The seats will be now allotted to the candidates on the basis of their marks and ranks
- Once, the seat is allotted the candidates have to pay Rs. 25,000/- to confirm their seat and the candidates can choose as many options as they want to increase the chances of their admission.
IMU Affiliated Colleges
Apart from the 5 IMU campuses, there are other 21 colleges that are affiliated to IMU and their intake is approximately 2300. IMU Mumbai campus is considered best for MBA followed by the Chennai campus according to the rankings. Both girls and boys can take admission in IMU. However, the number of girl participants are very less as compared to the boys.
- Hindustan Institute of maritime training, Chennai
- Tolani maritime institute, Mumbai
- College of ship technology, Palakkad
- Coimbatore marine college, Coimbatore
- Euro tech maritime academy, cochin
- International maritime institute Noida
- Park maritime academy, Coimbatore
- RL institute of marine science, Madurai
- Samudra institute of maritime studies, Pune
- Anglo eastern maritime academy, Mumbai
- Applied research international, new Delhi
- Dr. Ambedkar institute of technology, Andaman and Nicobar island
- Great eastern institute of maritime studies
- Maritime training institute Mumbai
- Maritime training institute, Tuticorin
- Shriram institute of maritime studies new Delhi
- Training of ship Rahman, Mumbai
- Southern Academy of maritime studies, Chennai
- Yak education trust
- Vishwakarma marine institute Pune
IMU CET Eligibility
The candidates must check the eligibility criteria before filling up the application form. The eligibility criteria are different for different courses both undergraduate and postgraduate.
For BSC (nautical science)
The candidate must have physics, chemistry and mathematics along with English in the 11th and 12th standards. He/she should have passed with minIMUm 60% in PCM and 50% in English.
The candidate must have physics, chemistry and mathematics along with English in the 11th and 12th standards. He/she should have passed with minimum of 60% in PCM and 50% in English.
there is 5% relaxation in the eligibility of marks but there is no relaxation in the English subject.
For the M.TECH program
the candidate must hold a BE or B.TECH degree from a recognized university and must have scored 60% marks in the bachelor’s degree.
AGE CRITERIA– the applying students must be 17 years of age and maxIMUm 25 years of age as on July 2020. ST/SC candidates have 5% relaxation in the age criteria
The applying candidates must be physically fit and should meet all the physical requirements as per the guidelines. She/ he should have a clear vision which is a really important criterion.
IMU contact number
Note – people calling outside from Tamil Nadu state have to dial prefix (044- )
Indian maritime university
East coast road, semmencherry
Students’ admission related queries can be mailed at [email protected] and for distance learning program related queries [email protected] and for end semester examination related queries [email protected]
Yes, IMU is a central government college and was established on 14th November 2008.
There are 966 seats in total in the 5 IMU campuses and approximately 2300 seats in the affiliated colleges
As of now, no official information is there, but due to the spread of COVOID -19, it stands postponed till further notice from the authorities.
Yes, 12th appearing students can apply for IMU CET, however, the candidates must check the eligibility criteria before filling up the application form.
IMU CET is a common entrance examination conducted to get admission in courses offered by the Indian maritime university. The candidates if selected can get admission to colleges affiliated to IMU and the other IMU campuses located all over India.