The University of Lethbridge was established in the year 1967 in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. It is a public research university with more than 8,700 students and 496 staff. The total area of the campus is around 185 ha or 460 acres. The university has its second campus located in Calgary, Alberta. The current chancellor and president of the Lethbridge University are Charles Weaselhead and Dr. Michael J. Mahen. The University is affiliated by AUCC, IAU, ACU, U Sports, CWUAA and CUP. The university has secured rank five among the UG Universities in Canada in Maclean’s 2020 University rankings. The academics, faculties and schools, and also the fee structure of the university will be discussed in this article.
The University of Lethbridge provides both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. The University provides almost 150 degree programs. Lethbridge University focuses primarily on researches as it has been called the Research University of the Year in 2012. The University has about 60 research chairs, 2 Order of Canadian recipients and also 8 Fellows of the Royal Society of Canada. The University of Lethbridge has around 15 research institutes and 7 faculties and schools which will be discussed below.
Research institutes of Lethbridge University
- Alberta Terrestrial Imaging Centre (ATIC)
- Alberta Gambling Research Institute (AGRI)
- Alberta RNA Research and Training Institute (ARRTI)
- Canadian Cantre for Behavioural Neuroscience (CCBN)
- Centre for Culture and Community (CCC)
- Centre for Research in Advanced Fluorine Technologies (C-CRAFT)
- Centre for the Study of Scholarly Communication (CSSC)
- Centre for Oral History and Tradition (COHT)
- Centre for Socially Responsible Marketing (CSRM)
- Health Services Quality Insitute (HSQI)
- Institute for Child and Youth Studies (I-CYS)
- Institute for Space Imaging Science (ISIS)
- Prentice Institute for Global Population and Economy, Small Business Institue (SBI)
- Water Institute for Sustainable Environments (WISE).
Faculties and Schools
- Faculty of Arts and Science
- Faculty of Fine Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Dhillon School of Business
- School of Graduate Studies
- School of Liberal Education.
The 9 pre-professional programs provided by the Faculty of Arts and Science are Dentistry, journalism, law, medicine, nutrition and food sciences, optometry, social work, and veterinary medicine and also an engineering transfer program. The Agility program in Innovation and Entrepreneurship started at the University of Lethbridge in the year 2015.
The documents for getting admitted into the University include a Letter of Recommendation, Curriculum vitae, and other additional documents. The courses offered, eligible scores of the respective exams and also the 1st year fee of the courses will be discussed below.
|Course||Duration||Exams with eligible score||1st Year Tuition fee|
|MSc Management||2 years||GMAT: 550GRE: 310||INR 14.2 Lakh|
|MSc Marketing||2 years||GMAT: 550GRE: 310||INR 8.1 Lakh|
|MSc Computer Science||2 years||IELTS: 6.5TOEFL: 86||INR 8.1 Lakh|
|BSc Computer Science||4 years||IELTS: 6TOEFL: 80||INR 10.4 Lakh|
|MSc Biochemistry||2 years||IELTS: 6.5TOEFL: 86||INR 8.1 Lakh|
|Bachelor of Management in Marketing||4 years||IELTS: 6TOEFL: 80||INR 9.5 Lakh|
|Bachelor of Nursing||4 years||IELTS: 6TOEFL: 80||INR 8.7 Lakh|
|Dentistry||1 year||IELTS: 6TOEFL: 80||INR 8.9 Lakh|
|MSc Computer Science and Geographical Information Science||2 years||IELTS: 6TOEFL: 80||INR 8.1 Lakh|
|Certificate in Marketing||1 year||IELTS: 6TOEFL: 80||INR 10.4 Lakh|
Some of the notable alumni of the University of Lethbridge are:
- Taylor Kitsch (Actor & Model)
- Austin Mardon (Famous author)
- Rachael Harder (Politician)
- Hans Boersma (Theologian)
- Scott Cyr (Canadian politician)
- Indira Naidoo Harris (Former politician)
- Wendy Sloboda (Renowned fossil discoverer)
- Winston Day Chief (Ice Hockey player)
- Andrew N Iwaniuk (Canadian biologist)
- Jim Antoine (Former politician)
- Madeleine Dion Stout (Award-winning author)
- Len Mitzel (Former Canadian politician)
- Andrew Scott (Musician & songwriter)
- Gavin Williams (Well-known actor & writer)
- David Hoffos (Contemporary artist)
- Rajko Dodic (Politician)
- Theo Tams (Well-known singer).