Liberal art is a part of the education necessary to function as an individual in society. It enables us to explore the issues and methods across humanities and sciences, which helps us in broadening our thinking capabilities. These skills cultivate in us, the tools necessary to navigate through the complex issues. Liberal arts helps in developing the much sought after soft skills that are very important for us.
History of Liberal Arts
Liberal Arts have studied for centuries ago. The topics covered under liberal arts are that the modern world is not exactly what it used to be.
- Liberal arts is also known as seven liberal arts because it included seven different types of skills.
- The education was important for free people to be able to have a civic life.
- Out of the 7, 3 were the core liberal arts known as the trivium. The three were grammar, logic, and rhetoric.
- The rest 4 were the next stage of liberal arts education and were known as the quadrivium. The quadrivium included geometry, astronomy, arithmetic, and music.
What is Liberal Arts now?
Different disciplines of study describe the liberal arts in the modern world. Now it is majorly made up of 4 areas of study.
- Natural Sciences
- Social Sciences
Courses in Liberal Arts
Liberal arts encompasses a wide variety of subjects that provide important skills. Students can have a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, Ph.D., or chose these subjects as majors and minors. Some of the popular subjects covered under liberal arts are,
- Computer Science
Benefits of a degree in Liberal Arts
All should study liberal arts as it provides us with very necessary skills that will help us in all walks of life. Some of the benefits of liberal arts are mentioned below.
- It helps in gaining interpersonal skills, which helps in interacting with others in both business as well as casual settings.
- Throughout the study, it teaches us to learn how to think in a situation. It teaches us critical and innovative thinking skills.
- It helps in getting well-rounded education as it trains students in many different skills rather than one specific job.
- It educates on so many different topics that one can approach different career options.
- The education in liberal arts provides with soft skills which are very important for getting employed.
Career in Liberal Arts
As it has been established, a degree in liberal arts teaches us many things. This makes it easy to approach different kinds of careers. Some of the common career choices are,
- Graduate studies in business, mathematics etcetera
Best Liberal Arts Colleges in India
India has many different options when it comes to providing education in liberal arts.
Some of the popular colleges in India that provide degrees in liberal arts are mentioned below.
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
- Christ University, Bangalore
- St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
- Symbiosis School of Liberal Arts
- Ashoka University
- Flame University