Kinesiology is the study of human movements. The word comes from the Greek word ‘kinesis’ which means ‘Movement’. It is a holistic health discipline which figures out a person’s overall health by monitoring their muscle. It was originated in the 1970s, however, it has its roots in the early 1800s. Kinesiology is a scientific study about the muscle movement of a human body. Kinesiology addresses the physiological, biomechanical, and psychological dynamics principle mechanism and dynamics of movement.
The kinesiology is one of the fastest-growing streams and is now practiced in various countries. It is a combination of eastern science and western muscle monitoring, balances the body at various levels. It could lead to profound changes in the overall health of the individual. Kinesiology is very popular these days.
Biomechanics, psychology, and physiology are different areas of focus of kinesiology. In it, both human and non-human movements are studied. Many different types of exercise interventions can be applied in kinesiology to athletic, normal, and clinical populations. Kinesiologist is not a professional designation, however, kinesiologists work in a variety of roles as health professionals.
“Kinesiology is the study of the principles of mechanics and anatomy about human movement.”
The term was coined in 1854 by Carl Georgii, the Swedish medical gymnast and kinesiologist. It is a literal translation of the Greek word “kinesis” which means “movement”. It applies recovery therapy to achieve healing. It is a non-invasive holistic energy therapy. It is based upon the foundation that any problem arising within the energy system will be reflected in the body.
Kinesiology and biomechanics
Biomechanics is the one aspect of kinesiology which is a wider term. Kinesiology is a comprehensive science whereas biomechanics is focused on types of movement, form, technique required to perform an exercise.
Researchers in kinesiology and biomechanics are interested in how people move, with a particular focus on adverse, challenging, and unique conditions. Within the field, the specific focus is on mechanical movement.
Kinesiology is the term referring to the scholarly area of human movement study, while biomechanics is the study of motion and its causes in living beings.
Importance of kinesiology
All the movements of animals and human beings are studied in the field of science. It helps us to understand the impact of muscles on our health. The study of kinesiology is very important because it is very popular these days, people are interested in the muscle movement of their bodies. This is a hot topic in various countries.
The kinesiology study is important because
- It helps in detecting various imbalances of the body
- It helps in maintaining the mental and emotional balance of a person
- It helps to identify the food sensitivities of the body
- The various learning disabilities of a child can easily be cured with the help of the study of kinesiology.
- Overstress and anxiety can be cured with the help of kinesiology.
- Kinesiology also cures clumsiness in children.
Kinesiology is hence very important in our lives. Apart from these, there are many other uses of kinesiology which is why it is famous among humans these days.
What is a kinesiology tape?
Kinesiology tape is a therapeutic tool and is popularly used in sports. It is made of cotton and nylon. It allows a full range of motion. It is used to relieve and support muscle pain. It reduces swelling and increases mobility. Hence, is a very effective tool. There are various brands offering kinesiology tape nowadays.
The kinesiology tape is used for:
- Treating injuries
- Provides extra support to muscles and joints that need it.
- Re-training muscles that have lost function.
- Enhancing performance
- Managing scars
How to use kinesiology tape?
Follow the given steps:
- Apply a test strip
- Remove excess hair from the skin
- Clean the skin before taping
- Bend all joints before applying tape
- Apply the tape one hour before athletic activity
- Tape the area as instructed by your physiotherapist
- Prevent from rubbing the tap
There are other benefits of kinesiology tape besides pain relief and reduction in inflammation.
- It is used to support injured muscles and joints without restricting the full range of motion in individuals with neurological disorders.
- It helps in faster muscle recovery, prevents cramps, prevents over stretching, etc,
- Increase blood circulation
- Support the endogeneous system
Kinesiology, biomechanics, and sports
Kinesiology is the study of human movements. The word comes from the Greek word ‘kinesis’ which means ‘Movement’.
Biomechanics is the branch of science which deals with the forces related to body movements.
Kinesiology courses are offered through various education programs at bachelor’s and masters’ degree levels. At the bachelor level, the area of focus is fitness, dance, and health science whereas at the master’s level the focus area is research, methodology, and teaching.
- Foundations of kinesiology
- Kinesiology activity
- Movement in children
- Physiology of exercise
- Coordination and control
- Movement disorders
Canada is offering a degree in kinesiology both master as well as bachelor’s. Various universities are offering these education programs. Here are listed few of the universities along with courses offered:
- University of Toronto ( Exercise Science)
- Universite Laval (kinesiology- Doctorate)
- University of British Columbia ( kinesiology – Doctorate)
- McMaster University (kinesiology)
- Queen’s University ( kinesiology and health studies)
- University of Ottawa ( Sports studies)
On average, a kinesiologist earns $23.16 per hour in Canada. This salary estimate is based on 230 anonymous kinesiologist’s salaries.
If you are interested in getting a bachelor’s degree in kinesiology than you should eliminate all the second thoughts because it is a promising career. You can become a personal trainer, fitness consultant, wellness coordination, physical education teacher, etc. It is an excellent option for students interested in sports and overall wellness.
The bachelor’s degree provides a multidisciplinary approach to the study of human movements. Most of the bachelor’s in kinesiology degree takes around 4 years of full-time study.
The scope of kinesiology is wide as it offers multiple career options to the aspirants.
You can become a:
- Wellness trainer
- Physical education teacher
- Health club director
- Fitness consultant
Kinesiology includes the following fields of study:
Kinesiologists work with people of all ages and physical abilities, and in many settings to help them achieve their health and wellness goals. Kinesiologists work with:
- Seniors and the elderly
- Pre- and post-natal clients
- Military personnel
- Anyone with or without pathologies and symptoms