Established in 1831 as the Higher Trade School in Bornemannsches Haus, Leibniz University Hannover had only 64 students at the time of inception. The university has a rich academic history of over 189 years. It was named Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Universität Hannover after the name of famous mathematician Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz in the year 2006. Leibniz University Hannover was announced as the official English name of the university in the year 2018.
The university has managed to deliver high-quality education to Germany and the world through its various academic programs. It received the status equivalent to university in 1899 when it was known as the College of Technology. Along with that, King Wilhelm II authorized the college to grant a doctorate. It is a public university and is funded by the government of Germany. The mission of the university is reflected through its motto, “Shaping the future with knowledge.”
Leibniz University Hannover Ranking
Leibniz University Hannover has been consistent in improving its education quality since its inception. It has always tried to maintain the honorable standard in education and research.
The university has been assessed by several prestigious organizations like QS University Rankings and Times World University Rankings. The university’s several courses, which these organizations assessed on several criteria, managed to retain a reputed rank in Germany and the world.
- It was ranked number 7 by a panel of top managers in Germany
- Its Material Sciences Programme has been ranked 201-250 by QS World University Rankings 2020
- Its Natural Sciences Programme has been ranked 262 by QS World University Rankings By Subject Rankings 2020
- The University’s Economics and Econometrics Programme has been ranked 451-500 by QS World University Rankings which is relatively lower than its previous year ranking
Leibniz University Hannover World Ranking
Although the university has maintained its position when compared subject wise with other universities, its overall ranking is not disappointing. The university has been assessed for its education, infrastructure, students to teacher ratio, industry relation, placement record, and many other criteria for the overall world ranking.
Times World University Rankings and QS World University Rankings are assessing Leibniz University Hannover for several years.
- In QS World University Rankings 2021, it was ranked 651-700
- In QS World University Rankings 2020, it was ranked 651-700
- In Times World University Rankings 2020, it was ranked 401-500
- In Academy Ranking of World Universities 2020, its Mathematics program was ranked 301-350
- In Center for World University Rankings 2019, it was ranked 493
- In QS World University Rankings 2019, it was ranked 551
- In Times World University Rankings 2019, it was ranked 401-500
Leibniz University Hannover Master Programs
Leibniz University Hannover offers master’s degree programs as part of its academic curriculum. It offers almost 100 master’s degree programs in various fields like arts, education, science, etc.
The master’s degree varied greatly in specialization like Architecture, Art, History, Biochemistry, Biology, Catholic Religious Education, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, etc. Various master’s courses offered at the university are listed below.
- Master of Arts in Advanced Anglophone Studies / Atlantic Studies in History, Culture and Society / Economic Geography / Educational Studies / German and English Linguistics / History / Industrial Science, part-time / Modern German Literature / Philosophy of Science / Political Science / Science and Society / Sociology / Special Needs Education and Rehabilitation Sciences
- Master of Education in Art / Catholic Religious Education / German Studies / History / Mathematics / Music / Protestant Theology and Religious Studies / Social Studies and Sciences / Sports as subject in the Master’s degree programme in Special Needs Education for Schools OR Biology / Catholic Religious Education / Chemistry / English Studies / Geography / German Studies / History / Master’s Teacher Training / Mathematics / Music / Performing Arts / Philosophy / Physics / Politics and Economics / Protestant Theology and Religious Studies / Spanish / Sports / Values and Norms as subject in the Master’s Teacher Training Course for Grammar Schools OR Catholic Religious Education / Chemistry / Colour Technology and Interior Decoration / Electrical Engineering / English Studies / Food Science / German Studies / Master’s Teacher Training / Master’s Teacher Training for Engineering / Mathematics / Metals Technology / Physics / Plant Operations and Manufacturing of Wood Products / Politics and Economics / Protestant Theology and Religious Studies / Site Engineering / Social Education and Community Work / Special Needs Education / Spanish / Special Needs Education for Schools / Sports as subject in the Master’s Teacher Training Course for Technical Education
- Master of Science in Water Resources and Environmental Management / Water and Environment (distance learning) / Sports Science / Production and Logistics / Power Engineering / Plant Biotechnology / Physics / Optical Technologies / Nanotechnology / Molecular Microbiology / Meteorology / Mechatronics and Robotics / Mechanical Engineering / Mathematics / Life Science / Landscape Sciences / Landscape Architecture / International Mechatronics / International Horticulture / Geodesy and Geoinformatics / Food Research and Development / Environmental Planning and Territorial Development – Major Territorial Development / Environmental Planning and Territorial Development – Major Nature Conservation and Landscape Planning / Environmental Engineering / Engineering and Business Administration / Energy Technology / Electrical Engineering and Information Technology / Economics and Management / Earth Sciences / Computer Science / Computer Engineering / Computational Methods in Engineering / Civil Engineering – Specialisation in Structural Engineering (distance learning) / Civil Engineering / Chemistry / Biomedical Engineering / Biochemistry / Architecture and Urban Design
- Master of Laws in European Legal Practice LL.M Joint Degree and IT and IP Law
Leibniz University Hannover Masters Requirement
Candidates can apply online or offline at Leibniz University Hannover for Master programs, but there is a specific requirement that is mandatory to fulfill for each program.
Candidates applying online must submit all the required documents by scanning them and uploading them on the official application section of the university’s website.
The basic requirement for each master’s program is the same and is mentioned below:
- A university entrance qualification proof like high school diploma
- Bachelor’s degree certificate as required for the program
- Complete and updated description of education and grades obtained
- A CV (Curriculum Vitae)
- Proof of language skills
- Any other document as mentioned in the application form
Leibniz University Hannover Masters in English
Candidates who do not speak German or do not prefer to learn in German can choose the universal language – English. Almost all the courses are offered in three languages, including English, German, and Spanish.
While many native speakers choose to learn in German, international students generally go for learning in the English language only. The university also offers a few master’s programs in the English language. These courses are as mentioned below.
- Master of Arts in Smart Anglophone Studies includes a combination of English, American Studies, and English Literature.
- Master of Education in English Studies as a subject in the Master’s Teacher Training Course for Grammar Schools
- Master of Education in English Studies as a subject in the Master’s Teacher Training Course for Technical Education
- Master of Arts in German and English Linguistics which teaches development, structure, and use of the two languages
Leibniz University Hannover Admission
The academic programs at Leibniz University Hannover run on semester format, and hence the admission is provided in the university twice in a year – Summer program and Winter Programme.
Students who want subject-specific admission into the university are required to apply for the University Entrance Exam. This entrance exam is consists of two parts – a written test of 2-5 hours and an oral exam of about 45 minutes.
- Admission for the Winter semester starts with the application process, which initiates in June-August.
- Intake for the Winter semester starts from 1 October every year
- Admission starts for all the undergraduate, postgraduate, and certification programs
- For admission into the Summer semester, the application will start from 1 December 2020.
Leibniz University Hannover Admission Requirements
Leibniz University Hannover conducts the admission process twice in a year as it follows the semester calendar for its academic programs. Intake into the university is based on the requirement criteria fulfilled by the candidates.
Admission requirements differ from one program to another. The university offers admission into the 84-degree programs in the academic year 2020.
The basic requirement for any program is as follows:
- Knowledge of German is mandatory which must be represented by a certificate for a bachelor’s degree program
- High School Diploma or equivalent like 12th pass certificate
- Migration Certificate from school to certify that candidate can apply for higher education
- For a master’s degree program, a German language certificate is mandatory. Some programs also require an English language certificate
- Some programs require a pre-study internship
- Some of the programs have a subject-specific requirement
Leibniz University Hannover Courses
The university offers several undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs and certification programs in different fields. Myriad of courses at Leibniz University Hannover are offered by 11 faculties viz.
Faculty of Architecture and Landscape Sciences, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geodetic Science, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Economics and Management, Leibniz Research School, and Leibniz School of Education.
Different undergraduate and certification programs at the university are listed below.
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Linguistic / Arts / Bachelor’s Teacher Training Course / Catholic Religious Education / English Studies / Geography / German Studies / History / Interdisciplinary Bachelor’s Degree Programme / Mathematics / Music / Performing Arts / Philosophy / Political Science / Politics / Protest Theology and Religious Studies / Protest Theology / Social Sciences / Social Studies and Science / Spanish Studies / Special Needs Education / Sport / Study of Religions and Ethics
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture / Bachelor’s Teacher Training Course / Biochemistry / Biology / Catholic Religious Education / Chemistry / Civil and Environmental Engineering / Colour Technology and Interior Decoration / Computer Engineering / Computer Science / Earth Sciences / Economics and Management / Electrical Engineering and Information Technology / Electrical Engineering / Engineering and Business Administration / English Studies / Food Science / Geodesy and Geoinformatics / Geography / German Studies / Interdisciplinary Bachelor’s Degree Programme / Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning / Life Science / Mathematics / Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics / Metal Technology / Meteorology / Molecular and Applied Plant Science / Nanotechnology / Physics / Plant Operations and Manufacturing of Wood Products / Politics / Power Engineering / Production and Logistics / Protestant Theology and Religious Studies / Site Engineering / Spanish Studies / Sports
- Bachelor of Law in IT and IP Law
- Certificate and Supplementary Course in Aesthetic Education and Creative Design / European Legal Practice CLE / Industrial Science / Master’s Teacher Training Course / Rubber Technology / Special Needs Education for Schools / Teacher Training Course
Leibniz University Hannover English Courses
Leibniz University Hannover offers several English courses through its undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs. All the university courses are offered in three major languages, including English, German, and Spanish.
The university offers masters and bachelor’s courses in English alone and association with another language. Different English language courses available at the university are mentioned below.
- English Studies as a subject in the Bachelor’s Teacher Training Course for Technical Education (Bachelor of Science)
- English Studies as a subject in the Interdisciplinary Bachelor’s Degree Programme (Bachelor of Arts)
- English Studies as a subject in the Master’s Teacher Training Course for Grammar Schools (Master of Education)
- English Studies as a subject in the Master’s Teacher Training Course for Technical Education (Master of Education)
- German and English Linguistics (Master of Arts)
Leibniz University Hannover Computer Science
Computer Science is growing a growing field. For many years, people are using it as a tool to improve the routine life of humans. At Leibniz University Hannover, Computer Science is offered through undergraduate as well as the postgraduate program.
Both the programs have an unrestricted admission, but admission opens twice for Winter Semester and Summer Semester for a master’s degree and once for the Winter semester for a bachelor’s degree.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor’s program is a 6-semester program with optional part-time study
- Master’s program is a 4-semester program with optional part-time study and German as the primary language of learning
- After completing these programs, career opportunities are available in companies concerned with information and communication technologies, medical technology, energy technology, and automotive engineering.
Leibniz University Hannover Master of Science in Nanotechnology
Nanotechnology is a subdomain of science dedicated to the development and innovation at the molecular or atomic level. Leibniz University Hannover offers both postgraduate and undergraduate science degree in Nanotechnology. However, its master’s program is more focused on the research and has made a significant contribution to the field.
Highlights of the master of science in nanotechnology at the university are given below:
- It is a two-year or 4-semester long full-time program
- The course is research-focused and is strengthen by Laboratory of Nanotechnology and Quantum Engineering
- The Hannover Production Technology Centre supports high-quality teaching in nanotechnology
- The program focuses on Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry, Chemistry of nanomaterials, Laser technology/photonics, Materials physics, Microelectronics and Nanoelectronic, and Micro production technology
Leibniz University Hannover PhD
Doctorate at Leibniz University Hannover is conferred by QUEST Leibniz Research School located on the university’s campus. Ph.D. program of the university has been reviewed as “good scientific practice for scientific qualification reports and theses in physics by the Konferenz der Fachbereiche Physik (Conference of the faculties of physics). The Ph.D. program is also offered to the international students fulfilling the required criteria.
The complete process of the program is as follows.
- Step 1: Admission as Doctoral Researcher, Matriculation
- Step 2: Submission of the Thesis and Application of the Doctorate
- Step 3: Display of the Dissertation and the Reports
- Step 4: Determination of an Examination- or Disputationdate
- Step 5: Examination/Disputation
- Step 6: Publication of the Thesis
- Step 7: Promotion
Leibniz University Hannover Application
Applications at Leibniz University Hannover are accepted twice in a year, depending on the program. Applications are accepted from June-August for Winter semester programs for which intake begins in October. For Summer semester programs, applications roll out in December.
The application process for bachelor and master programs is as follows:
- Register on https://my.uni-assist.de for bachelor programs and master programs, apply directly to the Leibniz University Hannover
- Search for degree programs and create an application
- Upload the necessary documents
- Check application and send it electronically
- Print out and sign the application form
Leibniz University Hannover Application Fees
Leibniz University Hannover charges a small one-time non-refundable amount of €75 which, when converted to INR amounts roughly around ₹6650. Application fees must be paid through the uni-assist.
The university requires the candidate to pay the application fees to successfully process the application submitted. Uni-assist must receive proof of payment to complete the application process.
Leibniz University Hannover Application Status
Candidates who have applied for admission into the Leibniz University Hannover must keep a check on their application status. Since the university receives thousands of applications, candidates are expected to keep patience while checking their application status. To check their application status, candidates must log in to their account using their username and password. The username of the candidate is the application number password is created at the end of the application.
Leibniz University Hannover Fees
Fees structure of an institution is one of the important criteria that students keep into consideration while deciding the right college for higher education. Hard-earned money must be invested in a place where the return on investment is satisfactory.
At Leibniz University Hannover, the fee structure is simple and the same for all the semesters. The university’s Fees structure is made up of several components, which can be witnessed in the table below.
|Studentenwerk||approx. INR 10,200|
|Semester Card||approx. INR 20,500|
|Student body||approx. INR 1160|
|Bike Workshop||approx. INR 80|
|Administrative Cost||approx. INR 6650|
|Kulturticket||approx. INR 220|
|Semester ticket default fund||approx. INR 190|
|Total||approx. INR 39,000|
Leibniz University Hannover Fees for International Students
For international students, the fee has always been the elephant in the room. Going abroad and staying there increases the cost burden automatically. In this situation, the fee structure must fall under the budget of students. The university has over 4000 international students from 114 countries enrolled in the batch 2019-20.
Leibniz University Hannover Reviews
Leibniz University Hannover has received several accolades for high-quality education and top-notch performance in research. The university is a member of TU9, which is an association of the top 9 leading technology institutes in Germany. The university has a rating of 4.5/5 on Facebook and 4.5/5 on Master Portal. Students’ reviews of the institute on various platforms are mostly positive. Some of the reviews are mentioned below.
“The housing is not expensive (between 200 and 300 euros). The monthly budget for food and leisure activities is around 350-400. The city is not particularly fun for parties, and the choice of courses in English is very limited. Not enough case studies or practical exercises.”
“I liked my experience with my master’s study so far. I loved how different aspects of spatial planning, environmental planning, and European Laws have been coordinated in my master’s course. But I would prefer to see more focus on practical and professional use of the study programs. For example, a mandatory Internship semester could be introduced instead of a Mandatory abroad semester, which could help us gain some professional knowledge for our future career.”
“Good work-life balance, opportunities to collaborate with other universities (abroad), maternity leave, flexibility on working hours. But low salary for Germany’s standards, few kindergarten (lottery to find a place for your kid), the international community not very engaging, social life opportunities near to zero, home office not allowed.”
“Leibniz is one of the best universities in Germany. I would surely recommend it. But it also depends on what you want to study. Since I had friends from various studies like civil, economics, agriculture, mechanical, they all felt it’s a very education.”
Ans. The university has managed to deliver high-quality education to Germany and the world through its various academic programs. It received the status equivalent to university in 1899 when it was known as the College of Technology.
It was ranked number 7 by a panel of top managers in Germany. In QS World University Rankings 2021, it was ranked 651-700. In QS World University Rankings 2020, it was ranked 651-700. In Times World University Rankings 2020, it was ranked 401-500.
Ans. The university offers several undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs and certification programs in different fields. Eleven faculties offer a myriad of courses at Leibniz University Hannover.
It offers several programs in Arts, Bachelor’s Teacher Training Course, Catholic Religious Education, English Studies, Geography, German Studies, History, Interdisciplinary Bachelor’s Degree Programme, Mathematics, Music, Performing Arts, Philosophy, Political Science, Politics, etc.
Ans. The application process for the bachelor and master programs is as follows Register on https://my.uni-assist.de for bachelor programs and master programs, apply directly to the Leibniz University Hannover; Search for degree programs and create an application; Upload the necessary documents; Check application and send it electronically; Print out and sign the application form
Ans. Leibniz University Hannover is located at Welfengarten 1, 30167 Hannover, Germany. Established in 1831 as the Higher Trade School in Bornemannsches Haus, Leibniz University Hannover had only 64 students at the time of inception.
The university has a rich academic history of over 189 years. The mission of the university is reflected through its motto, “Shaping the future with knowledge.”
Ans. At Leibniz University Hannover, the fee structure is simple and the same for all the semesters. The university’s Fees structure is made up of several components, including Studentenwerk, StudentCard, Student body, etc.
The total fees for any program in the university is around INR 39,000 for one semester. It is one of the most affordable institutes in Germany.