The ICAI Exam (Institute of Chartered Accountants India Exam), also known as the CA exam, is conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), which is a national professional accounting body of India. ICAI conducts exams for candidates of the Chartered Accounting profession in India. The examination is conducted at different levels as per the CA courses. Applicants must qualify for all levels of ICAI exams to be accredited as a Chartered Accountant and professional auditor in India.
The CA courses at ICAI are as under:
- CA Foundation course examination (4 exams)
- CA Intermediate examination (7 exams based on New Syllabus and 8 exams based on the old syllabus)
- CA Final examination (8 exams based on New Syllabus and 8 paper based on Old Syllabus)
ICAI Exam Pattern
CPT (Common Proficiency Test)
Common Proficiency Test is an entrance test for the admission to ICAI courses.
- CPT exam is MCQ based test; consists of 200 MCQ worth 200 marks.
- This exam is conducted in two sessions of 2 hours each.
- To pass CPT, one needs to score at least 50% in aggregate of 4 subjects and a minimum of 30% in the individual sections.
- This exam carries a 0.25 negative marking on every wrong answer to a question.
|Subject||Maximum mark||Minimum mark|
|Sec A: Fundamentals of Accounting||60||18|
|Sec B: Mercantile Laws||40||12|
|Sec C: General Economics||50||15|
|Sec D: Quantitative Aptitude||50||15|
Intermediate IPCC (New syllabus)
- This is the 2nd stage of the IPCC exam, popularly called IPCC. There are a total of 7 subjects divided across two groups. The first group has 4 subjects and the second group has 3 subjects.
- Students can appear in a single group or both groups at a time according to their preparation and they must secure 40% marks in each and every subject along with 50% marks in aggregate of all the subjects at one sitting.
- The Intermediate IPC course exam will consist of seven papers as under:
- Business Law, Ethics and Communication
- Cost Accounting and Financial Management
- Advanced Accounting
- Auditing and Assurance
- Information Technology and Strategic Management
- Once you complete IPCC, you need to do 3 years of article-ship. The minimum requirement for being able to do article-ship is to clear at least one group of IPCC and to complete 100 hours of ITT (Information Technology training).
- Article-ship is practical training and students will get paid an amount as stipend every month.
CA Exam Final
- CFA final consists of two groups and a candidate need to pass both the groups to be able to get the CA credential and designation. In each group, there are 4 subjects. In the first group, you need to sit for Financial Reporting, Strategic Financial Management, Advanced Auditing & Professional Ethics, and Corporate Laws & Secretarial Practice. In the second group, you will attempt Advanced Management Accounting, Information Systems Control, Direct Taxes, and Indirect Taxes.
- You need to score at least 40% in each subject and 50% in aggregate to pass the exam.
CA Exam Result
CA exam is conducted twice in a year; one in May and another in November. Generally, there is no fixed duration as in when the results are released but 2-.2.5 months is usually taken by the ICAI board to release the results of each level.
ICAI Results Websites
ICAI publishes results and merit list for CA exams including Foundation, Intermediate, and Final on the following websites:
How to Check ICAI CA Results?
- Visit the official ICAI website OR click on the direct result link below
- Click on the links indicating ‘Result’
- Click on the link for result/scores of your CA course
- Enter your ICAI roll number and pin number or registration number
- Click on ‘submit‘ to check CA result
ICAI Exam Registration
ICAI Registration Process
For candidates applying for the first time, the following are steps to register for the ICAI exam:
- Click LOGIN/REGISTER on the main tab of the ICAI official website here or https://icaiexam.icai.org/
- Click on ‘New User Register here!’ to register for ICAI exam as a fresh student, check the image below (for representation purpose only)
- ICAI Registration Form will pop up as given in the image below:
- Fill the details as required i.e. Examination (Final – Old & New, Intermediate IPC-ATE Old, Intermediate New, and Foundation, Select Prefix, Registration Number, Date of Birth as per certificates, Valid E-mail address, Mobile Number and Landline Number (If any but not mandatory)
- Click on confirmation/declaration and ‘Register’ button to complete ICAI Exam Registration
- Once, ICAI registration is complete, proceed to fill the application form for your respective examination
How to Fill the CA Exam Application Form?
After registration is complete, candidates can fill the application form of their CA course as per the steps below:
- Visit the official ICAI website or click on the direct link given below
- Register as a new user for CA November Examinations
- Choose registration number in the drop-down
- Authenticate using course+ SRN+ DOB
- Once authentication is done, enter email and mobile number
- Login with the help of registration number and password
- Provide the address and other details
- Validate email and mobile number
- Fill up the form and upload the necessary documents
- Make a payment of application fee to complete the process
- Download the duly filled form
CA Course Application Fee Payment
ICAI has mentioned that candidates can make payment for the CA application fee can be paid as under:
- Debit Card or Credit Card (VISA or MASTER or MAESTRO/ RUPAY)
- Net Banking
- Bhim UPI payment
|Course||Single Group||Both Groups|
|Intermediate/ Intermediate (IPC) course||Rs 1500||Rs 2700|
|Final Course (Old & New)||Rs 1800||Rs 3300|
|Foundation Course||Rs 1500||–|
The application fee to be paid for CA May 2020 examination for different categories is as under:
- In case of late applications, an additional fee of INR 600 per course needs to be paid.
ICAT Exam Admit Card
ICAI issues admit card or hall ticket at least a week before the examination. ICAI releases the admit card on its official website for all three levels. By entering the valid login credential, the candidate can download ICAI admit card.
Students shall note that ICAI will not send any physical admission cards. You can only download it and it is therefore recommended that you take your print at least 10 days before the examination so as to avoid mischief at any last moment.
You should also be careful while downloading the Admission Cards, as the maximum limit for downloading your Admission Card is three times.
What are the Steps to download ICAI Admit Card 2020?
- Step 1: Go to the Official Website https://icaiexam.icai.org/index.php
- Step 2: Click on the Login/Registration tab
- Step 3: Login using login ID (registration number) and password
- Step 4: Click on the tab indicating ICAI admit card
- Step 5: Download the ICAI admit card for future purposes.
Details Present on ICAI CA Admit Card 2020
- Name of the candidate
- Registration number of the applicant
- Program details
- Candidate’s photo and signature
- Exam venue and timing.
In case of any query related to Foundation, IPC, final level examination, technical glitch, etc. ICAI offers a helpdesk service that offers services on all working days between 10 am to 5 pm.
Following are the Helpline numbers:
- 0120-3054 851
- 0120-3054 852
- 0120-3054 853
- 0120-3054 854
- 0120-3054 835
- 0120-4953 751
- 0120-4953 752
- 0120-4953 753
- 0120-4953 754
- Technical – [email protected] (only for technical resolution of online form)
- IPCE – [email protected]
- Final – [email protected]
- Foundation – [email protected]
ICAI Exam Centers
The ICAI exam is conducted in as many as 207 study cities in India and five cities abroad. Candidates may select their test center according to their attempt (either May or November) Candidate can select their test center for ICAI examinations while filling out the application form online only.
ICAI Exam Centers
CA exams will be held in the following test cities in India:
|Delhi/ New Delhi||Dhanbad||Dhule|
ICAI 2020 Exam Centers (Overseas)
The CA May 2020 examinations will also be held at five test centres abroad. Candidates can select from the following test cities for ICAI:
- Abu Dhabi
Intermediate (IPC) / Intermediate New
- Certificate of Service Format for candidates who registered for/converted to Intermediate (IPC)/ATC course under the Direct Entry Scheme under the category Graduates/Post Graduates and completed or will be completing 9 months of articles as on 01st May 2020.
- Candidates who registered for Intermediate (IPC)/ATC course through CPT route and appeared in the Intermediate (IPC) Examination in one or both groups but did not qualify both the groups or either of the group and converted to Intermediate (IPC) under the Direct Entry Scheme and commenced practical training on or before 30th April 2020.
- Certificate Of Service For Candidates Who Have Completed Their Articleship.
- Certificate of Service For candidates who registered/applied for Intermediate(New)/ATC on or before 30th June 2019 under the Direct Entry Scheme under the category graduates/post graduates and completed/would be completing 6 months of articles as on 01st May 2020.
- Certificate of Service For candidates who registered for Intermediate(New)/ATC after 30th June 2019 under the Direct Entry Scheme under the category graduates/post graduates and completed/would be completing 9 months of articles as on 01st May 2020.
- Certificate of Service For candidates who converted to Intermediate(New)/ATC from erstwhile Intermediate or PE-II or PCC or IPCE or Intermediate(IPC) under the Direct Entry Scheme under the category graduates/post graduates and completed/would be completing 9 months of articles as on 01st May 2020.
- Candidates who registered for Intermediate (IPC) course through CPT route and appeared in the Intermediate (IPC) Examination in one or both groups but did not qualify both the groups or either of the group and converted to Intermediate (IPC) under the Direct Entry Scheme and now converted to Intermediate (New) and commenced / would be commencing practical training on or before 30th April 2020./ Candidates who registered for Intermediate course through CPT/Foundation route and appeared in the Intermediate Examination in one or both groups but did not qualify both the groups or either of the group and now converted to the Direct Entry Scheme and commenced/would be commencing practical training on or before 30th April 2020.
- CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE (For candidates who have completed their Articleship).
Final Old / Final New
- Certificate Of Service For Candidates Who Have Completed Their Articleship
- Certificate Of Service For Candidates Who Are Going To Complete Their Articleship On Or Before 30th April 2020
Candidates in the last 6/12 months of articleship
- Certificate Of Service – For Candidates, PE-II And Converted From PE-II To IPCC, Converted From PE-II To PCC Or From PE-II To PCC And Then IPCC
- Certificate Of Service – For PCC or Converted from PCC to IPCC
- Certificate Of Service – (For Intermediate and IPCC)