Automobile Engineering consists of elements of mechanical, electrical, electronic, software and safety engineering. This discipline of engineering concerns the study of designing, manufacturing, and operating automobiles and their engineering systems.
As a major two-wheeler manufacturer in addition to being the second-largest manufacturer of tractors, India requires a highly skilled and trained workforce for the steady maintenance of the industry. Furthermore, the scope of the automobile business is set to rise due to government encouragement.
Therefore, graduates of automobile engineering will be demand for a long time.
Automobile Engineering Employment Areas
- Automobile Manufacturing
- Transport Company
- Automobile Garages
- Defense Services
- Maintenance & Service Station
- Maintenance Workshop
- Automobile Designing
- Automobile Study Institutes
Automobile Engineering Job Types
- Project Leaders
- Quality Engineer
- Product Development Engineer
- Senior Production Engineer
- Academic Researcher
- Vehicle Dynamics Controller
- Design Engineer
- Operations Researcher
Skills Required For Automobile Engineering
- A natural interest in mechanics, mathematics, and electronics
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
Top Recruiting Companies For Automobile Engineering
- TATA Motors
- Ashok Leyland
- Renault Nissan
- General Motors
- Maruti Suzuki
Check Out: Aerospace Engineering
B.E Automobile Engineering
Various colleges in India offer B.E Automobile Engineering, it is a 4-year undergraduate course, specialization in alternative fuels, aerodynamics, chassis, emissions, electronics, ergonomics, materials, manufacturing, motorsport, rapid prototyping, vehicle, power train, and pedestrian safety or supply chain management are offered. The course prepares students for the automobile engineering industry, which is a research-intensive, and direct application of mathematical models and formulas is involved.
B.E. Automobile Engineering Eligibility
- 10+2 or equivalent exams with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
- National/State level entrance exams such as Joint Entrance Exam (JEE), All India Engineering Entrance Exam (AIEEE), etc.
B.E. Automobile Engineering Syllabus
- Engineering Design
- Automotive Electrical System
- Automotive Deisel Engines
- Automotive Material & Metallurgy
- Automotive Transmission
- Instrumentation & Metrology
- Computer-Aided Vehicle Design Data Characteristic
- Computer-Aided Machine Drawing
- Engine & Vehicle Testing Laboratory
- Automotive Electronics
- Vehicle Body Engineering
- Manufacturing Processes
- Two & Three Wheelers
- Automotive Pollution & Control
- Quality Control & Reliability Engineering
- Computer-Aided Design Application in Automotive Engine Design
- Automotive Pollution & Electronics Laboratory
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Vehicle Maintenance
- Professional Ethics
- Management Sciences
- Vehicle Maintenance Laboratory
- Industrial Training
- Total Quality Management
- Computer-Aided Design Application for Automotive Chassis Design
- Principles of Environmental Science & Engineering
- Project Work
Top B.E Automobile Engineering Colleges
- Chandigarh University, Mohali, Punjab
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering, Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu
- Basaveshwar Engineering College, Bagalkot, Karnataka
Check Out: Top Engineering colleges in India
M.Tech Automobile Engineering
Following the completion of their undergraduate studies, individuals can pursue Automobile Engineering at a higher level by opting for M.Tech Automobile Engineering. A 2-year postgraduate course, it is the combined study of various disciplines from mechanical, electric, electronic, software and safety engineering.
M.Tech. Automobile Engineering Eligibility
- B.E/ B.Tech or equivalent degree with minimum 50% marks.
- Entrance exams for some institutes.
Check Out: College of Engineering (CoEP)-Admission 2020
M.Tech. Automobile Engineering Syllabus
- Design of Experiments & Research Methodology
- Automotive Engines & Emissions
- Theory of Elasticity & Reliability
- Transmission System Theory & Design
- Engine Design
- Chassis & Body Engineering
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Noise & Vibration
- Industrial Training
M.Tech. Automobile Engineering Colleges
- National Institute of Technology, Tadepalligudem, Andhra Pradesh
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, Tamil Nadu
- Amity School of Engineering & Technology, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Check Out: Bachelor of Engineering
Automobile engineering salary
An automotive/automobile engineer makes and improves instruments and structures inside the car field. The automobile/automotive engineer may work for a unique gear maker or for an organization that makes vehicles. A significant part of the work is done on a PC with CAD programming, so capability with structure programming is vital.
Average Automotive/Automobile Engineer Salary in India
₹660,653 Avg. SalaryShow Hourly Rate
₹25,000 Profit Sharing
Automobile engineering courses
Automobile engineering manages the structure and making of vehicles utilized as methods for transportation by the street. The principle territories of utilization are in-vehicle plans, activities including the creation of vehicles, structuring motors, and fuel the board. To turn into a competent and talented car engineer, particular preparation might be fundamental.
Automobile engineering books
Automobile engineering is a part of vehicle building, and principally manages the creation and gathering the entire pieces of autos. The principal points of this paper are to configuration create, manufacture, and testing vehicles or vehicle segments from the idea stage to the creation stage.
List of automobile engineering books are:
- A TEXTBOOK OF INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES BY R.K. RAJPUT.
- AUTOMOTIVE MECHANICS PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES BY JOSEPH HEITNER.
- ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION HANDBOOK BY THOMAS R. KURFESS.
- INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES BY V GANESAN.
- AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING FUNDAMENTALS BY RICHARD STONE.
- INTRODUCTION TO INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES BY RICHARD STONE.
- AN INTRODUCTION TO MODERN VEHICLE DESIGN BY JULIAN HAPPIAN-SMITH.
- AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING – POWERTRAIN, CHASSIS SYSTEM, AND VEHICLE BODY BY DAVID CROLLA PROFESSOR.
- AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING: LIGHTWEIGHT, FUNCTIONAL, AND NOVEL MATERIALS BY BRIAN CANTOR, P. GRANT, C. JOHNSTON.
- AUTOMOTIVE FUEL, LUBRICATING, AND COOLING SYSTEMS: CONSTRUCTION, OPERATION, AND MAINTENANCE BY WILLIAM HARRY CROUSE.
- AUTOMOTIVE ENGINES: CONTROL, ESTIMATION, STATISTICAL DETECTION BY ALEXANDER A. STOTSKY.
- ELEMENTS OF AUTOMOTIVE MECHANICS BY JOSEPH NORMAN G. SHIDLE & THOMAS A. BISSELL HEITNER.
- ROBOTICS (INDUSTRIAL ROBOTICS) BY P.JAGANATHAN (LOCAL AUTHOR) LAKSHMI PUBLICATIONS.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING BY DAVID CROLLA.
- ENGINEERING FUNDAMENTALS OF THE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE BY WILLARD W. PULKRABEK.
- FUNDAMENTALS OF INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES BY GUPTA H.N.
- INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE FUNDAMENTALS BY JOHN HEYWOOD.
Automobile engineering colleges
Automobile engineering is one of the promising fields of building in a not so distant future as interest for new innovations, and experts are going to rise following the evolving patterns. The investigation of car building is to configuration, create, manufacture, and testing vehicles or vehicle segments from the idea stage to the creation stage. Creation, advancement, and assembling are the three significant capacities in this field.
Here is a list of Automobile engineering colleges:
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras – [IITM], Chennai.
- Vellore Institute of Technology – [VIT University], Vellore.
- DIT University – [DIT], Dehradun.
- National Institute of Technology – [NIT], Warangal.
- Parul University, Vadodara.
- Birla Institute of Technology – [BIT Mesra], Ranchi.
- Birla Institute of Technology – [BIT Mesra], Ranchi.
- NIMS University, Jaipur.
- Amity University, Noida.
Best Automobile engineering colleges in India
Furnish understudies with central ideas, down to earth information, and expert morals through inventive works on prompting capability in the field of Automobile Engineering. The development of the car area in India is frequently referred to as the purpose behind the developing inclination in the car and mechanical surges of building.
This developing inclination has been supplemented by the endeavors of top vehicle designing universities in India to make the training more top to bottom, common sense, and simultaneously compensating for competitors.
List of Top 10 Automobile Engineering Colleges in India 2020:-
- IIT Delhi.
- IIT Roorkee.
- Sathyabama University, Chennai.
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal.
- Hindustan Institute of Engineering Technology, Chennai.
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai.
- P.S.G. School of Technology, Coimbatore.
- SCMS School of Engineering and Technology (SSET), Cochin.
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI), Mumbai.
Masters in Automobile Engineering
Structuring and making vehicles is something most children try for when they are youthful.
Beginning with your toy vehicles to really growing up and being an architect may take years, yet the energy-related with the calling proceeds. While numerous Universities abroad offer ace’s courses in Automotive/Automobile Design and Engineering, German Universities appear to be the top pick.
Some points referenced about the masters in automobile engineering are:
- The future certainly searches splendid for the car business, as designers keep on building up the up and coming age of mixture vehicles while remaining at the cutting edge of advancements like flying or self-driving vehicles.
- Automobile Engineering courses consolidate instruments and strategies utilized in Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic, Safety, and Software Engineering.
- In the Automotive Engineering field, you can have practical experience in the plan, examination, and advancement, testing, and quality control, or the creation of vehicles and car segments.
- The developments don’t stop here. As we alter transportation, the effect of AI, time traffic information, and associated savvy vehicles will develop.
- Understudies who move on from a Bachelor’s or Master’s qualification in Automotive Engineering discover profession open doors as car-producing engineers, car specialized advisors, car architects, or quality confirmation supervisors.
Subjects for automobile engineering
The course structure is planned in such a manner, that understudies learn hypothetical and down to earth information on various fields that are shrouded in the investigation of vehicle designing. A portion of the designing traits or orders that are of significance to the car engineer: Safety Engineering, Safety Engineering, Vehicle Dynamics, NVH Engineering (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness), Performance, Shift Quality, Durability/Corrosion building, Package/Ergonomics Engineering, Climate Control, Drivability, Cost, Program timing and Assembly Feasibility.
The list of subjects for automobile engineering are:
- Engineering Thermodynamics.
- Fluid Mechanics and Machinery.
- Automotive Engines.
- Manufacturing Technology.
- Strength of Materials.
- Automotive Chassis.
- Design of Machine Elements.
- Automotive Transmission.
- Automotive Electrical and Electronics.
- Automotive Fuels and Lubricants.
- Automotive Engine Components Design.
- Vehicle Dynamics.
- Vehicle Maintenance.
- Vehicle Body Engineering.
Scope of Automobile engineering
The Indian automobile/automotive industry is the most powerful and energizing one on the planet at the present time, and the main motivation is the buyer base. The business can be generally separated into three divisions. R and D, assembling, deals, and promoting. These days, the measure of car vehicles is continually expanding each day. Ever pondered who are the individuals behind these developing quantities of cars, they are the automobile engineers.
The vehicle business is one of the quickest developing enterprises right now in India. There is a substantial ascent in car producing units all over India. Especially in Chennai, there is an abrupt blast in vehicle producing businesses in recent decades.
Worldwide organizations like Hyundai, Ford, Volkswagen, and a few different organizations opened their assembling units on the edges of Chennai. Which is the reason Chennai is broadly known as the Detroit of India?
Automobile engineering from Germany
A fruitful vocation begins with astounding training. In the event that this is your equation to accomplish your expert dreams, at that point, Germany is the perfect spot for you to get your graduate degree in Automotive Engineering. Each spending year, a large number of universal understudies go to Germany to read for their car science degrees.
Today German building schools rank among the best on the planet. As a worldwide modern force to be reckoned with, Germany is the place numerous well-known car makers are based. Designing schools keep up solid participation with these organizations to guarantee their alumni satisfy their expert needs.
Colleges in Germany for automobile engineering
Automobile Engineering degrees get ready understudies for assembling and working vehicles while examining subjects, for example, Mechanics, Design, Product Innovation, and Sales. Building schools train car engineers who structure portability frameworks, make models, and work designing frameworks. Automobile engineering vocations incorporate functioning as creators, quality affirmation chiefs, or specialized sales reps.
List of colleges in Germany for automobile engineering are:
- Technical University of Munich (TU München).
- RWTH Aachen University (RWTH Aachen).
- Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech).
- Technical University of Berlin (TU Berlin).
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT).
- University of Stuttgart (Uni Stuttgart).
- Darmstadt University of Technology (TU Darmstadt).
- Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU).
- Technical University of Dortmund (TU Dortmund).
- Braunschweig University of Technology (TU Braunschweig).
Automobile engineering interview questions
BE/B. Tech in Automobile Engineering is a 4-year program. This program additionally includes the investigation of courses identified with aviation and marine building. Automobile engineering is a piece of mechanical building. It is a branch investigation of the building, which shows fabricating, planning, mechanical instruments to activities of vehicles.
Some of the commonly asked interview questions are:
- Q1) what is Automobile Engineering?
- Q2) How will you differentiate between the two-stroke engine and four-stroke engines?
- Q3) what is the range of engine efficiency in the case of a two-stroke engine?
- Q4) Definition of Octane number & Cetane number
- Q5) what do you understand by CC of the engine?
- Q6) if we use gasoline in a diesel engine, what will happen?
- Q7) Explain the significance of governor in automobiles?
- Q8) what is the use of hydrogen in an automobile?
- Q9) what is the use of Natural gas in automobiles?
- Q10) what is an automotive differential, and how does it work?
Automobile engineering as a career
Automobile engineering is a part of designing, which manages to structure, fabricating, and working cars. This likewise remembers working for their mechanical, electrical, electronic, programming, and wellbeing viewpoints. It is a portion of vehicle building which manages cruisers, transports, and so on.
There are basically three kinds of car engineers:
- Design Engineers: They are answerable for the structure part of a vehicle. Basically, they make the vehicle look great.
- Development Engineers: They progress in the direction of improving the effectiveness of existing vehicles and growing new ones. In addition to other things, they arrange undertakings like car level testing, its approval, and affirmation. They primarily examine and discover answers for designing issues.
- Production Engineers: Their obligations incorporate creation sure the procedure of assembling goes easily.
This implies they are engaged with the plan, improvement, usage, activity, upkeep, and control of all procedures in the production of vehicles.
Automobile engineering course details
B.E. Automobile Engineering or Automotive Engineering or Bachelor of Engineering in Automobile Engineering is an undergrad Automobile Engineering course. The length of the course is four years, and the course manages the investigation of planning, fabricating, and working cars like transports, trucks, vehicles, and so forth and their individual designing subsystems.
B.E. (Automobile Engineering) additionally offers specialization in optimal design; elective energizes, undercarriage, hardware, emanations, ergonomics, producing materials, motorsport, power train, quick prototyping, vehicle, and passerby wellbeing or gracefully chain the executives.
Ans. Automobile Engineering has ample scope in India. It’s one of the fastest-growing engineering sectors in India. It includes basic qualifications. It has good and career opportunities in India as well as abroad too.
Ans. The main work of automobile engineer is to develop passenger cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles or off-road vehicles. They also
Design new products or modify existing ones.
Ans. Here is the list of automobile courses after BE in mechanical engineering:
1. Automotive Design and Manufacturing
2. CAD/CAM Technology in Automotive Engineering
3. Engine Principles
4. Engineering Analysis & Numerical Methods
5. Fluid Mechanics and Machinery
6. Fuel and Emission Control Systems
7. Manufacturing Methods
8. Modern Vehicle Technology
Ans. Here are some top 6 universities to study automobile engineering:
1. HAN University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands
2. Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
3. Isik University, Turkey
4. Coventry University, UK
5. Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Lithuania
6. Hamk University of Applied Sciences, Finland
Ans. Here is the list of companies offering jobs to Automobile Engineer:
1. TATA Motors
5. Ashok Leyland
6. Renault Nissan
7. General Motors
9. Maruti Suzuki