Fashion Designing is the artistic method of designing and applying techniques to clothing and accessories and making them aesthetically pleasing and influencing the natural beauty of the subject. Fashion designing is associated with the social culture and preferences of the designers and society. Fashion designing is a very prominent vocational education stream and is studied by many students interested in the fashion industry all over the world.
Fashion Designing is one of the most creative streams and most popular amongst the students who want to pursue their careers in the fashion fields. In the fashion field itself, there is a number of different areas such as accessory design, fashion communication, leather design, knitwear design, and textile design.
- Fashion Design – A very creative and prosperous field
- Enormous scope in the fashion industry all over the world
- Variety of courses available
- Many domains are present in the fashion industry itself
Fashion Designing Course
There are a number of fashion designing courses available and have enormous scope. Courses such as bachelor’s, masters and Diploma are available. Although the course and their curriculum vary depending on different colleges and the structure, students with a knack and right fashion aesthetics can do excellent in these fashion designing courses.
- Fashion designing courses have an extensive scope
- Different and industry-oriented curriculum
- Many fields are there in the fashion industry
- Students with a knack and fashion sense can do exceptionally well in the fashion industry
Fashion Designing Jobs
There are a number of open opportunities for students who complete their education in the field of fashion. They can work with big production houses or corporates or can open their brand and venture. With the growing influence of the fashion industry, there is broad scope in India also. Starting salaries for graduates from reputed colleges are 25000-40000 rupees.
Some of the top recruiters are –
- Sabyasachi Mukherjee
What Is Fashion Designing?
In simple words – Fashion Designing is the art of producing clothes and accessories which are aesthetically pleasing and good looking and which adheres to the latest fashion trends and lifestyle. The first fashion designing house was set up in Europe, and thus the fashion industry has its close ties with Europe. Students learning Fashion Designing learns how to make and stylize clothing and accessories.
- Started in Europe in the 19th century
- Relates to clothing and accessories
- Latest trends influence fashion designing in the world
- Creative and prospective fields for students
Fashion Designing Institute
There are a plethora of institutes present in India which provide formal education in the field of fashion. Some are even famous and enjoys a worldwide reputation. There are public, and private fashion institutes present all over the country. Students across India try to get admission into top fashion institutes.
- Both public and private fashion institutes are present in India
- Institutes provide diplomas and degrees to its student
- Getting formal education is very important for students
- There is a considerable amount of competition among students to get a seat in top institutes.
Fashion Designing Colleges In Delhi
There are plenty of institutes offering courses exclusively in the field of fashion designing in the Delhi and NCR region. Some of the best colleges in the country are in Delhi. Students from all over the country aim for these top colleges.
- National Institute of Fashion and Designing (NIFT) – Delhi
- Pearl Academy
- JD Institute of Fashion
- Indian Institute Of Art and Design
- Apeejay Institute of Design
Top 20 Fashion Designing Colleges In India
India has some of the best colleges in fashion designing. Some are private and some are public. Students have to clear entrance exams required by the specific college and should meet the minimum requirements to get admission to their dream college.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Bangalore
- Pearl Academy of Fashion, Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Chennai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Kolkata
- Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID), Pune
- Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- Northern India Institute of Fashion Technology (NIIFT), Mohali
- School Of Fashion Technology, Pune
- Army Institute Of Fashion And Design, Bangalore
- Amity School Of Fashion Technology, Noida
- Jd Institute Of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- National Institute Of Fashion Technology, Kannur
- Northern Indian Institute Of Fashion Technology, Niift Mohali
- Pearl Academy of Fashion, Jaipur
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Hyderabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Patna
- IMS Design and Innovation Academy
Fashion Designing Courses Fees
There are different courses available in fashion designing, which range from Diploma to master. Fee for fashion designing courses is on a higher side because of they are skill-based courses and includes more of the practical exposure than conventional theory lectures.
|Course||Annual fees (approx.)|
|Bachelors of Fashion Design||3.1 lakhs|
|B.Sc. in Fashion and Design||30000-40000|
|B.A. in Fashion Design||40000-2lakh|
|Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design and Management||1 lakh|
|M.A. in Fashion Design||1.7 lakh|
|M.Sc. in Fashion Designing||1.2 lakh|
|P.G. Diploma in Fashion Design||90000|
Fashion Designing Subjects
Fashion Designing gives the students an overview of all the areas related to the fashion industry.
From manufacturing to marketing, students get an idea in every field. Thus it is essential to pursue a certification course from a reputed and recognized institute.
Subjects in BSc in Fashion Design
|Apparel Construction Methods|
|Basic Computer studies|
|Current Global Fashion Trends|
|Elements of Design|
|Elements of Textiles|
|Fabric Dyeing and Printing|
|Fashion Illustration and Design|
|Free Hand Drawing|
|History of Costumes|
|Introduction to Pattern Making & Garment Construction|
|Indian Art Appreciation|
Fashion Designing Diploma
Diploma in Fashion Designing is generally a 1-year course which gives an overview of fashion designing in a short period. The diploma course lays down the foundation and makes it firm by providing knowledge and industry expertise.
- 1-year Diploma course
- A diploma will be awarded
- The average course fee is around 50000-10 lakhs, depending upon the institute
- Can be done by after completion of 10+2
Fashion Designing Scope
There is an excellent scope of fashion designing in India and as well as abroad. It is a field that wants creative and determined minds. Fashion is a glamorous field and there is great career options present.
Students can work as:
- Fashion Consultant
- Fashion Illustrator
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Stylist
- Can Start Their Brand
Fashion Designing Course Duration
Fashion Designing course duration varies depending on the course and the institute offering it. Generally, a bachelor’s course is for 4 years, BSc is of 3 years, Masters is of 2 years and Diploma is of 1 year.
- Some courses have age limit as well
- Courses vary from 1-4 year depending on the type
- There is a semester system in colleges
- Minimum eligibility is 10+2
Fashion Designing Entrance Exam
To get admission in fashion designing colleges, one has to clear the entrance exam. Most of the colleges have their entrance exams and selection criteria. Students should fill the forms of examinations of the colleges they want to get admission in. After clearing the examination, there are also multiple selection rounds.
Some of the entrance exams are –
- NIFT Tea
- NIIFT Mohali
- Pearl Academy
Ans. If one wants to be a Fashion Designer, they should be aware of and have a good eye for Colours and Shapes. They should have certain skills such as sewing and also have Basic Qualification
Ans. Some of the subjects that you have to Study are:
1. Elements Of Fashion & Design
2. Pattern Making & Garment Construction
3. Fashion Illustration & Design
4. Textile Wet Processing
5. Fashion Art And Design
6. Textile And Apparel Testing
7. Fashion Retailing, Marketing
9. Apparel Computer-Aided Design
Ans. Yes, Fashion Designing is a good choice and it has a lucrative career. These courses considered as one of the best paying industry today, a career in Fashion Design has become famous among creative minds
Ans. Fashion designers study trends and sketch the initial clothing or accessory design. They attend trade shows or visit manufacturers to select fabrics and trims. Designers conduct fittings and adjustments on prototypes of their designs, and the end product is then marketed to clothing retailers