GRE score range can prove to be a little difficult to understand for the beginners. Simply put, there are two types of GRE exams, one is the GRE General test which is used to screen applicants for various graduate and business schools and GRE Subject test, which tests your knowledge in a particular field of study. Both the tests are scored using different score ranges. According to your score a percentile is given which tells you your result.
GRE percentiles are the best way to see how you performed on the GRE test in comparison to all the other test givers. The GRE score is determined on a range of 260 to 340, with both the verbal and quantitative components scoring 130–170.
- Note that percentile scores for the verbal and quantitative sections are different.
For example, a 168 on the GRE means the individual earned 98 in the verbal section and 95 in quantitative section. Percentile score of 75 is generally considered good for getting into the best universities.
To learn everything about GRE score and its range, read along!
Why should you give GRE Test?
The Graduate Record Examination, or GRE, is a significant stage in the application process for graduate school or business school. The GRE is a standardized multiple-choice, computer-based exam that is frequently needed for entrance to graduate schools and MBA programmes around the world.
Following are the reason for why you should give GRE:
- You’ll be in class with the finest bunch of people if you take admission on the basis of GRE test.
- GRE can help to give boost to your application.
- GRE is required for admission to some of the top universities.
- GRE prepares you for graduate school.
How Do You Find GRE Scores?
To find GRE scores you must know the process of how the score gets calculated. The GRE general exam process involves a complex calculation to get the GRE score. Each GRE section has a separate raw score that is turned into a GRE scaled score. The scaled score is used to calculate the GRE final grade or overall score.
GRE Scores are calculated in the following way:
- The number of correct answers determines the raw GRE verbal and GRE quantitative scores. After that, the raw GRE score is scaled from 130 to 170. Candidates can simply determine their GRE results by using a GRE score calculator also.
- Essays on the GRE Analytical writing assessment is graded on a six-point scale by one highly qualified Human. Then an E-rater, examines your essay once more. If the human rater and the e-rater both have equal GRE scores, the final GRE score range is the average of both.
- For instance: The overall GRE score is calculated on a GRE score range of 260 to 340. This is because both Verbal and Quantitative reasoning sections are calculated out of 130-170 each.
- Therefore, in case your score is 145 in the verbal reasoning section and 150 in Quant, then you’ll find out that your total GRE score is 295.
Also read : GRE Results And Scores
GRE Score Range
The GRE general test results range from 130 to 170 points each section. Keep in mind that your total score is based only on your Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning sections. Note that the highest possible score is 340, with cumulative values ranging from 260 to 340.
Check out the GRE score range for each section:
|GRE General test||Scored scale|
|Quantitative reasoning||130-170, in 1-point increments|
|Verbal reasoning||130-170, in 1-point increments|
|Analytical reasoning||0-6, in half-point increments|
How long is my GRE score valid?
The GRE scores are valid upto five years. In other words, if a student takes the GRE test on August 1, 2022, he or she may use those results up until July 31, 2027. Students are free to enrol in their preferred university in around five years thanks to the GRE’s validity duration. Additionally, it offers them the necessary time to retake the test if they are unhappy with their overall GRE exam score.
GRE Scores for Business School
GRE scores are also valid for Business schools. Top universities all over the world accept GRE scores for entrance and screening purpose.
GRE scores for Business School are as following:
|Rank||Business School||Average GRE score||Verbal||Quant||AWA|
|7||London School of Business||320+||–||–||–|
|8||University of California – Berkeley ( Hass)||322||161||161||4.5|
|11||New York University ( Stern)||324||163||161||4.7|
Universities in USA without GRE
GRE scores are required by the majority of Top universities in the United States. Only in exceptional circumstances GRE requirement can be waived like excellent GPA scores, brilliant professional experience, and good undergraduate research projects.
Check ou top 10 Universities in USA without GRE:
|1.||Boston University||Masters in business analytics &Master of Science in Computer Information Systems|
|2.||Northeastern University, Boston||All programs except MBA|
|3.||Oklahoma State University||Masters in biosystems & agricultural engineering|
|4.||George Mason University||Health informatics systems and civil engineering|
|5.||Washington State University||MS programs|
|6.||Villanova University||MS in Electrical Engineering|
|7.||University of Cincinnati||MS in Computer Science|
|8.||University of North Texas||MS in Data Science|
|9.||University of Florida||Arts programs|
Check out : GRE Test Centres
GRE Score Percentiles
GRE score percentile helps you in understanding how you have performed in comparioson to other people who attempted the test. To increase your chances of acceptance in the university, you should strive for a score that is equal to or slightly higher than the average for your prospective graduate school programmes. Other aspects to boost your profile can be your GPA, relevant research experience, and the quality of your recommendations and essays.
Occasionally, University programmes will not publish their average results openly. So, we have included a copy of the most recent GRE scaled score percentiles for Verbal and Quant for your reference, so that you may also calculate the GRE score as needed.
Check the table below for GRE scores:
|GRE Score||Verbal Reasoning Percentile||Quantitative Reasoning Percentile|
GRE Analytical Writing Score
In general, admissions officers have a tendency to see your GRE writing score as a “threshold.” A score below average may reduce your chances of admission, but a score over normal may not mean much more than a box to be checked.
You should prepare for GRE Analytical writing in the following way:
- According to the most recent ETS data, the average Analytical Writing Measure score is 3.58. I believe it’s preferable to group students into one of three categories:
- You would be better off spending your preparation time on the main Verbal and Quantitative portions of the GRE if you have above average scores (4.0 or higher).
- You should devote some preparation time to the analytical writing component but not more than you do for the other sections if you want to achieve slightly above average (2.5 to 3.5).
- A score in this range would be considered significantly below average (less than or equal to 2.0), and you should think about investing a lot of effort in this section’s improvement or possibly even hiring a GRE instructor.
GRE Score Percentiles for Analytical Writing
Analytical writing in the GRE exam is a major component. You should focus on all the sections to increase your chances of getting accepted in the best universities.
GRE Score Percentiles for Analytical Writing are distributed in the following way:
How Are The GRE Percentile Scores Calculated?
The GRE exam can be taken on a computer or on paper. Both the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections comprise two sections, each with 20 questions. The difficulty level in the second portion is determined by how well you did in the first. A raw score is calculated based on the number of questions you successfully answered within a segment, which is then translated into score.
Each of the two essays are assessed by an experienced and qualified reader. Then they give a score on a six-point scale. The essay also receives a computerised score from the ‘e-rater, and then the final score is given. This is done to have higher transparency and less chances of biases.
Also read : GRE Syllabus
GRE Raw Score Conversion
There are no negative marks for giving the wrong answer during any of the 40-question GRE verbal or quantitative sections. As a result, only the total number of questions that you answered correctly determines your GRE raw score.
The points you earn are adjusted based on the relative difficulty of the questions in the final score report, which scores your raw score points on a range from 130 to 170.
Following is the GRE score range conversion according to the correct answers given:
- Quant 160-165: at least 15/20 correct on each section
- Verbal 160-165: at least 12/20 correct on each section
GRE to GMAT Conversion
Standardized tests such as the GRE and GMAT are necessary for entrance to national and international business schools. The GMAT was once thought to be the finest way to assess your academic preparation for an MBA school.
The acceptability of GRE scores for MBA admissions, on the other hand, has recently increased. However, there is still a scarcity of information about GRE results for business schools. As a result, most business schools assess all applicants’ results using the GRE to GMAT score conversion procedure.
See the conversions in the table below:
|GRE Quant Score||GMAT Quant Scaled score||GMAT Quant Range (approx)||GRE Verbal Score||GMAT Verbal Scaled Score||GMAT Verbal Score Range (approx)||GRE Score||GMAT Score|
What GRE Score Is Required For Scholarship ?
A total score of 300 on the GRE is ideal. If you scored above 165 on the Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning portions, as well as 5 or more on the Analytical Writing exam, you did exceptionally well on the GRE exam. This is regarded as a very good score. There are some top universities in the United States that accept a GRE score of 310–320.
Varied courses will have different GRE score cut offs. For disciplines such as Engineering, higher GRE scores will be expected. The GRE score, together with your TOEFL/IELTS scores and undergraduate degree, will be used to determine whether or not you will be able avail a scholarship.
GRE Score Cancellation
After giving the exam before you look for your unofficial scores, you will have an option to cancel or report your scores.
Please note the following with regards GRE score cancellation:
- You’re required to cancel scores for all the sections. It is not possible to cancel score of one section and get the report for others.
- Once you have canceled your scores you do not receive a report. Additionally, you can’t review scores online.
- Also you will not get a refund.
- If you want to reinstate your score, you’ll be required to pay an additional fee.
Ans: 75percentile GRE score is considered decent, and a 90th percentile GRE score is considered great. As a result, a score of 318 or more is considered good, while a score of 329 is considered great. A score of 300 or higher is regarded average, while a score of 292 is deemed poor.
Ans: In general, the following are the GRE benchmarks for various sections: 1. Excellent Grades: With a verbal score of 163 or higher, a quantitative score of 165 or higher, and an overall score of 328 or higher, you will be among the top 10% of GRE takers. You must also have a 5.0 or higher in AWA.
Ans: 5 years
Ans: A total score of 325 or higher should help you gain admission to the best universities. For MS, however, a score of more over 300 is sufficient. Nursing: A GRE score of 305 to 316 is considered an excellent GRE score for anyone interested in nursing school admission.