The USA is everyone’s preference when it comes to studying abroad. It has some of the topmost universities which are preferred by students from all around the globe. The USA offers various courses and many which are exclusive of only certain universities.
Studying in the USA is no less than a dream. However, it does require one to take care of many things — one of them being the process of migration. The I-20 form is the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students. It is a form issued by the United States’ Department of Homeland Security and must be taken care of as it ensures that one lives peacefully and without problems in the USA.
Who is I-20 Form for?
The form is for the F and M students who come to the USA to study.
The M students are the ones who come to the USA and take admission in its universities to study a Vocational course.
The F students are the ones who come to USA and take admission to its universities to study a Language or Academic course.
Why should one get this I-20 Form?
To put it, this form is essential for a hassle-free, legal stay in the USA. One should keep this form. There are several things which this form can help one accomplish. Some of them are:
- One needs this form if they want to apply for and get a social security number or even a driver’s license.
- To pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System Fee, you must have the I-20 form from DSO at the college you have taken admission into. This fee is crucial, and without it, one cannot enter within the boundaries of USA.
- If you want to apply for a nonimmigrant visa, then you need the I-20 form too.
- And, to enter the USA, the officials will ask you to produce this form once you land from your flight.
Applying for the form
You don’t directly apply for this form, you apply to the University of your choice, and once you are accepted, they will issue you the I 20 form.
Reissuance of the Form
Although one should take care of this form and keep it secure, one may lose this form. If you lose this form, you can apply for a new form from your University. Apart from that, many other instances can happen, which may require you to apply for a new I 20 form. You can get a new I 20 form in the following cases:
- If you, by mistake, misplace or destroy the physical copy of the form.
- It can be reissued for travel endorsement as well.
- When your student’s SEVIS status changes, for example, it goes from Initial to Active, you get a new form.
- Also, if there is any major change to the student information, such as personal information, a program of study, etc., one then needs to apply for a new I 20 form.