The Madras University Distance Education is a recognized institution, known for its world-class education and a competitive faculty. One of the largest universities in Tamil Nadu, it offers courses both under Distance Learning and Open University modes.
The University of Madras has established an Institute of Distance Education to offer various distance learning courses for undergraduate, post-graduate, MBA and Diploma programs.
Established in 1981, it is a great institution to help students achieve their educational and career goals. Madras University Distance Education program has become a great alternative for students to receive the best education online.
Madras University Distance Education – Eligibility
Distance Education is a form of online learning, whereby a student not physically present at a school, corresponds with the courses via online learning.
However, the eligibility criteria are the same as other regular courses and should be fulfilled to get admission to the university.
- For B.A. courses, the students must have passed at least class 10 and a three-year diploma in the relevant specialization.
- For M.A. courses, the candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree in that subject. BBA and B.com students can also apply after fulfilling certain special conditions prescribed by the university.
- Students are considered eligible for the management courses if they have passed a relevant exam conducted by the university or hold a diploma in a relevant field.
- If a student fails to satisfy the criteria laid down by the university, their admission is automatically canceled by the management.
Madras University Distance Education program offers various bachelor’s, master’s, MBA and diploma courses to the students. The distance learning programs offered are available throughout the year for the academic session and for the calendar year session, which the students can choose depending upon their availability.
These courses are also offered to students of foreign countries.
- The University of Madras Institute of Education currently offers 97-degree programs at different levels.
- It now also offers professional and job oriented programs in collaboration with various industries to provide practical training and knowledge.
- It offers BA and MA degrees in Criminology, English, Economics, Tamil, Business Administration, Historical studies, Commerce, Bank Management, Tamil Literature, etc.
- Various certificates and diploma courses are also offered in subjects like Computer application, E-commerce, Naturopathy and Yoga Science, Taxation, Textile, and Fashion Design, Management, Hotel management and much more.
- The university also offers an MBA program in the general stream as well as an Executive MBA for working professionals.
The admission to various courses at Madras University Distance Education program is done on a first come first serve basis, with respect to the number of seats available.
The admission process can be carried out either online through the website or offline by post or in person. Admissions to UG and PG courses are done only on the basis of merit. The candidate needs to submit the application form with the details correctly filled in.
- The candidate has to submit an application fee of Rs.100 at the institution, or a fee of Rs.150 by post by a demand draft.
- The application form is to be sent to the university address along with the original copy of the required documents and certificates.
- It also offers a scholarship to SC/ST students, with reimbursement of full tuition fees and an allowance of Rs.500 for books and other essentials.
- The application for the courses in the academic session June to May must be submitted by the mid of April to avoid penalty.
- Also, the diploma and certificate courses are only offered for the academic year session (June-May).
Madras University Distance Education – Documents Required
Admission to Madras University Distance Education programs requires the student to submit an application form along with the required documents. Only the original copy of these documents should be submitted and be carefully attached to the application form.
These required documents are-
- Transfer Certificate
- Statement of Marks
- Provisional Pass Certificate/ Diploma Certificate
- Two complete sets of attested copies of the above
- One photograph each on the application form, address slip, and the reverse side of the coding sheet
- Copy of syllabus duly attested
Madras University Distance Education – Placement
The Madras University Institute of Distance Education does not have a placement cell for the students. Since it is an online form of learning and education, the University does not provide any placement facilities to the distance learning students.
The benefits of the placement cell can only be enjoyed if you are studying at the campus. However, the University does provide its student’s training, personal contact programs, and projects that offer practical experience for the benefit of the students.
The courses are also taught in a professional manner that prepares the students for top career opportunities.