The field of business dealing with sports and recreation is known as Sports Management. Sports Managers can be found working in a wide variety of fields – they can be found working for professional teams such as the
- National Football League
- National Basketball Association
- Major League Baseball
- National Hockey League
for colleges and universities, recreational departments, and sports marketing firms. They can also be working as financial, promotion or information experts, event managers, sports economists, and facility managers.
Sports management is an exciting career choice for those who want to do something in the field of sports and recreation. It is a business program that teaches about various aspects of business in the stream/field of sports and recreation.
All the concepts of management such as finance, marketing, etc are covered in this program. This course helps in understanding the business side of sports organizations. It is an interesting course and different from the league. The skills developed from the course are of immense help.
Choosing a career in sports management is a good option because the scope of the course is wide. Also, there has been a substantial growth of 13 percent in the sports sector of India leading to an increasing number of opportunities. There are multiple specializations available in sports management. Like any other degree program in sports management to a candidate can do a bachelor’s as well as a master’s degree.
Also Read: Talent Management
For those graduating from an undergraduate course in fields such as business studies, leisure, and tourism, or sports science, sports management would be a good step in career for their future. Offering a chance to gain insight into the sector and operations, the course invites applications from graduates of a wide range of disciplines who aim to enter a range of sports management careers.
Also Read: Vocational Courses
What is Sports Management?
Sports management is a degree program of management in the field of sports. It is linked with the concepts and topics of management such as finance and marketing and how they are applied in various sports organizations. It has different aspects.
Definition: According to DeSensi, Kelley, Blanton, and Beitel -“Sports management involves any combination of skills related to planning, organizing, directing, controlling, budgeting, leading, and evaluating within the context of an organization or department whose primary product or service is related to sport or physical activity.”
Sports management courses
The sports management field is very recent. Due to the popularity of sports, sports management courses or programs are becoming increasingly popular. Various institutions are offering courses in sports management. These courses help in better understanding the subject matter and give a detailed analysis of the same. There are a variety of options for the students to choose from. Here I have mentioned the details of the bachelor course in sports management and the details of the topmost master’s course in sports management.
Candidates who opt for the course of bachelor’s in sports management acquire the skills of applying critical thinking in the field of sports. They learn about a lot of things directly proportional to sports. They learn how to manage sports events and leagues. The course also provides an understanding of different activities associated with sports.
Bachelors of sports management (BSM) is a degree which offers knowledge about concepts such as:
- Sports Law
- Sports history
- Sport marketing
- Sport event management
- Sport facility management
- Ethical and legal issues in management
The duration of the course is for three years. It is most apt for aspirants who want to get associated with sports leagues and events.
The key features of the course are:
- Recognized by the University of Mumbai
- Offers specialization in coaching
- Opportunities for good placements with reputed companies
- Hands-on practical experience
Some of the top universities/ colleges offering the BSM course are:
- International institute of sports management, Maharashtra
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
- George college, West Bengal
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of technology
- National academy of sports management
Also Read: Psychology Courses
There are 3 types of Masters in Sports Management:
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA) in Sports Management which allows one to focus on occupying management positions and developing business skills.
- Masters of Science in Sports Management which helps in developing the skills required to become an administrator, head coach, or manager.
- Masters of Science in Sports Management that helps in becoming a health and fitness expert who works with athletes and teams to prevent and treat injuries.
Specializing and becoming an expert in any particular sports management field can be made possible with a Masters in Sports Management which is more intense and build on the general knowledge gained at the undergraduate level.
Some of the best Sports Management schools in the world are: –
- AISTS (International Academy of Sport Science and Technology), in Switzerland
- The University of Massachusetts Amherst, in the US
- The University of Bayreuth, in Germany
- KEDGE Business School, in France
- University College Dublin, in Ireland
Skills and knowledge pertaining to a wide spectrum relating to business and management, fitness and wellness, public relations, ethics, law, research leading to a wide range of potential roles from legal advisers to sports agents.
Depending on your professional goal, one can decide whether a sports management degree would be worth it or not. To be successful in this industry, one has to be passionate about both sports as well as business.
Most of the jobs in the Sports Management sector involve communication with people and coordinating between them. If you don’t feel comfortable in a public surrounding having to handle a lot of people and managing and coordinating between them, then this might not be an ideal job for you, however, if you are passionate about both sports as well as the managerial responsibilities that come along with it, then this might be the right fit for you.null
Sports management in MBA
An MBA in sports management helps in developing distinct skills such as business administration, critical thinking, marketing, finance, etc. Through this course, the candidate gets real-life experience. It is a two-year program for sports fanatics. India is one of the emerging niches for sports management which is why choosing this course is a wise choice. Here are the eligibility criteria for MBA in sports management:
- Minimum 50% marks in 10th and 12th.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with a minimum of 50% marks.
- The minimum score in entrance examinations such as CAT/MAT/GMAT/IIFT/SNAP/GMT etc.
Subjects of MBA in sports management:
- Public speaking
- Organization and management in sports
- Sponsorship and broadcasting
- Sports medicine and nutrition
- Foundations of amateur and professional sports
- Ethics in sports
- Managing sports events
- Funding in sports
Skills required in order to pursue this program:
- Effective communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Presentation skills
There is no shortage of jobs in sports management. The scope as discussed above is wide and there are multiple organizations hiring candidates for filling the positions.
Some of the different profiles are:
- Sports managers
- Sports teacher
- Lecturer of sports
- Sports instructor
- Sports in-charge
- Sports agents
- Sports marketing manager
- Sports event manager
Sports Management Courses Abroad
Since it is a popular subject there are a number of courses available in sports management in other countries also.
Best countries to pursue sports management courses:
- The UK
Nationals Academy Of Sports Management
It is an institute dedicated to creating professionals in the field of sports management. The admissions could be done online through the official website of the institute. It is one of the first institutes to offer a sports management degree in India. It is thus very popular in this field.
The courses offered at the institute are:
- Bachelors of sports management
- Post-graduation diploma in management
- Masters in sports management and others.
Nationals Academy Of Sports Management (Admissions)
- The admission is given on a merit basis
- The candidate must go through the interview and other rounds
- A candidates personality is checked by the officials
- Photocopy of 10th, 12th, and graduation mark sheet
- 3 passport size photographs
- Exam hall ticket
- Experience certificate
Colleges Of Sports Management Abroad
- The University of South Wales.
- New York University.
- Ball State University.
- The University of Wolverhampton.
- The University of Gloucestershire.
- The University of Central Lancashire.
- Texas A and M University-College Station.
- West Virginia University.
Sports Management as a Career
- The field is a good career choice due to the increase in the growth of sports organizations by 13%.
- The average salary of sports management in India is INR 36,000 per month. It increases with the experience.
- The scope of the field is wide due to the increase in demand for sports management roles. Such as a sports manager. Sports event manager, sports teacher, etc.
Given below are the highest paid jobs in sports management:
- Sports promoter
- Sports marketing manager
- Athletic director
- Athletic Trainer
Sports Management helps the Students who wanna make a career in sports, it helps them get a Business perspective through Sports.
Sports management professionals work as team managers, athletic directors, sports agents and recruiters, marketing and PR professionals, and more.
The field of business dealing with sports and recreation is known as Sports Management. Sports Managers can be found working in a wide variety of fields
If the Individual has an interest in Sports and Community engagement,
sports management is an excellent choice. Sports Management has a wide range in the Sports field. It is a profitable and consistent industry