University Of Northern British Columbia
About University of Northern British Columbia
University of Northern British Columbia was officially created in June 1990, when the members of the British Council legislative assembly passed the UNBC Act. This university being Canada’s one of the best small universities is located in the spectacular landscape of northern British Columbia. University provides the students, outstanding learning opportunities for the graduate and the undergraduate level. Students get to explore fields like culture, economies, science, environment, health, and many more. In addition to its academic excellence, it is a welcoming place where the learning environment is very supportive, inclusive, and friendly.
University of Northern British Columbia Campus
This University is both in the North and for the North. The campus is well known for its innovative architecture. The campus is home to the Wood Innovation and Design Centre that was built by Michael Green Architect, the popular architecture company.
The students are provided with the basic facilities that are required by the students. The campus has different science buildings, different laboratories for different subjects, and a library.
University of Northern British Columbiacampus is divided into one main campus and three regional campuses.The main campus is named Prince George, This campus is located on the unceded traditional territory of Lheidli T’enneh, a part of the Dakelh First Nation. This campus has its address as - 333, University Way Prince George, British Columbia.
Among the regional campuses, we have the Peace River-Liard Campus, Northwest Campus, and the South-Central Campus.
- Peace River-Liard Campus: This campus in Fort St.John has its location in Treaty 8 Territory. This is located in the Dane-zaa peoples of the River first Nation. This campus has its address as Boc 1000, 9820-120th Avenue, Fort St. John, British Columbia.
- Northwest Campus: This campus in Terrace is located on the traditional Ts’msyen territory of the Kitsumkalum and Kitselas First Nation. It has a satellite campus in the Coastal community, Prince Rupert situated on the traditional Tsimshian Territory. This campus has its address as 4837, Keith Avenue Terrace, British Columbia.
- South-Central Campus: This campus in Quesnel has its location on the unceded traditional lands of the Lhtako Dene NationNazko First Nation, and Lhoosk’uz Dene Nation. This campus has its address as S100-100 Campus Way, Quesnel, British Columbia.
University of Northern British Columbia - Rankings
In a span of seven years, UNBC has been placed on the list of the top universities in Canada based on the rankings that are published in Maclean’s Magazine.
- UNBC was placed in the 1 position in the rankings of 2016 and 2017 and has a good score in different areas like the students, awards, student-to-faculty ratio, and it has been ranked 2 between the years 2017 and 2019.
- In 2017 made its debut on the prestigious Time Higher Education World University Rankings. It was placed in the group that ranked 801st to 1000th.
- This University is among the 4 British Columbia universities that have been included in the rankings of the Top 50 Research Universities produced by Research Infosource.
- It has ranked 31 in best global universities by US new and World Report, 2021 and also ranked 41 in the national ranking by CWUR, 2021-2022.
- It has ranked 201-250 in the Young Universities Ranking in 2021, by Times Higher Education.
University of Northern British Columbia - Acceptance rate
University of Northern British Columbia acceptance rate is designated to be 70-75%. It allows or admits applicants who have excellent leadership skills and also showcase exceptional academic prowess.
University of Northern British Columbia - Students
Students of the university comprise both international students as well as the native ones. The total number of international students makes upto 11% of the total number of students and this makes the university a really diverse one. The University of Northern British Columbia has over 4253 students enrolled. The total number of undergraduates sum up to 3524 and 736 students are doing graduate courses in UNBC. there are nearly 400 International students from more than 40 countries, who have enrolled at the University of Northern British Columbia.
University of Northern British Columbia - Faculty
The Faculty Members of the University include those from the different departments of Environmental sciences, health, engineering, GeographyMental health, Neurosciences, and many more. There are a total of 371 faculty members at the University of Northern British Columbia. The faculty members try to give the learners in-depth information, knowledge, perspective, and outstanding education about different aspects like rural health care, business, and economics. The faculty members also study and teach and experience different systems that vary in size and scope from DNA to mountains. They help in the preparation of a promising and rewarding career in the different work sectors.
Moreover, many professionals from the industry visit the university campus for different practical workshops, guest lectures, along with interactive sessions.
University of Northern British Columbia - Achievements and Rewards
This university is on the list of the 50 best small universities in the country has received numerous awards for the environmental initiatives that it has taken. The campus has been rewarded the Campus Sustainability Leadership Award for a clean and green campus city, in the year 2010 on 13th October.
Now coming to the achievements, it hosts the National Collaborating Centre for Indigenous Health. It is home to a number of research institutes. These institutes include Natural Resources and Environmental Studies Institute. It also maintains two forests used for research purposes and also the Quesnel River Research Centre.
University of Northern British Columbia - Scholarships
There are a number of scholarships, awards, and grants that are made available for the students of the university of Northern British Columbia
- Ann McQuaid Memorial Scholarship needs the criteria of at least 30 credit hours towards undergraduate in Arts and Social Sciences. The student receiving the scholarship will have a demonstrable record of leadership, involvement, and community services.
- Education Future International Scholarship for the bachelors and masters for all the courses. This scholarship provides you with partial funding and is applicable for all the USA and non-USA colleges or universities.
- Aspire-Canada Scholarship Program is a partial funding program that is applicable for any subject in Canadian University. This is open to all nationalities especially available for international students.
- UNBC Graduate Entrance Scholarships(GSS) provides full funding and for all the programs offered by the university. This offers full funding for a student presently studying in any of the Canadian colleges. It is especially for the students pursuing masters and Ph.D. in different courses offered by the university.
University of Northern British Columbia- Highlights
Size of the campus
333, University Way Prince George, British Columbia
How to apply for the University of Northern British Columbia
The level of difficulty of the admission procedure is non-competitive and therefore any applicant can well expect a decent acceptance level. University of Northern British Columbia accepts applications from all countries. The entire procedure for admission is based on the comparison of credential standards. The applicants whose first language is not English should be able to practice a considerable level of proficiency in this language.
Following are the steps to apply for University of Northern British Columbia :
- For the process of admission to UNBC, an applicant needs to submit the completed application form with the required documentation and the fees to the Registrar’s Office.
- The online application form is made available on the official website of UNBC.
- For receiving an application form you should contact the registrar’s office via mail, phone.
- This university allows all its applicants to opt for the ideal course suited for the individual. The courses include subjects ranging from Arts to Medical programs.
- The complete fee required for the admission procedure is 153 CAD.
Applicants must complete their education from a relevant high school or any other institute of post-secondary education so as to be considered for admission. The applicants must be in good standing and also be well proficient in English. UNBC has country-specific criteria for admission, so the requirements according to India are:
Eligibility for Undergraduate Admission
- Students must have a class 12 result from a recognized board called ISC, GCSE and AISSCE, and other boards.
- Students have a minimum average grade of 50% or higher in English and also three other subjects.
- Students who have a three-year diploma issued by a state board shall also be accepted.
- The test score for any one of the English proficiency tests should be higher than the minimum score.
Eligibility for Graduate Admission
- The students should have an academic qualification from a recognized institution certificated by NAAC.
- The grade in the certificate should be a grade of A or a better one.
- GMAT and GRE may be required as per the selection of the course.
- The test score for any one of the English proficiency tests should be higher than the minimum score that is required by the university.
Admission requirements for the University of Northern British Columbia
The documents that are required for the admission procedure are mentioned in the table given below.
Transcripts that include both official and non-official transcripts
Scores of Admission tests
Different other Supporting documents like the identity proof
Masters in the University of Northern British Columbia
Masters in the University of Northern British Columbia includes many courses under it. Some of the courses that are included under the master’s degree are M.A. that has 7 courses, M.E./M.Tech that has 1 course, MS that has 6 courses, MIM that has 3 courses. The average fees that are required for the above-mentioned courses range from CAD 5.25K to CAD 6.66K.
Bachelors in the University of Northern British Columbia
Bachelors in the University of Northern British Columbia also includes many courses that are listed under it. Some of the courses that are included under the bachelor’s degree are BBA that has 8 courses, B.Sc that has 16 courses, B.E./B.Tech that has 7 courses. The average fees that are required for the above-mentioned courses vary from CAD 22.02K TO 27.89K.
MBA in the University of Northern British Columbia
The MBA program includes the cost of the courses, the majority of the classroom materials, and catering during the class sessions. MBA has two courses that have a duration of 21 months to four years. The average fee required for the course is CAD15000- CAD162000. This fee is much affordable than the fees that are required to study MBA in other countries. The completion of an MBA typically requires two to three years.
Life at University of Northern British Columbia
- Here in UNBC, every student feels a sense of community
- The people there truly know how to work hard and strive for excellence along with playing hard
- The international students feel welcome as soon as they step into the campus of UNBC
- FNC provides holistic support services for the students, staff as well as the faculty
- At UNBC, the newcomers are given a week of activities so that they along with their families become habituated with the new campus, its services and also meet new friends and classmates
Accommodation at University of Northern British Columbia
Accommodation in the UNBC is of two types namely, on-campus and off-campus accommodation. The students can stay in any one of them depending upon the availabilities of the accommodations and also the ease of the student.
University of Northern British Columbia on-campus accommodation
- On-campus accommodation is available
- It is only a minute away from the main campus and can be reached by walking
- UNBC provides a clean, attractive, comfortable, safe living and learning experience
- The residential buildings are home to all the students studying at the university
- The accommodation fee is $2476 and the meal plan is $2585 for each semester
University of Northern British Columbia off-campus accommodation
- Off-campus accommodation is available
- The average rent is 600/700 USD for each month
- The residence type includes shared apartments, studio apartments, three-bedroom apartments, and many other types
- The residential areas are also equipped with basic amenities like the cable, fridge, microwave, dishes, and wifi
- These residential areas are located very near to the stores and markets so that the basic needs can be fulfilled
Career at University of Northern British Columbia
The faculty at UNBC strive hard to include services like offering workshops to help the students in their preparation for employment, arranging for the recruitment of the employer, arranging for informative sessions for the students, participating in the career fairs that are held each year. The faculty also helps out the students with different career opportunities, different full-time and part-time jobs, and co-operative education work.
Jobs after studying at the University of Northern British Columbia
After you complete the entire duration of the course you are pursuing, you are eligible to get into jobs so as to start earning and gaining experience. Your job search can be for any reason- It might be an essential requirement or maybe a way to pay for your degree. UNBC always helps you out with job offers. Some of the jobs are research associates, administrative manager, postdoctoral fellow, and many more.
Placements at University of Northern British Columbia
After completing the different courses the students are now ready to undergo the placement process. Different candidates are placed at different grid steps. Appeals regarding placement at different grid cells are considered by the committee and then the final decision is made. For the placement procedure, the candidates need to have a resume that is prepared beforehand and also a cover letter that will contain information such as the arguments related to the shifting of the allocated grid cell.
University of Northern British Columbia Notable Alumni
The alumni hold a different place in the UNCB Community.
Some of the notable Alumni are:
- Kyle Blais: Relationship Manager
- Isabella Wilson-Beaulieu: Clinical Application Analyst Nurse
- Chantal Craig: General Manager
- Dhruv Desai: Informatics Lead
- Mathew Bock: Manager, Strategic Policy
Colleges related to the University of Northern British Columbia
Some of the colleges that are related to the UNCB are :
- The College of New Caledonia
- Coast Mountain College
- Northern Lights College