SOURCE: Parth Vijayvergiya
To study abroad for post-graduation, a student needs to submit a number of documents. An SOP for MS in Data Science is one of the important documents that are to be taken care of.
An SOP is an essay that the students have to write defining their ambitions and motivations to study in a particular university. Universities expect students to be creative and unique and analyze their personality through the SOP.
Also Read: How to do Masters in Data Science in Canada?
How to write an SOP for MS in Data Science
MS program in Data Science is a program that helps students learn how to build data-driven systems. Data Science graduates have a number of career options as they can work as a consultant, data scientist, or data analyst in top companies and industries.
A well-written SOP can help you establish yourself as a deserving candidate for pursuing the course in the university of your choice. Since it is an essay that determines your admission to a university, it should reflect your personality clearly.
Here are a few points on how to write a good SOP–
- The tone of the essay should be formal and official as it is to be read by the administrative staff of the university.
- You can also write your SOP in a narrative tone that will keep the reader interested.
- Having an interesting start to your essay helps maintain the attention of the person reading it. Make it clear and catchy.
- The essay should be creative and original; it shouldn’t be disrespected in any way.
- Most of the universities specify the word limit for the essay which should be strictly adhered to.
- If the word limit is not specified, you can keep the word count to a maximum of 1,000 words.
- Keep the essay crisp and to the point without engaging in too much detail.
- Don’t spend too much time formatting your essay to make it look fancy, that will not make a positive impression on the reader.
- Be honest in your essay
- The language of the essay should be simple and easy to understand. However, you can add some scholarly words to make a good impression.
Also Read: Data Science Syllabus
Sample SOP for MS in Data Science
Ever since my childhood, I have been a curious and eager child. Computers have been the biggest part of my life. Now with each passing year, my interest has grown manifolds. I am particularly interested in studying data science since I realized that it can be used to develop marketing models and that companies these days are starting to analyze big datasets to measure consumers’ product preferences and make use of it to determine their future sales.
The multi-disciplinary field of data science combines computer science with probability, statistics, analysis and management skills. Data science is also the answer to the most complex business and practical questions. I believe that data science is the future of Artificial intelligence and it is beneficial to learn about it more to cater to my interests. I hope to use the knowledge I will gain from my masters’ degree to perform meaningful analysis of large sets of data.
I have been intensively involved in learning maths throughout my education and had a particular interest in the subject. I am familiar with concepts such as multivariable calculus, elementary statistics, and probability theory. I have also studied data structures which were the beginning of my interest and played a crucial role in forming my choices.
I have interned at two different firms that specialized in performing data analytics task to help research for companies aiming to start new projects. My project made extensive use of python and C++ and I have learned a lot about these programming languages during my internship. I had to analyze real-time purchasing and location data to determine the preferences of potential consumers. I wish to use my knowledge and skills in data science to provide well-sustained research and analysis for companies.
Throughout my graduation and practical work experience, I was fortunate to gain some required experience in the domain of analytics. I believe that curiosity and eagerness to learn can take you places. I wish to learn everything I can in the field of data science as I believe there is still a long way to go for me.
This masters’ program will thus be a step towards achieving my dreams. This program will train me in different methods of statistical analysis, and programming knowledge needed to continue with my goal to provide research for companies. (University name) has been my dream institute to pursue this course as I wish to take the benefits of the expert knowledge provided by the skilled faculty of the university.
Through this degree, I aim to enhance my knowledge and expertise in programming and mathematics. After completing my MS, I wish to get into the field of Health analytics as I believe that the medical industry will be subjected to change and growth with technological advancement. The practical knowledge will give me the technical expertise to pursue my career as a data scientist.
Also Read:Masters in Data Science in Ireland
Writing an SOP for MS in Data Science
Writing an SOP may seem like a tiresome and hard task, but once you get clarity on what you should write in the essay, it will be easy to work on. Before writing the essay, formulate your ideas and organize them in a structural way.
It is better to write a rough draft and proofread the sample time and again to avoid any mistakes. It is the most important part of your documents and should be written carefully and attentively.
- Write about what interests you and why you chose to pursue data science.
- You can also write about your choice of a particular university and what attracts you to it.
- Write a bit about yourself, mention how your school and extracurricular activities have enhanced your overall personality.
- Write about any past work experiences and contributions.
- Write about your qualities and skills that make you a good candidate for the course.
- You should also mention your short term and long term goals, and how you aspire to achieve them.
- Mention your views or outlook regarding a certain issue that you may feel is important.
- Do not write about anything that has no relevance to your course or interests.
- Mention how the program will help you in achieving your future goals.
- Do not be overconfident about yourself in writing your SOP. Make it subtle and write about the achievements that made you do better.
Ans. A Statement of Purpose is an essay mentioning your goals and aspirations. It is an important document that is to be given special attention as it is read by the administrative staff of the university.
Ans. A university analyses a student’s capabilities, knowledge and personality through reading their SOP. It determines whether a student is a deserving candidate for the university.
Ans. You don’t need to include an impressive vocabulary to make yourself look good. The universities look for creative and unique minds and so focus on making your essay original and catchy.
Ans. Write an impressive and catchy beginning. Divide your essay into various paragraphs with understandable content and a conclusion. Make it comprehensible.
Ans. Write about yourself and your goals that motivate you. You can talk about your interests and passions and your reasons for your choice of university and course. Write it in a narrative tone that will engage the reader and raise their curiosity.
Ans. Never plagiarise your work. Be unique, creative and honest. Do not lie. Copied essays will have a negative impact on the reader and may affect your admission process.
Ans. Most of the universities mention the word count that is to be followed. It usually ranges from 500-1,000 words or the length of two A4 size pages.
Ans. There is no definite way to write your SOP. Keep in mind the Do’s and Don’ts of a good essay and use your imagination and personal experiences to write it in your own way. It is a reflection of yourself and should highlight your uniqueness.