Everyone needs money, and most people want more of it. If you’re a college or grad student or hoping to be, you probably want a lot of money to help pay for school, and that’s where scholarships come in. But getting a scholarship isn’t as easy as you would hope, and most require you to write an essay in support of your application.
A scholarship essay isn’t easy to master, and it can be a challenge to create one that will stand out from the crowd. You need an essay that is going to earn you top dollar, and that means doing everything you can to beat out the competition. You might have hundreds, or even thousands, of competitors, so your essay needs to be the best.
Also Read: 8 Cheapest Countries to Study Abroad- 2020
To help you stand out, we have a few tips to make your essay one of a kind.
- Write from the heart. The first and most obvious tip is to make sure that you are writing from the heart. When you are honest and sharing your true self, your passion will show threw. If you try too hard to be someone you are not or write what you think others want to hear rather than what you truly believe, that level of fakeness will show through. Scholarship administrators have read thousands of essays and they can tell a real essay from one that is written to meet what an applicant thinks they want to hear. Be yourself and be honest in order to achieve the best results with your essay.
- Write what you know. Similarly, you should write about your own personal experiences from your own knowledge. Authenticity requires experience, and that means not trying to fake facts or embellish stories. Tell the application evaluators about who you really are, not what you researched using Google. They have Google, too, and can also look up all the facts about poverty in third world countries. Give them your own experiences rather than random data to show that you are a real person and not just a research robot.
- Be sure to read the question carefully. Scholarship essay questions tend to be pretty broad, but that doesn’t mean that they have no rules at all about how to write them. Be sure you have reviewed the question carefully in order to evaluate fully what you need to write about. Your essay needs to be on-topic so it doesn’t end up getting tossed aside in favor of an applicant who wrote about the right topic.
- Don’t settle for your first draft. It can be tempting to dash off as many scholarship essays as possible and hope that by spamming the field and applying to everything, something will stick. However, this strategy will simply give you low chances across many scholarships instead of raising your chances among those you are best qualified for. Take your time and carefully review and revise your essay to make sure that you have created the best essay you possibly can. No essay is at its best after just one draft, so plan ahead so you can have the time you need to fully revise your essay and to rewrite sections as needed so your paper can be as strong as it can be.
- Take inspiration from great essays. Read essays to learn what makes good essays work. There are many collections of award-winning essays, and these can be effective tools to help you develop your writing skills. When you read good writing, you develop a better sense of the best approach to specific writing situations. Just be careful to make sure that you don’t plagiarize or create an essay that is too close to one of the sample essays you read. More than a few applicants have been caught plagiarizing their scholarship essays over the years.
- When all else fails, turn to the pros. If you are well and truly stuck and don’t know the best way to develop your scholarship essay, turning to a professional might be the way to go. A professional essay writer can create a sample scholarship essay for you to show you the right way to approach your topic and to put your best foot forward. Find a service you feel comfortable with and tell them to “write my scholarship essay for me”. Once you do, you’ll be excited to see the great results!