Source: BBHCSD Media
Basically, STEM programs in the USA are the degree courses in the fields related to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths. It is predicted that the US would experience a shortage of workforce in advanced areas related to these designated fields.
According to the data provided by the US Department of Labor, the number of jobs available in the STEM areas would be close to 1.2 million, however, the studies show that there would be a deficit of suitably qualified candidates to take up these positions.
This indicates that there’s a growing need to encourage students to study and take up careers in these designated fields. It is necessary to keep a pipeline ready for the next generation of STEM professionals.
List of STEM programs in the USA in 2019
Here’s a representative list of the degree programs included under STEM:
Computer and Information Sciences
Forensic Science and Technology
Military Applied Sciences
There is more to this list. You can choose from over 300 programs. There are many courses offered in the areas related to Science and technology touch almost every aspect of our lives. It is important that you should choose the right specialization that you are interested in. STEM has an immense opportunity and can provide you with the best jobs.
List of STEM subjects
As you are aware of STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and mathematics, however, a far wider range of academic disciplines fall under this category. Here’s a list of few of the other STEM courses which you could choose to study:
Veterinary Preventive Medicine Epidemiology and Public Health
Veterinary Infectious Diseases
Eligibility for STEM programs in the USA
To fit the bill for the two year STEM OPT augmentation, you should:
- Be in F-1 status
- Be as of now working in a time of post-fruition OPT
- Have a four-year certification or higher degree in a qualified STEM field
- You might be qualified to utilize an earlier STEM degree earned in the U.S. for this necessity; to utilize an earlier STEM degree, you should:
- Have gotten your latest degree (which shouldn’t be STEM-related) from an as of now certify Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)
- The qualifying STEM degree must be on the Department of Homeland Security’s STEM Designated Degree Program List at the time you present your STEM OPT expansion application (as opposed to at the time you got the degree).
How to Apply to STEM programs in USA?
Candidates with a STEM degree and right now in the year OPT period:
- Confirm whether your year OPT data is right
- Once you know that your current location and business data is right, you can continue to Step 2.
- If it is the case that chance that your current location and business data isn’t right, you must present a 12-Month OPT Report. (Do not ask for another I-20 in the year OPT report webform; simply present the data changes. You will ask for another I-20 in for a different two-year STEM OPT I-20 ask for webform beneath).
- ISS must assure the year OPT data in your SEVIS record is specific and refreshed before preparing your STEM OPT I-20 to ask.
- Candidate needs to complete and present the STEM OPT Extension I-20 Request to ISS Finished I-765 Form
- It is alright to leave the E-Verify field empty in the I-765 Form in this circumstance. ISS keeps up a list of bosses who don’t share the E-Verify number with university experts on the grounds which the businesses will present the OPT expansion application for their workers. It may happen thaton the off chance, your manager isn’t on the rundown, your ISS consultant may get in touch or contact you to request an affirmation letter from your boss that states their strategy.
- Pay the $200 Post-Completion Training charge after August 17, 2018. Make assured to spare a duplicate of your email receipt – you will be required to submit a duplicate with your STEM OPT Extension I-20 ask.
- Submit the STEM OPT Extension I-20 Request to ISSonline only.
What is the Importance of STEM Courses in the USA?
In United States professions related to the STEM fields are considered to be of high importance due to many reasons. The future of the country and the economic, scientific, technological and other progress, in the long run, is directly or indirectly related to these areas.
The United States has been regarded as the global leader in fields related to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths. A concentrated effort to encourage more students to take up future positions in these designated areas is necessary as it is important to sustain this competitive society.
Education in this field cultivates a spirit of inquiry. Students are encouraged to think logically and come up with innovative ideas. Besides, exploratory learning and a problem-solving mindset are developed among students which are the foundation for our future. The STEM education will help to bring up the next generation scientists, architects, engineers, and educators.
Additionally, these fields are the basic foundation of scientific and technological innovations which is the key to our prosperity. Improvement of quality of life is an essential component of a competitive society.
A competitive society like the US economy requires more professionals in these fields. USA has been encouraging efforts to increase the number of majors in the STEM. USA recognizes the importance of the STEM courses and it has has been emphasized by the USA.
What about International Students and STEM programs in the USA?
STEM has a wide scope on the global front. In the bigger picture, the international students and workers also play a significant role. Many international students have successful start-ups.
Numerous job opportunities have increased due to this. International students who perform well are offered jobs and retained in the country after graduation. Top talents are retained by offering better opportunity and better policies.
The total of the foreign-born workers already makes up about 17 percent of the domestic STEM workforce. This percentage increases up to 25 percent in certain areas like Life and Physical Science occupation.
What are the Benefits and Advantages of STEM programs in the USA for the students?
These are the advantages of STEM programs in the USA for students:
1. STEM Extension for F1 students in the USA
STEM students who are on an F1 visa can opt to work in the U.S. If a student opts to work in the U.S. under the 12 month OPT could extend it by 24 months. For this students should be employed by those employers who participate in E-Verify.
2. Better job opportunities
Students pursuing courses related to STEM will get better job opportunities in the U.S. The number of STEM-related occupations is expected to grow at a higher rate in the United States. It is not only that they have better job opportunities they also have an opportunity to earn higher.
3. Higher remuneration
STEM students have a better job opportunity. A student who holds a degree in the STEM field generally earns a higher salary than those who’ve graduated in non-STEM related fields.
4. Launch your startup
It is seen that graduates of STEM programs have been successful in establishing their own start-ups. For being successful you have to be creative and innovative.
Students from a STEM field are trained to think of creative ways to develop your own software or your new app or create a gadget. Read here about the Top 10 Scholarships in the USA for Indian Students.
Choose the right STEM program in USA. All the best!
- Culinary-Arts Colleges In California
- Cyber-Security Colleges In California
- Dance Colleges In California
- Data-And-Analytics Colleges In California
- Dentistry Colleges In California
- Design Colleges In California
- Drama Colleges In California
- Economics Colleges In California
- Electrical-Engineering Colleges In California
- Electronics Colleges In California