Canada is one of the most popular countries among Indian students for pursuing an MBA degree. MBA in Canada is a two-year program that opens doors for many lucrative careers. An MBA degree from Canada is also considered one of the top subjects with the highest graduate salaries for Indian students. According to the 2018 QS World University Rankings, Canada is home to seven of the world’s top 150 institutions. In addition to being one of the safest places to live in the world and the world’s most educated country,
Why Study MBA in Canada?
MBA in Canada comes with a wide array of opportunities for Indian students. Following are some of the reasons why Indian students prefer Canada over other countries:
- A simple immigration policy, high-earning jobs, a multicultural environment, and an easy procedure for getting permanent residency
- According to the QS MBA Rankings (2020), nine Canadian universities are among the top 150 globally for MBA.
- A business degree from Canada is one of the top ten courses with the highest graduation wages in the world.
- All overseas students who wish to settle with a work visa favour Canada because of its welcoming employment rules.
Types of MBA in Canada
Many different types of MBA degrees are available in Canada to meet the needs, interests, and criteria of overseas students.
The following are a few of them:
- Full time MBA
- Part time MBA
- Executive MBA
- International MBA
MBA in Canada for Indian students Admissions
Students must start the application process for an MBA in Canada at least 1-2 years in advance. This allows the candidate to study for the GMAT and IELTS examinations and do well on them.
The methods below will assist you in planning your study schedule for an MBA application in Canada:
- Prepare for common admission exams for all colleges, such as TOEFL/ IELTS, GMAT/ GRE.
- Investigate universities, their requirements, and available housing options in light of your financial situation.
- Look for scholarships based on your nation or merit and apply to the programme that best fits your needs.
- Make Statement of Purpose, Personal Essays, and Resumes.
- Examine all required papers and begin applying for MBA programmes at the colleges of your choice.
- Prepare for your interview if you are chosen.
- Notify and acknowledge the admission letter from the university where you desire to pursue your course.
- After you pay the price, you will get an enrolling confirmation.
- Apply for a student visa in Canada.
Best MBA colleges in Canada for Indian Students
Some of the top business schools of Canada rank amongst the QS top Global MBA rankings 2021. International students can pursue various MBA programs in Canada.
Following is the table for the best colleges in Canada for MBA with course duration and fees:
|Colleges||Duration||Fees (in CAD)|
|Desautels Faculty of Management||20 Months||122,195|
|Ivey Business School||12 Months||120,500|
|Rotman School of Management||16 Months||131,120|
|John Molson School of Business||16-24 Months||47,900|
|Alberta School of Business||2 Years||60,000|
|Haskayne School of Business||20 Months||36,420|
|HEC Montréal||12 Months||55,000|
|The Stephen J.R Smith School of Business||16 Months||102,100|
|Sauder School of Business||16 Months||90,057|
|Schulich School of Business||20 Months||106,900|
Check Out: MBA in Canada without GMAT
Eligibility for Studying MBA in Canada
The eligibility criteria for pursuing MBA in Canada may vary from university to university, the basic eligibility for MBA in Canada for Indian students is mentioned below:
- Bachelor’s degree: Students who wish to pursue MBA should have a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized institution.
- Work experience: The candidate must have relevant work experience as stated by the universities. Universities give preference to students who have work experience. It is not a mandatory requirement, but it helps students stand out among others.
- Language Proficiency: If candidates belong to countries where the first language is not English, they need to prove English Language Proficiency. They need to present scores from English Language Proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS or PTE.
- GMAT: Students need to secure a good GMAT score to get accepted at top Canadian universities. Students must check the minimum score requirements of the university they are planning to apply to before taking the test.
MBA in Canada for Indian Students fees
The average MBA tuition fee in Canada is around $30000 – $40000. This amount varies depending on the program one selects and the university. Here is a list of top universities and their MBA fees structure.
Cost of Living In Canada
The cost of accommodation, books and stationery, food, transport, and so on are covered under the living costs for an international student. The cost of accommodation varies highly as per the area and type of accommodation a student selects. This might slightly vary depending on the university and the city the international student decides to reside in.
The average costs of basic expenses are listed below:
- Pre-arrival Costs
- Program Application Fee: USD 76 – 136 (Depends on the university)
- Visa Application Fees: USD 178
- Health Insuranc: USD 10000
- IELTS fees: USD 185-190
- TOEFL fees: USD 160-250
- Airfare: USD 450-1400
- Post-arrival Costs
- Books and Materials: USD 1500/year
- Food and Beverages: USD 3000-5000/year
- Rent: USD 4500-10000/year
- Other expenses: USD 78-163/month
- Clothing: USD 40/month
- Utilities: USD 400/month
- Entertainment: USD 80-160/month
Check Out: Cost of living in Canada
Is GMAT required for MBA in Canada?
Most reputed universities of Canada require applicants to submit the GMAT score to get accepted. There are many universities that accept students without GMAT and are known for their quality education and affordable fee structure. Students can apply for MBA without GMAT, given that they fulfil all other admission requirements like IELTS scores, interviews, MBA essays, etc., amongst others.
Other essential requirements include:
- GPA of 3.0 or more in the bachelor’s degree
- Work experience of minimum 2 years if you have a 4-year bachelor’s degree or work experience of 3 years if you have a 3-year bachelor’s degree.
- Letters of Recommendation
Scholarship For MBA in Canada
Indian students who are planning to study MBA in Canada can get partially or completely supported scholarships. Students can apply for various fully-funded scholarships and university scholarships that can cover their tuition fees. Canada attracts international students from all over the world for higher education programs like Masters, Doctorates, PhDs, etc.
The following list highlights some of the best scholarships for students planning to study in Canada.
- Haskayne School of Business MBA in Canada Scholarships
- Ivey MBA Scholarships in Canada
- Alberta MBA Scholarships
- Sauder School of Business Scholarships
- Rotman School of Management Scholarship
- Schulich School of Business Scholarships
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program
1 year MBA in Canada for Indian Students
More and more students prefer MBA since it is an emerging career option that opens doors for incredible job opportunities for students. Taking up a one year MBA in Canada can help students prepare for real-time business situations. Here is a list of some of the best MBA programs in Canada.
|Name of the University||Top 1 year programs in Canada|
|Rotman School of Management||1 year Executive MBA|
|Smith School of Business, Queen’s University||Full-time MBA|
|Ivey Business School, Western University||MBA|
|Wilfrid Laurier University||MBA|
|University of Saskatchewan||MBA|
|University of Waterloo||MBA (MBET)|
|John Molson School of Business||MBA|
|Royal Roads University||MBA in Global Management|
|University of Alberta||MBA|
Executive MBA in Canada for Indian Students
Executive MBA in Canada is generally a one year course that costs around CAD 29,000 – CAD 145,000. After completion of EMBA, candidates can get high-paying jobs in Canada.
Some renowned universities for EMBA are:
- Rotman School of Management
- Desautels Faculty of Management
- Smith School of Business
- Richard Ivey Business School
- Schulich School of Business
The essential admission criteria for EMBA varies from university to university. But to get admitted for EMBA, students must have a professional employment letter and previous experience.
MBA in Canada Jobs
International students who complete a two-year masters program from a recognized university automatically receive a three-year work permit in Canada. Canada opens doors for a wide array of job opportunities in various fields.
- Finance and consultancy: Finance and consulting companies are the number one recruiters of MBA professionals. Hence the majority of international students opt for MBA in Finance in Canada.
- SMEs: Small and medium-sized enterprises are emerging as one of the largest hiring sectors of business school candidates. MBA students strained in this management sector find this as an excellent opportunity for learning and exposure.
Technology: With advancements in Science and Technology, technology-based companies and firms have been the most luring career choices for MBA aspirants.
Is Canada good for Indian Students?
Canada is a popular destination to study, especially among Indian students. It is a safe country to live and study in. It has world-class universities offering a plethora of courses at the undergraduate as well as postgraduate levels. The Canadian visa and immigration process is quite simple as compared to other countries. Canada also offers affordable living costs and tuition fees, which makes it one of the top destinations to pursue higher studies.
Study in Canada for free
Residents of the country can study for free in public secondary or high schools. However, schools charge fees for international students, which range from CAD 8000 and CAD 14000 per year. International students cannot study for free in Canada. However, they can opt for a university with low tuition fees or apply for scholarships that support their studies.
Ans. Canada is considered among the top 5 preferred places for Indian students to pursue any Management program. This is due to the notable history of academic programs from leading universities of Canada. Brilliant quality of life, world-class universities and a beautiful landscape all make Canada a leading country to study.
Ans. An MBA degree in Canada for Indian students costs around 14,75,000 INR. This fee varies depending on the university and the program you select.
Ans. No, MBA programs are not free in Canada. However, many affordable courses are offered by reputed Canadian universities like Lawal University, University of Calgary, Concordia University, Ryerson University, University of Waterloo, etc., which students can opt for.
Ans. Pursuing an MBA in Canada costs approximately 3 lakhs to 73 lakhs per annum. The costs vary as per the choice of universities and the place a student decides to reside in. The major contributor is tuition fees, followed by rent and other living expenses.
Ans. No, you can study MBA in Canada without taking the GMAT as long as you fulfil the remainder of the entrance requirements, which include IELTS scores, a strong MBA essay, and an interview, among others. The following are the primary criteria for an MBA in Canada without a GMAT: A bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above is required.