In Canada, a master’s degree (MS) is a 1-2 year postgraduate programme pursued as a professional or academic degree. An MS is either a course-based or a thesis-based higher education programme in Canada. On the other hand, some Canadian universities offer it as a hybrid programme. In Canada, the average yearly tuition expense for graduate education is between 20,000 and 30,000 CAD. MS programmes at Canadian universities cost between INR 11.11 lakhs and INR 16.6 lakhs for Indian students.
Students pursuing a master’s degree in Canada are awarded Masters of Science (MSc) or Masters of Arts (MA) degrees (MA).Students can pursue specialised master’s degrees such as the Master of Fine Arts (MFA), Master of Engineering (MEng), MBA in Canada, and others. These degrees can be pursued in any order. The cost of each type of master’s degree varies substantially depending on where you choose to study. Several MS in Canada Scholarships are available to help you pay for your tuition and living costs.
Why Study MS in Canada?
Mentioned below are some of the reasons why one should prefer completing their MS in Canada :
- Opportunities for Specialization : A master’s degree is available in a variety of professions, including medical, information technology, engineering and technology, finance, management, business administration, architecture, nursing, and design.
- Affordability : Among English-speaking nations, Canada has the lowest tuition fee. Studying for a master’s degree in Canada (30,000 CAD-55,000 CAD per year) is less expensive than doing so in the United States (35,000 CAD- 82,000 CAD per year) or Australia.
- Fundings : Approximately 70% more grants and scholarships are available to students in the form of scholarships, fellowships, and other forms of funding than in the United States.
- Internationally renowned institutions : 7 Canadian institutions are among the top 200 universities in the world, according to the QS World University Rankings(2020).
- Global Leader in R&D : Canada is a global leader in R&D, with universities accounting for 40% of all R&D spending at over 13 billion CAD. Clinical medicine, biology, information and communication technology, agriculture, fisheries and forestry, earth and environmental sciences, and economics and business are all sectors where Canada has significant research prospects.
- Immigration Policy : Canada’s immigration policy is friendlier than those of other study abroad countries. Students who want to work in the United States after graduation can apply for a post-graduation work permit.
MS in Canada Top Universities
Canada has become the top priority for international students after the USA, UK, etc. doing MS in Canada can provide a great value for students both in their career along with their personal life. Students can settle in research fields or they can become directors for various companies with their knowledge and experience.
Top colleges in Canada provide a variety of master’s degrees, with over 96 public institutions offering MS and 15,000+ study options.
According to THE Rankings 2022, the best universities in Canada for MS are shown in the table below :
|University||THE Rankings 2022||Annual Tuition Fee (in CAD)|
|University of Toronto||34||37,897|
|University of British Columbia||37||8,592|
|University of Waterloo||201-250||14,084|
|University of Ottawa||162||25,718|
|Universite de Montreal||88||24,558|
|University of Alberta||125||9,465|
|University of Calgary||201-250||14,538|
MS in Canada Application Deadline
Table below represents deadline date according to universities for pursing Ms in Canada :
|University of Toronto||January 15|
|University of British Columbia||January 15|
|University of Waterloo||February 1|
|University of Ottawa||Fall- March 1|
Winter- August 1
|Universite de Montreal||Fall and Summer- February 1|
Winter- September 1
|University of Alberta||September admission- July 1|
January admission- November 1
May admission- March 1
July admission- May 1
|McMaster University||January 15 – February 1|
|McGill University||January 15|
|Western University||September admission- February 1|
January admission- July 1
May admission- October 1
|University of Calgary||Spring- March 1|
Summer- May 1
Fall- July 1
Winter- November 1
MS in Canada Cost
Canada is a land with diverse cultural people with beautiful sceneries around the country. Students who will go for further studies in MS, MBA, MA, etc can explore various places in Canada.
International students must assess their financial budgets before beginning the process because of the expenditures associated in studying abroad. The cost of pursuing an MS in Canada comprises one-time pre-arrival fees, tuition fees, and living expenses.
Pre-arrival Costs to Canada
|Expenses||Cost (in CAD)|
|TOEFL Fee||220 – 345|
|GRE Fee||280 – 320|
|Student visa*||150 + 85|
|Airfare||450 – 1400|
Cost of Living in Canada
In comparison to the United States, the cost of living in Canada is around 2% lower. A few states, on the other hand, may have substantially lower costs. The cost of lodging on a monthly basis varies per Canadian province. The average monthly accommodation cost around 850 CAD- 1,000 CAD annually.
Mentioned below are the projected costs:
|Expenses||Monthly Costs (in CAD)|
|Books and Supplies||327|
|Food and Groceries||250- 300|
|Other Miscellaneous Expenses||150- 300|
Tuition Fees for Ms in Canada for Indian Students
Mentioned below are some of the tuition fees for Ms in Canada for Indian Students :
|Program||Fess Range (INR)|
|Masters in Computer Science||36- 42 Lakhs|
|Masters in Civil Engineering||14-21 Lakhs|
|Masters in Mechanical Engineering||8-29 Lakhs|
|Masters in Data Science||12 Lakhs (avg)|
|Masters in Business Analytics||14-36 Lakhs|
Check Out: Cost of living in Canada
MS in Canada for Indian students
Canada has become the Favorite destination for many international students mainly for Indian students. Because of its employability rate, education standards, and especially, there is no language barrier. Which is the main problem for many international students.
When comes to Indian Students, they can do MS in various fields based on their interests like MS in Engineering, MS in nursing, MS in finance, etc. The Educational environment and Culture and friendly environment in Canada attract most International students to study and settle there.
The tuition fees and cost of living in Canada are affordable when compared to other countries like the USA, UK, Australia, etc. Even 70% of fees are covered under scholarship facilities provided by the Canadian government and Universities.
MS course in Canada
As Canada has become one of the best countries which providing world-class education with a multicultural environment for both Canadian and International students.
Students can pursue masters in the Science fields related to research and innovation or a master in administration for better management activities. As almost all classes are taught mainly in the English language, there are no issues with the language barriers for international students.
There are different types of courses available in MS in Canada like MS in Biotechnology, MS in Biochemical Engineering, MS in Finance, MS in Marketing, MS in Physics, MS in Mathematics, etc. International students even can do MS in core fields along with new technology-related fields.
MS in Marketing in Canada
Marketing is one of the best subjects for the students who like to do research, sell new products in the market, create new ways of promotions for products, etc.MS in marketing will help students to become professionals in the Marketing field.
MS in Marketing in Canada is of 2 years time span. The growth rate of jobs in the marketing field is increasing day by day and there is an estimation of 10% growth in the Marketing field in upcoming years in Canada and other countries. The minimum costs for doing MS in Marketing in Canada is about $ 40,000 per year.
Eligibility criteria for doing MS in Marketing in Canada:
The following are the eligibility criteria for pursuing MS in Canada in the Marketing field:
- The GPA of students must be between 3.0 to 3.7 according to Universities in Canada.
- The students’ bachelor’s degree score must be above 70%.
- Along with GPA students need to provide a GMAT score which must be between 550 to 600.
- GRE is necessary for every student for doing MS in Canada.
- Students need to provide TOEFL and IELTS scorecards while applying for universities in Canada.
MS in finance in Canada
Students or the candidates who like to do financial analysis or prepare budgets for companies or who like to interpret data along with economic trends can do MS in Finance along with their Bachelor’s degree. As Finance field becomes more important in every company there is a requirement for the students or the candidates with good mathematical knowledge with financial knowledge.
Doing MS in finance will help students to settle in this prestigious field by getting high salaries. MS in Finance in Canada provides a wide range of opportunities for students in different fields Accounts, Taxation, Risk management, etc. the average cost of doing MS in Finance is about 26 lakhs INR per year.
Eligibility criteria for doing MS in Finance in Canada:
- Students need to have a GPA of 3.0.
- Students need to provide GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS scores for universities.
- Students with bachelors in Business Finance, financial theory, etc are eligible to do MS in Finance.
MS in Information technology in Canada
Information Technology or technology-related course has become more popular in present times. And Canada is the best place to do Technology related courses as it has world-class technology systems and famous research institutes in the Technology area.
Canadian Universities are offering various courses in Information technology and covering the most demanded courses like Machine learning and Artificial Engineering. There is 13% more growth in Technology related jobs in the future in Canada along with other countries.
Eligibility criteria for MS in Information Technology In Canada:
- The GRE scores are a must for MS and they need to be above 140+ in Verbal and 150+ in Quantitative.
- The GPA should be above 3.0
- Students need to get Bachelor’s degree in Information technology subjects along with good programming skills.
- The GMAT score must be above or equal to 550.
MS in Canada Mechanical engineering
Mechanical engineering is one of the tough yet evergreen subjects in Engineering. It deals with machines, automation, heat transfer in production, etc. students who are passionate about production and manufacturing or technology-related topics like robotics can apply for masters to increase their knowledge.
MS in mechanical engineering in Canada is of 1.5 to 2 years time span with affordable tuition fees in various specializations. In upcoming years there is up to 90% growth rate in the job market for mechanical engineering for students who have done MS in Canada.
Eligibility criteria for MS in Canada in Mechanical engineering:
- Students need to complete a bachelor’s 4 years with mechanical subjects.
- Work experience is not required but can add value to your resume while applying for MS in Canada.
- GRE/ GMAT scores are necessary for studying MS in Canada in Mechanical engineering.
- English proficiency exams like PTE, TOEFL, IELTS, etc need to be clear with good marks to enter into top universities.
MS in Canada Civil engineering
Civil engineering is one of the traditional courses in the Engineering field. Students who like to innovate new construction methods, or new construction designs, etc can apply for masters in Civil engineering for gaining more knowledge.
MS in Civil Engineering in Canada will help students to gain practical knowledge along with theoretical knowledge. Many universities in Canada provide different courses in MS in civil engineering subject for international students.
The average tuition fee for MS in Canada in Civil engineering is between $ 20,000 to $ 30,000 per year.
Eligibility criteria for MS in Canada in Civil engineering:
- Students need to complete their bachelor’s degree in civil engineering subjects.
- Work experience is also preferable by some Universities in Canada while doing MS in civil engineering.
- IELTS score must be above 7 and TOEFL score should be above 90+.
- Statement of purpose and letter of recommendation are required.
Check Out: MS in Canada Eligibility
MS in Canada with Scholarships
Doing MS in Canada or in any other foreign country needs financial support for the international students. Because the cost of living and Tuition fees in top universities in Canada are high and many of the students can’t afford these costs.
Students can apply for several scholarships to study in Canada to help pay their education. Scholarships from institutions, the Canadian government, commercial organisations and agencies, and others are available. In many situations, these scholarships assist students in covering both their tuition and living expenses.
Eligibility for getting Scholarships for doing MS in Canada:
- The following are the eligibility criteria for getting scholarships for MS in Canada:
- Students must achieve an above-average of 80+ percentage in their academic years.
- Students need to enroll for full-time MS or Masters or Ph.D. courses in the universities.
- Students need to get a minimum GPA or 3.0 in their studies.
- Few scholarship programs are totally for international students so, students need to prove that they are from other countries
Note : Students should not apply for any other scholarship programs before applying for the specific scholarship program.
|Scholarship||Awarded to||Scholarship Amount (in CAD)|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarship||graduate students at universities in Ontario||10,000- 30,000|
|Graduate Fellowship (UMGF)||full-time students of the Faculty of Graduate Studies at University of Manitoba||14,000|
|Master’s Entrance Scholarship||full-time graduate student at UAlberta in the form of a stipend||17,500 + 10,000|
|Innovates Graduate Student Scholarship||students enrolled in a research-based graduate program at UAlberta||26,000|
|Graduate Dean’s Entrance Scholarship||full-time students enrolled in a thesis-based master’s program at UBC||5,000|
|International Entrance Awards||students enrolled in an MBA program at McGill University||Up to 20,000|
|Graduate Scholarship||students enrolled in a masters program at University of Waterloo||1,000|
|Hira and Renu Ahuja International Graduate Scholarship||full-time graduate enrolled in a masters program at University of Waterloo’s Faculty of Engineering||20,000|
|Graduate Entrance Scholarship||students enrolled in Masters in Taxation program at University of Waterloo||3,500|
|JN Tata Endowment Scholarship||Indian students looking for studies abroad||1,832- 18,315|
|Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship||students from developing countries covering tuition & living expenses||Varies|
Is GRE is required for MS in Canada?
For doing MS in Canada, students need to attend a few exams like TOFEL, IELTS, PTE, etc to prove their English proficiency level. Along with that, they need to provide the scores of GRE or GMAT exams for the universities in Canada.
GRE exam score is necessary to get eligibility for entering into top Universities to do MS in Canada. But, every University has different cut-off rates in terms of GRE scores.
The minimum GRE score should be between 305 to 315 + out of 340 Total GRE score marks. It is the best score to get into top MS universities in Canada. Even without GRE, some universities are allowing international students to study in Canada but they need high GPA scores.
Requirements for MS in Canada
As Canada is providing the best education with new technology sources many students are showing interest to study in Canada or even to do Master or MS in Canada which helps to increase the value of their resumes. For that students need to provide some documents along with different exams scorecards to prove their English levels.
There are some requirements for International students who want to study MS in Canada. They are
- A Complete Admission form with LOR and resumes.
- A passport ID copy
- GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS, etc scorecards.
- Proof of Financial fundings
- Payment of application fee receipt copy.
- Academic transcripts/ writing samples.
Eligibility for MS in Canada
For doing MS in Canada in various fields students need to meet the minimum requirements along with passing a few exams. Every University has different Eligibility criteria for international students based on the course availability. But there are some common eligibilities that every student needs to qualify for entering into top Universities in Canada.
The following are the common eligibilities for International students to pursue MS in Canada:
- IELTS score needs to be between 6.5- 7.0
- TOEFL score should be above 90.
- The GRE scores must be 140 in verbal and 150+ in quantitative.
- The GPA of students is between 3.0 means above 70%.
- Few MS degrees required work experience of about 1-3 years.
Jobs after MS in Canada
Many students aspire to get high package jobs in passionate core fields. But, many students don’t know what are the available job profiles in their specific core fields.
As, MS in Canada consists of a wide range of courses in different fields like Engineering, Management, Science related like Nursing, and various other depth concepts like Data Science, Artificial intelligence, etc.
So, students can achieve their goals when they have a clear idea about the area they are passionate about.
The following are a few job profiles for various fields where students can do MS in Canada:
|Fields of study||Different job working areas|
|Engineering- Mechanical engineering||Design Engineer, project Mechanical Engineer, Building system engineer, etc.|
|Engineering- Civil engineering||Structural engineer, Public work Engineer, Civil Engineer, Etc.|
|Engineering- Electrical Engineering||Electrical engineer, electronic engineer, Electrical design Engineer, etc.|
|Engineering- Data Science ( CS)||Database administrator, database manager, database analyst, etc.|
|Science- Nursing||Practical Nursing, Critical care Nursing, General Nursing, etc.|
|Management- finance||Accountant,Budget analyst,finance analyst,Tax advisor,Tax manager, etc.|
|Management- Marketing||Market analyst, marketing manager, Marketing Director, etc.|
|Engineering- Information technology||Software developer, Computer system Analyst, Computer support specialist, etc.|
Salary after MS in Canada
Every student dreams to get the best jobs with high packages. Doing MS in their core fields help them to achieve their goals in a short time. However, studying Master’s or MS in Canada or any other foreign country will be an added advantage to the students as they improve their practical skills along with communication skills.
Along with that, they can create a great network with other students or people which helps them to attain their goals more quickly. Students or Candidates can get high pay jobs in or outside of Canada based on their skills, experience, and working ability.
The following are few salary packages for students who are doing MS in Canada:
|Field of study||Average salary package per year|
|Engineering- Mechanical engineering||CAD 46,144 to CAD 90,000|
|Engineering- Data science||CAD 57,354 to 90,000|
|Finance||$1,04,000 to $ 2,09,000|
|Marketing||$ 37,000 to $ 78,000|
|Nursing||$40,000 to $ 80,000|
|Engineering- Electrical engineering||CAD 35,000 to CAD 1,20,600.|
|Engineering- Civil engineering||CAD 48,000 to 1,32,000.|
Work Permit after Masters in Canada
Students seeking international study are flocking to Canada for higher education. The availability of welcoming laws for acquiring a work visa in Canada is one of the most important elements. Graduates of top Canadian universities can obtain a three-year work permit, which can then lead to permanent residency.
- Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP) are available to students who have completed a master’s degree in Canada
- The PGWP is an open-ended work permit that allows students to work for any company in Canada.
- The duration of the educational programme determines its applicability. The maximum term of PGWP is three years.
- To be eligible for a PGWP, a student must apply within 180 days of getting their transcripts and completing their degree.
Ans: The average tuition fees of MS in Canada for Indian students is 3 to 60 lakhs (approx) INR per year.
Ans: Tuition fees for Master’s degrees
Tuition range: 1,075 – 65,000 CAD/year. Masters in Business, Engineering, Computer Science and Law are the most expensive. Tuition costs for popular disciplines: Masters in Business & Management: 2,150 – 52,700 CAD/year.
Ans: You will need to have a four-year bachelor’s (65%-86% on average), IELTS score (6.5 or more/other equivalents), GRE scores (required for top universities), and LORs to get admission to MS courses in Canada.
Ans: The 1-year master’s programs in Canada can be pursued under degrees like Master of Arts, Master of Science, Master of Fine Arts, Master of Engineering, Master of Business Administration, etc.
Ans: In Canada, GRE is required for master’s level admission, and some universities and programs may need a good score in the test too. … Students who intend to study business don’t require appearing for GRE exam. There is no such qualification for appearing for GRE exam.