TOEFL preparation tips 2019
The preparation tips and strategies are the best things to follow to get an amazing result. You must get a prescribed course as the teachers there will be highly experienced and will provide you with the best tips and tricks. Shortcuts can make you fast and confident which will eventually boost your score up.
It is not about studying hard. It is about studying enough and in the right manner. It requires to have a certain mindset, stamina, and understanding to excel in a competitive exam which you can get by following some tips and tricks only. Given below are some tips that come handy while preparing for TOEFL.
Preparation Tips for TOEFL
- Get complete information about the exam format first of all.
- Give yourself enough time to prepare
- Set a goal
- Understand your strengths and weaknesses
- Go only for high-quality resources
- Work on your vocabulary daily
- Do Not compromise with your sleep
- Take a good and healthy diet
- Maintain a healthy routine
- Don't be demotivated nor overconfident
Tips for the listening section
- First of all, do not be nervous at all.
- There are full chances that you will miss the important points if you are not calm
- Listen to broadcasts such as debates and discussions on TV
- Listening to radio broadcasts will help you in all ways. Watch English movies and prevent the use of subtitles.
- Make notes while listening to the audio clip.
- Practice listening to foreign accent. Get habituated with it, so that you understand the best.
- Practice with the audio which is fast and fluent. That is where your listening skills are tested.
- Solve as many practice tests as possible.
- Pay extra attention to the clip that is replayed.
- Familiarize yourself with different English accents.
Tips for reading section
- Read articles in English.
- Work on your vocabulary
- Keep updating your knowledge of grammar rules
- Practice prepositions, tenses, voices etc on a daily basis
- If you love sports, watch games with commentary in English and pay attention to what the commentator is speaking.
- Don’t forget to practice comprehension. Practice summarizing them too.
- Subscribe to an English newspaper.
- Try to become fast and efficient while reading. Choose a strategy that works best for you.
- Don’t be nervous at the time of reading.
- Make sure you interpret the passage right.
Tips for speaking section
- First of all, try to speak English in daily conversations. It will boost up your confidence and make you habitual with the use of English.
- You can also try recording your voice while trying to speak in English. It will help you to know what your strengths and weaknesses are.
- Pay attention to your pace of speaking.
- Know about the exact pronunciation of words.
- To speak without interruption, you need to have relevant knowledge.
- Keep yourself updated with the current topics.
- Watch videos online and work on your accent.
- You can also try acting in front of your friend or family member as if your exam is going on.
- Be serious about all the above exercises.
- Watch debates on TV. It shall make you accustomed to English.
Tips for writing section
- Work on your vocabulary each day
- Only take care of the grammatical errors initially
- Try to frame sentences in a well organized manner
- Make notes of words or sentences on a daily basis
- Watch English debates or news channels for vocabulary enhancement
- Research is also required. You must know about the arguments in favor and also in opposition to the given topic.
- Include strong arguments in your writing. Mentioning vague points won’t help you.
- Try using only the appropriate words. Don’t use the words that you don’t know the exact meaning to.
- Work on your typing skills.
- Ideally, you must practice on a QWERTY keypad.
Additional TOEFL tips
- Give yourself ample time to prepare.
- Remember to make a study plan.
- Choose an early date for your exam, if possible.
- Set daily reminders for studying.
- Keeping a journal will also help.
- Practice on a QWERTY keyboard.
- Follow the given instructions carefully.
- Give practice tests and give yourself a habit of giving full-length tests.
- Keep your practice tests perfectly timed.
- Work on your attitude during preparation.
Exam day tips for TOEFL
- Always double check your answers.
- Skip the tough questions for a while and return to them later on.
- Maintain your pace during the whole test.
- Read complex texts.
- There is no penalty for wrong answers so attempt all the questions.
- Stay as calm as possible.
- Make use of the method of elimination in MCQs.
- Read each answer choice.
- Recognize multiple answer type questions.
- Also, read the whole question paper once.
1. Is the TOEFL test timed?
Yes, the TOEFL exams are timed.
2. Why is the TOEFL required?
TOEFL is a test that is taken so as to show that a person can adapt to the language and culture of the other country.
3. When does the TOEFL score expire?
TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years.
4. What is TOEFL iBT?
TOEFL iBT is the online form of giving the exam
5. Is there any age requirement for giving TOEFL?
There is no age requirement for TOEFL.
6. How to register for the TOEFL?
You can register for the TOEFL both through their official website or offline.
7. What skills does the TOEFL test?
They check whether the person is capable to live according to the country where he/she intends to go.
8. What if I want my tests to be delayed or rescheduled?
You can choose your TOEFL exam date as per your requirement. The exam is held for about 50 times in India.
9. How should I prepare for TOEFL?
A must part of studying for TOEFL is practicing the sample papers given by the ETS. Watch English movies and read English books to increase your vocabulary.
10. What is the cost of the test?
The test takes US$170.
11. Can I take the test again?
You can take the test as many times as you want. Note that there should be a gap of 12 days between two tests that you take.
12. What are the eligibility criteria for TOEFL?
There are no such eligibility criteria for TOEFL.
13. How can I get my fee refunded?
You need to request the administrators for a refund. They shall provide you with the refund if they receive it at least 4 days in advance.
14. What is TOEFL iBT resource center?
A TOEFL resource center helps students to get experience.
15. What are the late fee charges?
If you are late to apply, they will ask for an extra amount of US$35.