University Of Ottawa
ABOUT UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
The University of Ottawa, widely known as U of O or uOttawa, is a multilingual public university based in Ottawa, Canada. The uOttawa was established in 1848 as the Coll. of Bytown by Joseph B. Guigues, the 1st bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Ottawa. It became the Coll. of Ottawa in 1861 & gained uni status 5 years later under a royal charter after being put under the leadership of the OMI (Oblates of Mary Immaculate).
The uOttawa is the world's biggest bilingual (English-French) University. The University provides a wide range of academic programs overseen by 9 faculties, such as the UOttawa Faculty of Medicine, the Telfer School of Management, the uOttawa Faculty of Law, and the uOttawa Faculty of Social Science. The athletic teams of the uOttawa are called the Gee-Gees & are part of U Sports.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA CAMPUS
The primary campus of the institution is located in the Sandy Hill neighbourhood. The campus is located in the northern part by the ByWard Marketplace region, eastward by the Sandy Hill housing area, and the southwest by Nicholas St., which runs along to the Rideau River on the uni's western parts. The main campus spanned 35.3 hectares (87 acres) as of 2010–11, although the institution owns & operates other properties across the city, bringing the institution's overall extent to 42.5 hectares (105 acres). The main campus relocated twice before stabilizing its current site in 1856.
During 2011–12, the University-owned & administered 30 main buildings, 301 teaching labs, 806 research labs, and 257 seminar rooms & classrooms. The main university campus is separated into 2 parts: the Sandy Hill campus & the newer Lees campus, bought in 2007.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA RANKINGS
- The U of Ottawa has appeared in several university rankings. The institution was ranked 151–200 worldwide & 9–12 in Canada in the 2021 ARWU.
- The institution was placed 230th in the 2022 Q.S. World Uni Rankings, and 9th in Canada.
- The institution was placed 230th in the 2022 Q.S. World Uni Rankings, and 9th in Canada.
- The institution was ranked 199th worldwide & 8th in Canada in the 2k22 U.S. News and World Reports Best Global Uni Ranking, tying with the Uni of Waterloo.
- Maclean's put the institution 7th in its 2022 Medical Doctoral uni rankings regarding national rankings.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA ACCEPTANCE RATE
Admission at University of Ottawa is competitive, with a 24% acceptance rate. 50% of the candidates admitted to uOttawa have SAT scores ranging from 750 - 990 or ACT scores ranging from 18 - 22. Like the Ivy League institutions in Canada, the UOttawa is among Canada's most competitive & very selective colleges.
Acceptance rates change throughout time. As a result, to be admitted to the University of Ottawa, individuals must also meet the minimum eligibility requirements for the degree they choose to pursue.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA STUDENTS
The institution is co-ed, with about 35,000 UG & 6,000 PG students enrolled. Almost 7,000 foreign learners from 150 countries attend the school, representing 17% of the population of students. Over 195,000 alumni belong to the University's network.
To ease out the stress out of the students, the University of Ottawa includes professionally skilled therapy dogs for students suffering from depression, anxiety, or stress. The University of Ottawa also provides various student services, including the Writing Support Centre, the Study Skills Hub, Mentoring Centre, health care services, the Morisset Library, and the Pet Therapy Centre. The pet therapy center is well-known amongst students, and a few of the centre's furry pals have names like Benton, Luther, Happy, Kima, and Pablo.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA FACULTY
The University of Ottawa employs 1223 academic staff members, including full professors (560), assistant professors (201), and associate professors (462). The researchers & professors are extremely informed & skilled in their specialities. Researchers at uOttawa are global experts in photonics, brain & mental health, vascular & cardiovascular wellness, Francophonie, social justice, and public policy. Programs are taught in both French & English by the academic faculty.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Gilles Comeau has been awarded the ACFAS's 2021 Jacques Rousseau Prize in honour of his exceptional & significant work.
- Two University of Ottawa scholars have been appointed Royal Society of Canada fellows. In addition, 1 Uni researcher has been selected as a member of the Colleges of New Scholars, Artists, & Scientists' 8th cohort.
- Eva Ottawa aspires to offer Indigenous people a voice by proactively taking part in research that affects them.
- The University of Ottawa will be a part of Hub-350, a new cutting-edge global tech centre in Canada's biggest tech park.
- The Friedrich Bessel Award is given to uni's some outstanding young researchers to appreciate their scientific achievements.
- The green wall of the Faculty of SSC. the department is North America's highest live biofilter. The green wall has been one of the uni's environmental efforts.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA SCHOLARSHIPS
University of Ottawa has 1 of the most attractive scholarship programs in the country. It recognizes pre-uni academic achievements and accomplishments during each semester of full-time uni study. A scholarship is given for academic performance, whereas a bursary is given for financial necessity. To be eligible for awards, bursaries, & scholarships, students must satisfy certain criteria. Each award has a unique set of eligibility requirements.
- Differential Fee Exemption Scholarship - In line with its devotion to the Francophone, the U of Ottawa will provide a Differential Fee Exemption Scholarship to foreign Francophone & Francophile students enrolling in a bachelor's/master's program beginning in September 2021.
- President's Scholarship for Int. Students: This scholarship is given to 1 full-time int. undergraduate student. It is among the most distinguished scholarships at the University of Ottawa, priced at $30,000. The Institute also offers a one-time $1,500 reward to the students who come in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th position.
- Chancellor's Scholarship for International Students: This scholarship is given to 1 full-time int. undergraduate student. It is among the most distinguished scholarships at the University of Ottawa, priced at $26,000. The Institute also offers a one-time $1,500 reward to the students who come in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th position.
- Student Mobility Scholarship: Every year, the University grants these scholarships to students to assist them in paying for their education or internships overseas. The Mobility Scholarship will automatically be awarded to all students accepted for the Exchange Program. There is no need to apply.
University of Ottawa Highlights
QS World Ranking
Total International Students
Size of Campus
5000 Total Employees
No. of Campuses
75 Laurier Avenue East, Ottawa, ON, Canada
HOW TO APPLY TO THE UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA?
The admissions procedure at the University of Ottawa is straightforward for both indigenous & foreign students. Application dates vary per program/course & might be as early as ten months before the beginning of the 1st semester. Due to the time-consuming procedure of getting a study visa, the institution advises overseas students to enrol as soon as possible.
- Fill out form 105 & submit it to the Ontario University Application Centre (OUAC).
- State all current & former post-secondary education, whether finished or not, even if it's unrelated to the application. Failure to comply may result in the termination of the application or revocation of the admission offer at any moment.
- Enter your email address & double-check that it is correct. The University will contact you at this address for all purposes. Also, keep an eye on your inbox for emails from the University.
- Pay the application costs for all of the admissions applications. Applications are delivered to the uOttawa only once all fees have been fully paid & the payment has been confirmed.
(When applying via the OUAC site, the application cost for any undergrad degree is a non-refundable payment of CAD 156 for the first 3 courses. Each extra course will cost CAD 50. Overseas students must pay an additional CAD 10 as an international service fee. The postgraduate program application cost, on the other hand, is CAD 110 & non-refundable.)
- Within 1 week of applying OUAC, you'll get an email confirming receipt of the application. Keep the email acknowledging receipt. It includes instructions on how to use the uoZone student website and follow the status of the application. It also contains your user I.D. & password.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA ELIGIBILITY
Due to standardization in grading methods, admission standards vary between students from Ontario, other provinces in Canada, and overseas students. The admissions office says that an acceptance rate of at least 73% is essential. However, this number may rise depending on the popularity of a program.
NOTE: Certain courses may demand higher average marks. Indian students who have finished the CBSE/CISCE senior English course with a final mark of 75% may be excused from English proficiency examinations. Students having A.P. test credits can transfer their credits.
Eligibility for UG
- High-Secondary School Cert. with minimum average 75%.
- IELTS: 6.5 or higher overall.
- TOEFL (iBT): Overall score of 86 or higher.
- PTE: 60 in total.
- CAE: C1
Eligibility for PG
- Bachelors & Masters degrees, both three years long.
- Bachelor's degree (4 years).
- Postgrad Diploma
- IELTS: 6.5 or above overall
- TOEFL iBT: Total score of 79 or higher
- PTE: 60 in total
Eligibility for MBA
- 70% required in a bachelor's degree or its equivalent.
- A minimum of 3 years of job experience (full-time) is required.
- IELTS: 7 overall
- TOEFL (iBT): Overall score of 100
- PTE: Overall 68
Eligibility for PhD
- A bachelor's degree with a minimum avg. of 70% and a master's degree with good academic standing.
- IELTS: 7 overall
- TOEFL (iBT): Overall score of 100
- PTE: Overall 68
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
DOCUMENTS REQUIREMENTS FOR UG
Official academic transcripts
Recommendation Letters (LORs)
Audio & video recordings, and portfolios (if required)
If applicable, a fee waiver form
Report of English proficiency exam
Report of AP scores
DOCUMENTS REQUIREMENTS FOR PG
Transcripts of academic work
Essays/SOP, depending on the course requirements.
Motivational letter/Letter of Intent
Cover letter & portfolios (optional).
If applicable, a fee waiver form.
Reports of standardized test scores.
Work experience (MBA & Ph.D.)
BACHELORS IN UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
Employees & faculty are dedicated to creating an atmosphere conducive to student achievement by assisting students in their educational success & development, giving personal assistance, and assisting them in their career preparation. Undergrad students can finish their bachelor's degree in French & English, available in over 100 UG programs across 6 faculties. Graduate students who want to stand out in a specific field of study might enroll in a microprogram.
Average Fees: CAD 30,000/Year
MASTERS IN UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
A master's degree in uOttawa provides you with knowledge, exposure to research, and personal satisfaction. You can select the right program for you at the University of Ottawa. Join a world-class-class research group-uOttawa is recognized among Canada's top 10 research institutions. Take advantage of a selection of programs catered to your busy career lifestyle. Study & reside in the center of the country's capital, in a multicultural & bilingual atmosphere where big networks act on key problems & influence choices.
Average Fees: CAD 38,000/Year
MBA IN UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
The MBA program at Telfer School of Management offers a solid basis in all managerial functions, develops management & communication skills, and optimizes students' ability to view & analyze issues, possibilities, and scenarios from a strategic point of view, preparing individuals to be responsible change agents. The use of relevant, modern management models, concepts, & philosophies with an integrative approach to issue resolution & respect for all parts of the company is emphasized.
Average Fees: CAD 35,000/Year
LIFE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
- The campus of the University of Ottawa covers 37.1 hectares, while the Alta Vista Campus covers 7.2 hectares. On-campus, there are 126 buildings that house offices, classes, research & teaching labs, residential halls, study & leisure areas, and outdoor spaces, parking areas, and athletic facilities.
- There are 302 classrooms & seminar rooms on campus and 263 labs & 823 research labs. The uOttawa's library offers one of the greatest collections of paper form & e-books, with a network of 12 sites located in Morriset Hall.
- The campus also has a museum & an art gallery with vintage relics & a collection of rare historical & religious items.
- To engage with your speciality, you may select from 175+ different clubs & groups. There are 45 extracurricular leagues for sports fans to join.
- Students may also attend comedy evenings at Cafe Nostalgica, compete in University's Got Talent, & watch free film screenings.
- The uOttawa's library has about 2,425,000 print volumes, 74,000+ E-journals, 20,000 digitized French publications, 13,000 theses, and more.
- As a result, foreign students of any interest may easily live a happy life while learning at the U of Ottawa.
ACCOMMODATION AT UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
The Academic Accom. Service collaborates with the U of Ottawa society to assist temporarily or permanently disabled students. Even though most students reside off-campus, the institution maintains 10 student residential units: Marchand Hall, Leblanc Hall, Stanton, Hyman Soloway, Thompson Hall, Friel, Henderson, 45 Mann, Rideau, 90 University, & Annex.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA ON-CAMPUS ACCOMMODATION
- The university's main campus offers lodging & six distinct types of dormitories to students.
- LeBlanc, Stanton, Thompson, and Marchand are community-style residential halls, whereas Rideau & Henderson are traditional plus since they offer extra amenities to residents.
- Suites are available at 90 University, while Friel offers suites and studio lodgings to students.
- 45 Mann, Annex, and Hyman Soloway are apt-style buildings open all year, even in the winter.
- Students who want to live on campus for longer than a year often prefer these accommodations.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA OFF-CAMPUS ACCOMMODATION
- Off-campus faculties can be found all across the city of Ottawa.
- If you're searching for an apartment/room for Sept, start browsing in early July. Although there are postings available at all seasons of the year, it is recommended that you start searching two months ahead of time.
- In most cases, you must sign a 1-year lease when renting a house or an apartment. Rooms in a home are often leased out for 4-8 months, with some going as long as 12 months.
- Don't sign a contract solely on a model. Demand on viewing the actual apartment.
- Examine the apartment for loud sound & parking issues at varying times of the day, evening, and weekends.
If you're looking for something to do on campus/city, there are many options. Here are some student favourites for on & off-campus visits to give you a sense of how the city is. The city is full of places that draw tourists & students all year.
- DMS Lounge: With ceiling-to-floor windows & comfortable couches, students can study or hang out with friends here. If you're a Telfer student looking to become involved, the Telfer Clubs' main offices are just a 5-minute walk!
- Views from FSS: On the higher floors of uni's Social Sciences Building, there are various study rooms with excellent sights of the Parliament, Rideau Canal, and the city of Ottawa!
- Father & Son's Restaurant: A famous uOttawa favourite, F&S, located just off campus, provides students with inexpensive & great meals with various specials every weeknight!
- Tabaret Lawn: Regardless of the season, the Tabaret Lawn is a lovely depiction of the U of Ottawa campus. Whether it's fall & the trees are becoming yellow & orange, or spring & the small green buds are sprouting up, the lawn is the ideal location to relax, have a picnic, or study.
- Gallery of Canada: Located in the center of downtown, the Nat. Gallery of Canada exhibits a wide range of classical, modern, and Indigenous art. One of the most outstanding art pieces from Canada & throughout the world may be seen here.
- Major's Hill Park: Major's Hill Park, situated just a quick walk from the campus, is a sprawling park along the Ottawa River. Also, it houses Tavern just on Hill, a magnificent outdoor grill & bar that serves a broad range of cuisine, drinks, and desserts.
Career at University of Ottawa
With over 180,000 alumni distributed around the globe, the uOttawa is well-known for the wide range of subject areas it provides. The University is one of Canada's top 15 research universities, ranking in the u15 category. Furthermore, UOttawa is the originator of the world's 1st French immersion undergrad program, & its co-op education program is regarded among the top 5 in the nation.
So, with such excellent facilities as well as an excellent educational system, a student's professional path after graduating from uOttawa gets smoother & more successful.
JOBS AFTER STUDYING AT UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
Getting a job after graduating from the University of Ottawa is rather easy. The Uni's graduates are employed at a rate of 97 %. The University's highly qualified academic staff & world-class curriculum prepare students for real-world circumstances. The following are a few of the highest-paying degrees at the U of Ottawa:
- A – 67,000 CAD
- Sc – 65,000 CAD
- MBA – 163,000 CAD
- Sc – 87,000 CAD
PLACEMENT AT UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
The institution provides a specialized career center for its students & aids them in finding appropriate positions through offline and online resources. Its University's center gives information on job listings & volunteer opportunities and works to improve professional skills through resume writing, career coaching, and mock interviews. The facility is open from 8.45 a.m. - 4.30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA NOTABLE ALUMNI
- James Cartwright – Olympic athlete
- Doug Falconer – Film producer & football player
- Brad Sinopoli – Football player at CFL
- France Chrétien - lawyer & businesswoman
- Paul Desmarais – Entrepreneur
- Jean Marc Carisse – Photographer
- Dimitri Kitsikis - Geopolitician
- Quddus - Model & MTV VJ
- Michel Chossudovsky - Economist & author
- Hugh Segal - Politician & senator
- André Ouellet - CEO & president of Canada Post
- Salter Hayden - Senator & lawyer
- Dafydd Williams – Astronaut
The college has courses in Arts in Canada
The college has various courses and is located in Canada
This academy is located in Canada
The College has career-focused training and diploma programs in Canada
This is a bilingual public research university in Canada