How to write a great SOP?
An SOP is a self introductory essay which focuses on your life’s achievements, the reason for chosen career path, interests and hobbies and goals in life. It is a very crucial document for your admission process and hence it must be drafted with precise information. A great SOP must include:
- Why do you wish to study this program, from this university and this country?
- Specific courses or projects you have done relating to your field of interest?
- Any community service or leadership experience while in college?
- Why should you get admitted to this program?
- What values will you bring to the institute and to your peers?
- What are your career goals and?
- How will this program help you to achieve your career goals?
- Your extracurricular activities, hobbies, and interests
- What is that one unique aspect/characteristic about you that the admission officers should know? Why does it matter to the admission officers and/or to the fellow students of your class?
What should be the ideal length of SOP?
If the length of the SOP is not specified by the university it must not be more than 1000 words or up to one and a half page, so it is very necessary to edit it, either to add content or delete it. Also, make sure our SOP is interesting and worth the time of the reader as the committee has to go through thousands of applications for a program.
7 Tips of writing best SOP
Now that the importance of SOP is very much clear, let’s take a look at the important aspects which form a good SOP. Consider the following points while writing down your SOP.
- Make a list of all the information you wish to include in your SOP
- Make sure you are clear and confident about your career goal and the course and college you are applying for.
- Think over the theme and the presentation of the SOP
- Sort out the list as to narrow down the content to specific word limit by omitting unnecessary information
- Write it down as per the format provided by the university or else search for the best format and writ according to it
- Editing is very important to curb the word limit and rectify errors if any.
- Refer to Sample SOP to get an idea about what to include and what not.
SOP Writing Tips for MS
All SOPs are going to be different. The SOP for an undergraduate program will be different than that of a graduate program. The SOP will also differ according to the field of study also. SOP for MBA will be different than that of MS. It is a must that you justify your SOP to your field of study.
- Make a list of your achievements and ideate on which to write about in your SOP
- Explain in brief why you chose a particular area of study
- Do emphasize on your responsibilities and the knowledge you acquired in your work experience.
- Mention about any research project you wish to do in your Master’s program.
- Mention how you wish to achieve your career goals.