India has some of the best medical colleges where you can get admission after clearing their respective or combined entrance exam. One such popular exam in India is NEET or National Eligibility cum Entrance Test. In 2019, more than 1.5 million students wrote down the NEET for only 60 thousand available MBBS seats. In another exam conducted by All India Institute of Medical Science, more than 300 thousand students appeared for 1,150 seats.
In such a highly competitive atmosphere, chances are very high that many deserving candidates do not get admission in those medical institutes. For such students studying MBBS abroad is one of the most popular options. To diversify their cultural background, many foreign institutes prefer students from different races, religions, and nations. Indian students have already built a respectful aura about the Indian community, which makes the future Indian students get admission easily in these universities.
- To study MBBS abroad, students can choose their preferred country and institute from a long list of institutes.
- Countries like the US, UK, Canada conduct their mandatory entrance exams for admission in a medical school.
- Studying MBBS abroad is comparatively less expensive than studying MBBS in India.
- Competition in foreign institutes is comparatively less than that in India.
- The quality of education in foreign institutes is much better than any Indian Institute.
How To Get Scholarship To Study MBBS Abroad?
Although MBBS in abroad is comparatively cheaper than MBBS in India, it is as much true that MBBS is one of the costliest courses in India and abroad. Those who get admission in Indian institutes through NEET or AIIMS or any other state-level medical exam like UP-CPMT or MP-PMT but cannot afford the fee can apply for the government scholarship program.
Similarly, the students who want to study MBBS abroad but cannot afford the fee can apply for the scholarship programs available for MBBS aspirants. These scholarships had helped a thousand of students to not give up on their dream of becoming a doctor due to financial limitations. Such scholarships are either provided by the institution itself or by the government of that country.
Some of these scholarships are listed below:
- University of Melbourne Baillieu Research Scholarship: Offered by the University of Melbourne to study medicine at the University of Melbourne at the graduate level.
- UCLA David Geffen Medical Scholarships: Offered to the students taking admission into the David Geffen School of Medicine located at the campus of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) is given specifically to the meritorious students of UCLA to assist them with full financial support during the tenure of the course.
- Institute for International Liberal Education at Bard Colleges: This institute offers the scholarship up to USD 300,000 to the needy students who have enrolled in any foreign university. This is available in countries like Germany, Hungary, Kyrgyzstan, Palestine, Russia, and South Africa.
Study MBBS Abroad with Scholarship
Getting admission to an MBBS institute abroad is a tough task, and it becomes exponentially tougher when the fee does not fit into your budget box. In this situation, these institutes’ scholarships can save many students from hefty loan applications and EMIs.
To know whether the institute you want to join offers the scholarship of not, you need to do extensive research about that institute through its official website and education portals. Learn more about that institute through its social media handles. Connect with the current students and alumni of that institute to learn more about that college.
- Perform rigorous research about the medical institute situated abroad.
- Prepare a list of those institutes which offer a scholarship to the international students
- Sort them into categories based on which these institutes offer scholarships – based on merit or any other criteria.
- If it suits your need, then you can apply for admission into that institute.
Scholarship To Study MBBS Abroad
Most of the countries and institutes that allow the International students to get admission into their medical program offer a handsome scholarship to the deserving and needy aspirants.
These scholarships can either cover students’ full or limited tuition fees, or accommodation charges, or food and travel, etc., or these can cover all of these expenses. These scholarships are offered to only those students who have an excellent academic record throughout their academic term.
- To avail of a scholarship to study MBBS abroad, the aspirant needs a consistent and excellent educational background.
- In some countries, the aspirant must clear the country’s medical entrance examination to be eligible for the scholarship.
- Most of the English-speaking countries require foreign nationals to have a valid score of TOEFL or IELTS.
- These exams play a very important role in selecting the candidate for the scholarship.
Study MBBS Abroad At Low Cost
Candidates who do not get admission through NEET or AIIMS in India and take admission in a private medical institute must pay an average of 55 lakh INR to complete their 5-year MBBS program.
Prestigious institutes of some of the countries offer the same program at less than half of the price than that of India. These institutes offer world-class education and infrastructure at the price no private Indian institute offers but take the double or triple amount of money as the tuition fee. The cost of living in these countries is also affordable.
- The medical program of Rostov State Medical University in Russia offers a 6-year undergraduate medical program for the fee of only 15 lakh INR.
- Ukraine is one of the most popular hubs for Indian students for medical education. The mean cost of the medical program here is close to 20 lakh INR.
- More than 50 Chinese Universities offer MBBS courses to Indian students who have cleared the Standardized Entrance Test (SET). The average cost of the MBBS program at these universities is around 20 lakh INR.
- The tuition fees of MBBS at the Asian Medical Institute in Kyrgyzstan are near to 11.20 lakh INR. And hostel, mess, and other expenses are included, then it would cost somewhere around 17-18 lakh INR.
Study MBBS Abroad for Indian Students
If you are tired of all the unwanted competition around the medical entrance exams like NEET, AIIMS, State-PMT, etc., and now looking to study MBBS abroad, this is the right time. Indian students can apply to study MBBS in countries like Russia, Ukraine, Nepal, Bangladesh, New Zealand, Australia, China, Kyrgyzstan, etc.
Where the medical course is manifolds less expensive than in India. Indian Medical Council also helps the students to choose the right medical college to save students from any kind of fraud.
- Medical courses in countries like Russia and Ukraine costs less than half of the fee in India, and the cost of living in these countries is extremely affordable.
- Indian students get to know about the learning style of other countries.
- MCI has prepared a list of medical colleges abroad to help the Indian students.
- These colleges do not take any donations; instead, students are offered scholarships to help them complete their education.
- Asian Medical Institute in Kyrgyzstan is the most affordable medical college for Indian students to study MBBS abroad.
Best Country to Study MBBS Abroad
In the situation of expensive private medical colleges, many students find it more suitable to study medicine from abroad because the course fees there are less than half. Apart from the fees, the number of seats available in foreign-based universities is much more than any private institute in India.
Students get to practice medicine in the country where they have completed their course, which helps them earn more than they could ever earn in India.
Some of the best countries to study MBBS abroad are mentioned below:
Can I Study MBBS Abroad Without NEET?
From May 2018, Medical Council has made it mandatory to qualify NEET before students join any MBBS course from abroad. To practice the medicine in India, candidates have to appear for the license exam for which the valid NEET score is mandatory.
Hence, it is clear that students cannot get admission to MCI approved medical institutes abroad to complete their medical education. However, you can enroll yourself for the pre-medical program.
- The duration of the pre-medical program is one year, and it helps prepare for the NEET as well.
- After qualifying NEET, students can continue their education with the pre-medical program.
- Failure to qualify for the program’s continuation does not mean that you can practice medicine in India. To practice in India, students must have a valid NEET score.
- In a crux, it is impossible to study MBBS abroad without NEET as per the guidance of the Medical Council of India.
Is it Good to Study MBBS Abroad
Studying MBBS abroad comes with a large number of benefits for the students, both financially and technically. Many medical institutes situated abroad offer the MBBS program at a much lower price than any other private medical institute in India.
A large number of these institutions prefer English as the primary language for teaching, making it easier for Indian students to learn without worrying about the language barrier.
Some of the reasons why it is good to study MBBS abroad are listed below:
- Foreign institutes have a less competitive atmosphere than those in India, which reduces the pressure and helps them learn more.
- Apart from being part of the world-class education, students also get security from the institutes to protect them, and they feel secure.
- These institutions offer scholarships that help the underprivileged or needy students not carry heavy loads.
- The cost of the course in foreign institutions in countries like Russia and China is much more affordable than in India.
How Much Does it Cost to Study MBBS Abroad?
The cost to study MBBS abroad varies from country to country and from college to college. Where the cost of MBBS in countries like the US, UK, or Canada is very high, it is comparatively less in countries like Russia, Ukraine, or China.
The tuition fees of the MBBS program in the US vary from 3.60 lakh INR to 47 lakh INR. However, the cost in institutions like Harvard University, Washington University, or the University of Columbia is close to 40 lakh INR per year. Whereas in countries like Russia and China, the course fees are 20-25 lakh INR in top institutes of the country.
- The average cost of MBBS in the USA is 40 lakh INR, which includes only the tuition fees.
- The average cost of MBBS in China is 18 lakh INR, which includes the cost of living.
- The average cost of MBBS in Canada is 55 lakh INR, including the tuition fee and cost of living.
- One-year fees of the MBBS program at Harvard University is more than 45 lakh INR per year.
How to Study MBBS Abroad for free?
MBBS is one of the costliest courses not just in India but all over the world. Even those countries where MBBS is affordable to international students, it is one of the most expensive courses in the respective country.
The amount of dedication from faculties, infrastructure, and demand of the course makes it one of the highest demanding and costliest courses. However, there are few chances that one might get to study MBBS abroad for free.
- IMAT or The International Medical Admission Test conducted by the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities, and Research for admission in medical seats available in Italy.
- Students qualifying IMAT can avail up to 100% scholarship and study for free.
- UCLA David Geffen Medical Scholarship provides full financial assistance to the medical students of the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Many universities in Germany offer a 100% fee waiver offered to highly meritorious students.
Eligibility to Study MBBS Abroad
Several students plan to study MBBS abroad to get confused about whether they are eligible to apply to foreign institutions. Most of them are unaware that aspirants need to clear some important exams to be eligible for the program.
Since the list of the institutions is long, the eligibility criteria for many institutions is also different. Apart from completing 12th exams successfully and having a qualifying NEET score, one needs to check some other boxes to be eligible to apply for the program.
- Applicant should have completed 12th in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks and must have English as a compulsory subject.
- The applicant should have cleared the NEET for the respective year.
- The applicant must have attained the age of 17 at the time of filling the application.
- The applicant must have a valid TOEFL or IELTS score.
- Candidates are required to carry an Eligibility Certificate issued by MCI at the time of admission.
- The foreign institute must be in the IMC’s list of foreign MBBS institutes.
- For some countries, candidates have to clear their respective Medical Entrance Test.
Is it Worth to Study MBBS Abroad?
MBBS is a fruitful program, and people get a good return on investment from this highly respectable program. Whether it is done from India institution or foreign institution, the post-program benefits – financial or moral, are countless.
MBBS prepares people to save lives, and no matter where it is for you, saving lives is always worth it. But still, if you are looking for its worth in financial terms, consider the points below.
- Most of the colleges from countries like Kyrgyzstan, China, and Russia have a lower fee structure than any private Indian medical institute.
- Most of these institutions offer scholarships from 30% to 100%, which covers the tuition fee and other charges.
- Students get exposure to international learning and new approaches to learning.
- Students, after completing their MBBS, can earn up to 2 lakh INR per month.
Exams to Study MBBS Abroad
Medical is a highly reputed profession. But at the same time, it is the only profession that has been compared to God’s power. It is said, either God or the doctor can save a life. And when the task is tough, the test is tougher.
To study MBBS abroad, students need to clear multiple exams, including their 12th-grade exams and PCB (Physics, Chemistry, and Biology). NEET is mandatory if you want to study MBBS abroad due to the Medical Council of India’s direction. All the necessary exams to study MBBS abroad are listed below.
- Class 12th grade exams in PCB with an aggregate of minimum 50% marks (90% or 95% in top US and UK based institutes).
- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) mandatory for admission in every country.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for admission in US and UK (and some other countries)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for admission in US and UK (and some other countries)
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) for admission in the USA
- UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) for admission in the UK.
- The International Medical Admission Test (IMAT) for admission in Italy.
Ans. Medical institutes in China offer the course at one of the lowest fee-structure around the world. Fees of colleges in China recognized by the Medical Council of India range 3 lakh INR to 8 lakh INR to 20 lakh INR.
China has more than 50 medical institutes recognized by MCI. Russia and Ukraine are the top preferred countries for medical education by Indian students. With less expensive fee-structure, the cost of living in these countries is much more affordable than some of the Indian cities.
Ans. To get an MBBS seat abroad, candidates must fulfill the eligibility criteria, which includes completion of 12th in PCB with an aggregate of 50% marks in the three subjects with English as a compulsory subject. A valid NEET score is also mandatory.
Other than this, the candidate must be of 17 years at least. Countries like the USA and UK require candidates to clear IELTS or TOEFL to secure MBBS seats.
Ans. Fees for MBBS in abroad varies from one country to another. Top Colleges in the US charge more than 45 lakh INR per year. The average fee of MBBS in the USA is 60-70 lakh INR. In countries like Russia and Ukraine, it ranges from 20 lakh INR to 25 lakh INR.
MBBS in china costs the lowest from 3 lakh INR to 8 lakh INR to 20 lakh INR across the country. Fees of MBBS in abroad is less expensive than any private medical institute in India.
Ans. MBBS from countries like the US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Ukraine, China, Nepal, and many other countries is valid in India. MBBS is a very costly course, even in the countries where it is considered as lowest.
However, a postgraduate medical degree is valid from only five countries, including the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. PG in medical is recognized by the Indian Medical Education Regulator from the five mentioned countries only.
✅ What is the salary of MBBS doctors in the USA?
Ans. Even though it is known that the MBBS degree is the costliest in the US, the return on investment is also the highest in the USA. On average, an MBBS doctor in the US earns 2.2 crore INR per year.
However, the salary varies across the states from 1.4 crore INR per year to 5 crore INR per year. Students who have completed their MBBS in the USA can not earn as much in India, but the return is not dissatisfactory in India.