Source: Study in Germany
Germany has recently emerged as the new favorite among international students. Owing it all to its, quality yet affordable education, a multitude of course options, job opportunities, and immigration options. Here’s a guide on How to Study in Germany?
Top Universities in Germany
Here is a list of the top universities in Germany that you must look out for, during shortlisting universities.
University World Rank LMU Munich 34th Technical University Munich 41st Heidelberg University 45th Humboldt University of Berlin 62nd RWTH Aachen University 79th University of Freiburg 82nd Free University of Berlin 88th Technical University of Berlin 92nd University of Tübingen 94th
Is Study in Germany Free?
The answer to the current is, No, the education in Germany isn’t completely free. however, the high-percentage tuition fee for undergrad courses, for both domestic and international students are removed. This means, currently the candidates for UG courses ought to solely pay a minimum of administration and semester prices. All the living expenses are after all the duty of the students to arrange and procure. However, the removal of tuition fee, which may vary from $ 3,00 to a whopping $ 34,000 within the United States of America and Canadian universities, has benefited heaps of international students.
Then, there are scholarships after all. Thus, a student with a good educational record will manage to induce a nearly free education in Germany, provided he makes the most effective of the university prices and receives a scholarship too.
Cost of Study in Germany
The estimated cost of study in Germany would comprise of the following-
- Tuition Fee– 1,500 Euros per semester
- Stationery– 20-30 Euros per month
- Semester Contribution Fee– 200 Euros + 50-70 Euros Admin Semester fee
- Accommodation– 200-300 Euros
- Health Insurance– 80-160 Euros
Scholarships in Germany
Unlike the countries mentioned above, education from German universities is the most affordable of all. However, for courses that are not absolutely free, a scholarship offer can work as a great compliment. So much so, that it can help you receive education in Germany for free. Here is a list of German scholarships for international students.
- Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships
- Goethe Goes Global Scholarships
- DAAD Scholarships
- Civil Society Leadership Awards
- Heinrich Boll Scholarships
- ESMT Women’s Academic Scholarships
- KAAD Scholarships for Developing Countries
How to Apply to Study in Germany from India?
The steps that lead to the application process in Germany is as follows-
1. Choose the University
- You should choose the college and program which you want to study in and what to pursue.
- The information of all the programs available for the international students is listed in the German Academic Exchange Service.
2. Go through the Requirements
- To study in Germany, one must have a HZB which means the higher education entrance qualification.
- Generally the requirements are a high school diploma, school-leaving certificate and submit the proof to study in English
- An IELTS or TOEFL is recommended for the students to study in English language.
3. Check your financial support
- As Germany is famous for providing quality education free of cost to the students.
- But the living expenses should be managed such as accommodation.
- You must show a proof of access to around US$10,000 per year to let the college know about your financial status.
4. Apply for admission
- You can choose any course from the various courses provided in Germany through the DAAD service.
- At many German Universities it is possible to take admission twice a year.
- Have a look on the important dates or consult an advisor to get admission in Germany.
5. Health Certificate
- Before you leave your country, you must provide a health certificate to the authorities.
- The heath certificate states your health status.
- If your health insurance is not valid in Germany then, expect to pay around $176 to cover it.
6. Get a VISA
- The requirements to get a German VISA totally depend on your country of origin.
- You must go through all the documents and necessary verification to obtain the visa.
- Consult an adviser to get the visa instantly and without any fuss.
7. Find accommodation
- After getting all the procedure done for the admission, you must need to find a good place to stay for yourselves.
- If the college accommodation works for you then it is advised to stay near the college.
- Once you had found a place, you need to register at the ‘residents’ registration office.
- You must enroll in the university to obtain services such as library and stuff.
- This usually cost for like between $170-290.
- Submit the necessary documents needed at the time of enrollment such as Passport, Photos, Proof of educational qualification, evidence of knowledge of German or English, etc.
9. Get set go!
- Following all the procedures, now you can start your student life.
- There are many more things which are needs to be taken care of when you are studying abroad.
- Start your student life and make it memorable.
Documents required to study in Germany from India
The application documents required are:
Copy of your passport
Higher education qualification certificate
Mark sheets and transcripts
Language test reports
Other documents needed are-
Language Skills: Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH) along with International English Language Testing System(IELTS) are the German and English language tests needed for study in Germany. The DSH is generally needed in cases, wherever the mode of instruction for the course is German. this is often as a result of most courses within the German universities have both German and English as their mode of instruction.
Test for Foreign Students: There is a test called as the TestAS, and is an aptitude test for admission into several German universities.
Finances: If you would like to study in Germany, then you need to indicate a monetary strength of a minimum of U.S. $722-800 per month. This will include your living costs and expenses. Living costs vary from location to location. As an example, living in Munich, Berlin, and Frankfurt on the Main, can price you more than any other place in Germany.
Health Insurance: A health insurance, either from India that covers Germany too, or one from Germany itself is mandatory. Generally, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is to obtain German health insurance services for free.
How to Apply for Visa in Germany?
The full-time student visa for study is called the German Study Visa Visa in Germany.
Three are three types of study visa-
- Student Visa- For those who have been accepted in German Universities for study.
- Student Applicant Visa- For those students who wish to study in Germany but still haven’t finalized on their course or stream.
- Language Course Visa- For those students intending to pursue a language course.
The requirement is that you are enrolled with a legal education provider for a full-time course. This includes schools, tertiary study post secondary school, distance-learning and even English language-based study.
Further, you should be able to pay complete fees for your course. The visa allotted lasts up to three months. The visa lasts as long as your course duration. It visa allows you to work for twenty hour a week during regular study and full-time during vacations. This work permission based on the course lasts up to one to two years. It is advised that you apply for the visa at least three months in advance. You have to apply at the German Embassy or the German Consulate.
The process is as follows-
- Document Verification
Apply for the Residence Permit and Entry-permission in Germany. You should meet all the requirement needs of the Immigration Department or the Resident’s Registration Office. It is also called the Alien Registration Office. Provide your photographs and required biometric details. Get travel and education funds approved. Evidence for potential accommodation. Proof of a return air ticket or equal funds to buy one.
Documents Required for Study Visa in Germany
For study visa in Germany, you shall need the following-
- Admission Evidence- Your Admission Letter or Offer Letter from the University or Institution.
- Identity Documents- Passport, National Identity Card and Birth Certificate.
- English Proficiency Certificate- test scores such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE.
- Character Certificate- A good character certificate from the police.
- Employment Records and Certificates.
- Medical or Fitness Certificates
- Health Insurance Documents
- Financial Documents- Proof of Living funds upto 8,640 Euros per annum,
- Study and Travel Funds and Sponsorship
- Proof of Paid Visa Fees
How to Apply for Visa in Germany?
The visa application process is as follows-
- Application Form– Log on to the Online Immigration Portal for German Student Visa and fill in the application form.
- Process– Make the account, file the application and keep a check on the application.
- Fee Payment– Pay the Visa fee via Bank Transfer. The fee is about 60 Euros.
- Submit the Form– Submit the required documents. Keep a check on communications from the Immigration Department.
- Interview and Biometric– After your application is processed, you may be asked to attend an Interview. You may even be asked to provide biometric details and photographs. Be prepared for the same.
To sum up, if you have the chance to study in Germany, then you definitely should try the top universities mentioned above and make the application as advised. You study will provide you with great job opportunities and can help you with immigration as well.