Central Scholarship Scheme was designed by the Central Government for college and university students. It is a centrally-funded scholarship granted to underprivileged and disadvantaged students on merit basis by the Department of Higher Education of MHRD.
The Government encourages the education of less privileged through scholarships. For example, a federal or state ministry of education usually publicizes on yearly basis, subsidized education for qualified citizens. Department of Higher Education, owned by the Ministry of Human Resources Development, has the responsibility to run this program smoothly under the Central government of India.
This scheme is in working mode since 2008. W.E.F. 1/1/2013 the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students has disbursed the scholarship directly into the bank account of the beneficiaries.
Check Out: National Scholarship Portal (NSP)
Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for college and University Students
The Department of Education introduced the Central sector Scholarship in 1961 – 62. It was given to students who are excellent in academics but belong to economically backward families from class XI to Post-Graduation level. Department of Education in 1971-72, also introduced a scheme of secondary scholarship for brilliant but underprivileged kids from rural areas from class VI to class XII.
The above-mentioned schemes were combined and one scheme namely ‘National Merit Scholarship Scheme’ which was established by the Department of education. This scheme was designed for students holding merit from class IX to post-graduation. Later on, funds for the scheme were not made available by the Planning Commission. The scheme was therefore discontinued. A new Department took over the school education namely the Department of School Education and Literacy. It introduced a new scheme for the lower-income groups. The deserving students were given scholarships based on merit. These students belonged to class IX to class XII. The Scheme was later given the name: “Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students“.
There are schemes available for students belonging to below threshold economic level. However, students performing exceptionally well get benefit out of it. Mediocre performance will fetch nothing. They can also approach NGOs based on performance. The certain state governments also reward meritorious students with scholarship, they also assist in facilitating higher studies. Students should check the state govt education department portal, they may find something useful for themselves.
Also Read: National Scholarship/NSP
Central Sector Scholarship Amount
The scholarship amount is distributed equally to both boys and girl students. This means, out of 82,000, 41,000 scholarships are granted and awarded to boys and the remaining 41,000 to the girl students.
Objectives of Central Sector Scholarship
The main objective of this scholarship is to provide support to finance to economically deprived families.The MHRD sponsored scholarship has many objectives which are mentioned below:
- The Central Sector scholarship especially targets the economically backward and low-income students to provide various educational benefits to them.
- The scholarship is particularly formulated to assist these families with any kind of financial help.
- Technical, as well as non-technical streams, can be chosen by students which will be entirely covered under the scholarship.
- This scholarship aids graduates as well as postgraduate students.
- The scholarship specifically targets the age group of 18-25 years.
- Apart from ICSE and CBSE groups, the state government disburses the scholarships to other boards as well, to maintain and promote transparency in the system.
- The ratio of disbursement of the scholarship is 3:2:1 for science, commerce and arts respectively. The Scholarship aims at promoting scientific learning majorly.
Check Out: PRERANA Scholarship
Central Sector Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- The candidates must pursue courses on a regular basis.
- The applicants must belong to the top 20% of the merit list released by the concerned boards in the HSC examinations. (CBSE/ICSE/SEB)
- The annual income of the family must not exceed INR 6 lakhs.
- Reservation of 7.5%, 15%, 27%, and 5% respectively will be provided to the candidates who belong to the reserved category ST, SC, OBC, and PWD.
- They must not get any perks or benefits from other scholarships.
- The students who are pursuing any other kind of diploma courses are not eligible for this scholarship.
Also Read: Santoor Scholarship for Girls
Central Sector Scholarship for UG Students
- A grant of INR 10000 is provided to students every year in case they are pursuing a three-year degree course.
- A grant of INR 20000 is provided to students in case they are pursuing a five-year integrated professional course in the 4th and 5th year of studies each.
- For other technical courses, students receive the scholarship amount till they complete the course.
Check Out: Vidyasiri Scholarships for OBC Students
Central Sector Scholarship for PG Students
A grant of INR 20000 will be provided to all students pursuing studies at the postgraduate level.
Central Sector Scholarship Last Date
The dates of the events related to the scholarship are bound to change every year. A few basic timelines however are:
- Every year, in the month of July, the official notification is released by the concerned authorities.
- The Due date for submission of the application is usually in the last week of October Applications submit a post this is not accepted by the concerned authorities.
Check Out: Minority Scholarships
Central Sector Scholarship Application Form
Students need to login to the official website to apply for the Central sector scholarship. Central Sector Scholarship application usually starts in the month of July and ends in the month of the last week of October. Application time may be different every year or vary from year to year.
Also Read: MHRD Scholarship
How to fill the Central Sector Scholarship form
- Students who wish to apply for this scholarship need to register as a new user under NSP if they are applying for the first time.
- They need to fill in all the necessary information and click on the register button. Immediately, students receive user Id and password to their registered mobile number.
- After receiving the user Id and password students need to login to the NSP portal.
- In case a student wishes to change the password, he/she must enter the OTP which is received on their registered mobile number.
- After updating the new password, applicants will be redirected to the home page and are required to click on the application form tab to commence the application process.
- After that, students need to fill in all the relevant details which are required like basic details, academic details, and selection of the scheme as per the eligibility.
- Students are required to attach all the required documents alongside the application form.
- Lastly, students need to review the entire application form before they confirm the application and after confirming, students may proceed to submit the application.
- All online Scholarships are verified at two stages. The first time is when they are at the institute stage while the students are pursuing their studies and the other stage is when they pass their higher secondary board level examination.
Check Out: Pre Matric Scholarship
Central Sector Scholarship Documents Required
Following are the documents required to apply for the scholarship as scanned copies:
- Bank Passbook of the applicant for filling bank details
- E-mail ID
- Aadhaar card number of the candidate
- A valid mobile number (To receive the OTP)
- Parental income certificate
- Disability certificate (if applicable)
- Caste certificate.
Bank account Details
- The bank account holder should be the student himself
- There is a drop-down list that provides the names of all the banks. Students must choose their branch name prudently.
- Students are required to enter their complete bank account number properly and recheck it.
- Students must be KYC registered and in case they are not KYC registered, they must do so as soon as possible for the transfer of scholarship amount.
- Students must have a bank account in a recognized bank or a nationalized bank with a core banking facility.
Check Out: UP Scholarship Status 2019-20
Central Sector Scholarship Renewal
For the renewal of Scholarship, you have to apply on separate renewal online form. The renewal will depend on the following facts:
- Your promotion to the next grade with a total of 60% or more marks or equivalent Grade Point Average in aggregate for the previous two semesters or of the annual examination; which determines your promotion to the next class.
- Also, it will be dependent on discipline and maintenance of your regular attendance which should be at least 75%.
- If you are not able to sit for the annual examination because of an illness and; or on account of any unforeseen event; the scholarship may be transferred and renewed for the next academic year on submission of evidence like a medical certificate and some other proof to satisfy the Head of the Institution. Also, the Head of the institution will certify that you would have passed with 60% or equivalent Grade Point Average, had you appeared in the examination.
- And, any complaints against you regarding indiscipline including any complaints of having indulged in ragging would lead to forfeiture of scholarship.
- You can continue or renew your scholarship; if you have changed the course of study to a stream not offered by your school Board in class XII such as Law, Fashion Technology, etc.
The decision of the MHRD will be final and binding in all such matters. Scholarship once canceled will not be revived under any circumstances.
Central Sector Scholarship Contact Details:
In case of any queries or questions regarding the scholarship, students can call or visit the office in person. Attendants are available at all times to help out the students with the entire process and make it easy and hassle-free.
Students can call at the concerned office on these numbers: 011-26172917/ 011-26172491/011- 26165238
Address: National Scholarship Division, MHRD,
Department of Higher education,
West block 1, 2nd floor, 6th wing, room no.6,
K. Puram, sector 1, New Delhi – 110066.
Central Sector Scholarship Benefits
- Ensures inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning for all equally.
- It provides a platform for innovation, communication, collaboration, and extensive research to lower sections of the society.
- Ensures adequate availability of quality faculty in educational institutions specially for underprivileged students and ensures capacity building at all levels of employment.
- It combines traditional educational systems with modern opportunities to bring out the best in students.
- It provides all learners from backward sections with capabilities they require to become economically productive and independent, develop sustainable livelihoods, contribute to peaceful and democratic societies, and enhance individual well-being.
- Optimum allocation of resources to all students equally.
One thing always remains constant: the more education people have access to, over and above high secondary education, the better their opportunities and prospects are. Lack of finance hampers the growth of the financial prosperity of deserving students from lower-income groups.
Scholarships help these students come out of the low-income background and establish a better overall standard of living for themselves. The central sector scholarship aims at filling the gap between the low-income groups and the rich. It’s a step to take the country forward and eradicate the problem of poverty and illiteracy which are currently the most pressing problem that the country is facing.