Source: UBC Prospective Undergraduates
In recent years, Canada has become one of the best educational hotspots. It provides quality education and living standards, which are the highest in the world. You get the quality education at affordable rates. The degrees from Canadian universities are of great value, comparable to those of Australia and USA. Universities also provide ample research and internship opportunities during your course period.
Apart from academics, Canada is also a very beautiful place. There are many tourist places and you can enjoy both on campus and off campus life. And the most important of all, students are given security inside the university and across the country. Inexpensive healthcare has put Canada on the top country to live in for past 8 years.
But before you pack your bags for Canada, it is necessary to know that you need to give an English proficiency test, called the International English Language Testing System (or IELTS for short). If you are applying for any college, for permanent residency or Canadian citizenship, you need to show the test score as a proof. But it is not necessary to give the IELTS exam.
Can I go to Canada without taking IELTS?
It depends on the reason for immigration. If you are going to Canada as a tourist, then it is not necessary to give IELTS. If you are going to Canada for a job and you have a work permit, you don’t necessarily give IELTS, but this depends on the company rules. Though many of them don’t ask for IELTS, for some reason they may ask for your score and then you need to give the exam. When applying for permanent residency for Canada, the IELTS becomes necessary. If you are going to Canada for study purposes, IELTS is not required, though if you apply for colleges providing higher education, IELTS is mandatory.
How to go to Canada without IELTS from India?
The methods of going to Canada are plenty. They differ based on reasons for going. If you have a job offer in Canada, you can just catch a plane and reach there, because basic requirement for a work permit in Canada is you have a job offer and a sponsorship which the company usually provides. If your reason for visiting Canada is study-related, then the requirement of IELTS depends on the college. Some colleges may want to see your IELTS score to ensure you are fluent in English, while some may not require IELTS at all. It’s always better to check the website of college you are applying to check for the requirements. However, you can’t get a PR in Canada without IELTS. It is a mandatory document for obtaining PR, but alternatives like the CELPIP exist, along with a sponsorship.
How to get admission in Canada without IELTS?
Study permits don’t need you to give IELTS exam. But the requirement of IELTS score depends on the program you are applying for. If you are aiming for specific masters or bachelor’s degree programs in Canada, then you are for a bad luck. Some of these programs request your IELTS score and it is not possible to get admissions without it. On the bright side, some universities like Concordia University and the University of Winnipeg offer degree programs without IELTS exam. You can always join these colleges, but better check the terms and conditions on their website before making your decision.
The easy way to go to Canada without IELTS?
Your reason for going to Canada is the deciding factor for the methods you can use to go to Canada. If you are applying for study programs in Canada, then join a university which doesn’t mandate the IELTS score. This is usually a faster and safer method of applying to universities in Canada. While applying for work permits, IELTS is generally not requested. The only requirements are a job offer from the company and sponsorship, which is usually provided by your employer. In case they request, then you need to give the IELTS. But it is not possible to get PR in Canada without IELTS. It is one of the basic requirements of obtaining PR because if you stay in Canada, they want to make sure that you can effectively speak and understand English, one of the major languages of Canada, the other one being French. Though there are alternatives to IELTS, it is considered a more accurate measure of your English proficiency.
How to go to Canada without IELTS for Study?
Canada has become one of the student’s preferred countries to study in. There are many good institutions in Canada which provide quality education and are comparable to those of USA and Australia. Many of them need English proficiency test scores to determine your eligibility for their institutions. But there are some colleges which don’t require the IELTS scores. They grant admission based on the applicant’s English scores at a school level and some random proficiency tests. In these cases, you should check the websites of the college for their requirements to make the admission process less complicated.
How to go to Canada without IELTS for Job?
It is a dream of many people to get a job in Canada. The employee services are good and are more quality oriented than work quantity oriented. IELTS is not a VISA. It is an English proficiency test which is used to check your speaking, listening, reading and writing skills and judge whether you will be able to communicate well if you immigrate to Canada. If you are aiming to get a job in Canada, IELTS is not necessary. Though some employers may request to see your IELTS score, in which case you will have to take the IELTS exam, many of them don’t usually want it.
Apply for After Study Work Permit in Canada
It is usually seen that students, after completing their graduation from Canada, prefer to work in Canada itself. This becomes a problem because it needs either one or both of the following: the availability of work permit and eligibility for permanent residence.
To apply for a post-graduation work permit, you must fulfil the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of applying.
- You should have continuously studied full time in Canada in a degree program which lasts for at least 8 months.
- Have graduated from a registered institution of Canada.
- Have document from your institution confirming you passed in all program core courses.
- Should have applied for a work permit within 90 days from the day your program ended.
- Have a valid study permit at the time of applying for a work permit
Apply for Permanent Residence in Canada without IELTS
Canada provides several programs which enable an individual to apply for a PR in Canada. Though IELTS is one of the basic requirements for PR, these programs offer an alternative to IELTS, like the Canada Language Benchmark (CLB). CLB is the Canadian standard for measuring and assessing the English proficiency of people wanting to obtain PR in Canada.
The jobs in Canada are classified into 5 types and this classification is called National Occupation Classification (NOC). For immigration, these are the main groups:
- Skill Type 0: These refer to management jobs.
- Skill Level A: Jobs that require university degrees.
- Skill Level B: The technical jobs that require a college diploma or training before recruiting.
- Skill Level C: The jobs that require job specific training.
- Skill Level D: Labor jobs that provide on-site training.
The various programs offered for applying for a PR are:
Canadian Experience Class
To apply for a PR via this program, you need to satisfy the following conditions first:
- Strong English skills, with CLB 7 for NOC 0 or A, else CLB 5 for rest of the NOCs.
- Experience of working in Canada in NOC 0, A or B.
- 1 year of working experience in Canada.
- Higher preference if you have a job offer and Canadian Education.
Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
To apply for a PR via FSWP, you need to satisfy the following conditions first:
- Strong English skills, with CLB 7 for all NOCs.
- Experience of working in Canada in NOC 0, A or B.
- 1 year of working experience in Canada, either full time or part time job equivalent to one year.
- Higher preference if you have a job offer.
- Secondary education is needed. Higher preference for post-secondary education.
Federal Skilled Trade
To apply for a PR via this program, you need to satisfy these conditions:
- Strong English skills, with CLB 5 for speaking and listening, while CLB 4 for reading and writing.
- Experience of working in Canada in NOC B.
- 2 years of working experience in the last 5 years.
- An offer of a full-time job is required for at least 1 year.
- Higher preference for having Canadian Education.
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
Before applying for a PR via PNP, you must fulfil these criteria:
- Strong English skills. The required NOC depends on the provinces.
- Experience in working is dependent on provincial rules.
- Work experience, job offer, and educational requirements are province dependent.
Atlantic Immigration Pilot
Applying for this program demands the following:
- Strong English skills with CLB 4 minimum.
- Type and amount of work experience are not required.
- Job offer should be of NOC 0, A, B or C and should last for at least 1 year from the day PR is granted.
- Must have graduated from publicly funded post-secondary college in Atlantic Canada.
- The job should be offered by an employer of Atlantic Canada.
How to go to Canada without IELTS for PR (Permanent Residence)?
Unlike going to Canada for a job or study, unfortunately for permanent residence, you will need to give IELTS test. It is one of the basic requirements for obtaining PR status in Canada. But there are some options which you can choose in case you want to avoid IELTS at all costs. You can give another English proficiency test of Canada, called the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program or CELPIP for short, which acts as an alternative to IELTS. Your relatives can sponsor you for PR, but they need to be staying in Canada for more than 1 year and need to have a PR for themselves before they can sponsor you.
Canada is one of the best countries to study, work and live in. The facilities provided, and the general services are among the best in the world and attract a lot of people every year. You can go to Canada for work and study purposes, granted you have some prerequisites fulfilled like work permit and sponsorship from the company without the need for IELTS. But getting permanent residency requires you to produce your English proficiency test score and sponsorship from your relatives. Alternatives to IELTS exist, so you are not confined to only one exam.